Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What code readers work on these diesels? I cant find the thread, but it stated that some are outdated and cheap now but will work?
thx any imput appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
I bought a VIN locked Superchips programmer just to read the codes because there are so many "diesel specific" codes that a, regular, OBDII reader wouldn't be any good for.

I've since moved on to an AutoEnginuity ;)

I'd sell my old on for what I paid for it on eBay....... ($65)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can I pay to get that unlocked, woul it work on a 99 7.3?
Its cool if its just a code reader.

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
I'm sure you can pay them and they'll unlock it for you (I've heard from others that you can talk them into unlocking it for free with the right story ;) ) and yes, it's for a 99-03 7.3. the model number is #1705.

What was important for me was that it would read the diesel codes for this motor and I bought it for that reason alone. It was advertised as "Vin Locked" and that's why it was priced at fraction of it's, unlocked, value.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had bully dog unlock one for me for free.
i will take it. Do you do paypal? pm me
where are you?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Our trucks are not OBDII compliant due to their GVWR, you need a scanner that has the PSD software. The cheapest way to just read codes is to look on Ebay for a Supercraps programmer, don't use their tunes, but it will read codes. Better yet by the AE software and be able to run all the diagnostic tests that Ford can run. I bought it and messed around with it a bit and it is awesome, actually incredible for the price!!

NCH

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the ae software, what is that? is it a handheld piece?
how much?
why not use superchips programming? Isn't superchips= sct?

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
AE is the AutoEnginuity unit I referred to upgrading to in my first reply here. It's much more than a code reader alone, it's a real diagnostic tool that allows you to scan all codes as well as test many components.

I paid @ $700 but got the package that will do the "Big 3" domestic cars. I think you can get the enhanced, Ford only, for around 1/2 that.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts