Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have code p0603 popping up at times anybody ever had this before?:dunno:
P0603= Powertrain Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
I think this is causing my tranny to not shift right at times with the tuner intalled (bully dog GT Diesel). I uninstalled BD-GT after I call BD and got an unlock code form them because it wouldn't uninstall the tune that it had. The tech asked if the truck had been reflashed or the batteries unhooked, I told him NO. So that lead me to check for codes and thats when I found it. And also it started surging at idle last night, it acted as if it was going to die, but didn't, then went back to idling normal. It is stock as of last weekend, any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Blake

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(Forgot) The truck is 2004 f250 SD FX4 6.0L eclb with only 96K on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, there isn't anybody that's had this code (P0603) or lost there PCMs memory with a tuner installed that has caused the tranny to shift delayed or hunt gears? Wow I guess I am the only lucky one!

Thanks for looking at this, if you could pass it on to somebody you know that could help I would appreciate it!!!!

Blake.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Do a key on engine running test, key on engine off, contribution test... check your icp voltage, fuel pressure... etc It sounds to me that your engine running issue is causing what you percieve as a transmission problem. Is it back to stock right now? If not but it back to stock

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I have new batteries in the truck and have checked the cables too. So thats not it, but Thanks.:thumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do a key on engine running test, key on engine off, contribution test... check your icp voltage, fuel pressure... etc It sounds to me that your engine running issue is causing what you percieve as a transmission problem. Is it back to stock right now? If not but it back to stock
The truck is back to stock as of 5-19:( . So you thank that it may be engine related problem? OK, but this is what has happened, (First time) I was playing around with the different settings on tuner. It has, stock- tow- performance- extreme and had adjusted from tow to extreme and took off from 20mph kick the truck took off fine then all of sudden the tranny didn't shift and the engine was at 4k rpm on the tach. I let off the throttle and then it shifted hard, It only did it once that was it for about three weeks. (Second Time) I was in traffic running about 40mph when the tranny started hunting gears. It rev up to 3k then you fill it shift but not hard as before then back down to about 1500rpms or so did that about four times as I was driving then it was fine! (Third Time) the same day as 2nd Time, but had traveled about 3 to 4 miles to the highway running about 55mph went to pass a car it kicked down fine (tuner was in tow). Passed car let off throttle didn't up shift, I was up to 3000rpm. Stabbed throttle twice then it shifted to 5th and was fine the rest of my trip. That freaked me out a little and wanted to check and see if it did it with the tuner uninstalled and so on. Its has been fine other then the idling thing that it did the other night. That's it and the code p0603, but it has not popped up again after the last time I cleared it. Every time this has happened the truck was up to temp not cold. I'll do the test tonight and see what I find out. THANKS for the help!!! Just wanted to see what somebody though about it too!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The truck is back to stock as of 5-19:( . So you thank that it may be engine related problem? OK, but this is what has happened, (First time) I was playing around with the different settings on tuner. It has, stock- tow- performance- extreme and had adjusted from tow to extreme and took off from 20mph kick the truck took off fine then all of sudden the tranny didn't shift and the engine was at 4k rpm on the tach. I let off the throttle and then it shifted hard, It only did it once that was it for about three weeks. (Second Time) I was in traffic running about 40mph when the tranny started hunting gears. It rev up to 3k then you fill it shift but not hard as before then back down to about 1500rpms or so did that about four times as I was driving then it was fine! (Third Time) the same day as 2nd Time, but had traveled about 3 to 4 miles to the highway running about 55mph went to pass a car it kicked down fine (tuner was in tow). Passed car let off throttle didn't up shift, I was up to 3000rpm. Stabbed throttle twice then it shifted to 5th and was fine the rest of my trip. That freaked me out a little and wanted to check and see if it did it with the tuner uninstalled and so on. Its has been fine other then the idling thing that it did the other night. That's it and the code p0603, but it has not popped up again after the last time I cleared it. Every time this has happened the truck was up to temp not cold. I'll do the test tonight and see what I find out. THANKS for the help!!! Just wanted to see what somebody though about it too!

Thanks again!
OK, a thought crossed my mind that if the PCM loses it memory then the tranny loses its strategy as well and then the tranny needs to go through the re-learn prose again, but with the tuner installed and the extra power it shifts hard and delayed during that time till it relearns then its fine! Untill the code P0603 happens again and the memory is lost then the shifting problems happen again and it just keeps cycling again and again. So if I fix what is causing the code then the tranny will re-learn and all will be happy in tuner and tranny Land!:woot:

·
Registered
309 Posts
the trans has to relearn shift patterns? never heard that before.

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Ok heres the deal. The p0603 comes up because you are changing tunes with the bully dog. P0603 is keep alive memory reset. It means you replaced the stock program with the BD program.

It has nothing to do with the trans shifting. The shifting problem you are having is because the shift strategies in the bully dog suck. Replace it with a custom tuned SCT

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can this Keep alive memory error make the tranny shift roughly and delayed ino reverse and also rough shift and get stuck in fourth gear with tow haul flashing? I'm getting a keep alive memory error code as well with those symptoms I've listed here.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Got diagnosis from dealership. They seem to think its the Clutch fan? Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
56 Posts
So, there isn't anybody that's had this code (P0603) or lost there PCMs memory with a tuner installed that has caused the tranny to shift delayed or hunt gears? Wow I guess I am the only lucky one!

Thanks for looking at this, if you could pass it on to somebody you know that could help I would appreciate it!!!!

Blake.
i have same problem!!! could you tell me how u fixed it? i already bought new tranny and still have the problem i also just pulled a code for my IPC sensor im gonna replace that tomorrow and see how that goes if you have any ideas or know what your problem was that would be great thanks! i have 03 F250 Fx4 with 78k

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm dealing with this off and on myself.
Also have speed sensor out on tail of trans.
Went through 3 ICPs and a IPR. Truck won't even run if I have my glow shift HPOP gauge piggy tailed into the ICP signal wire..... Crazy stuff.
On a rare occasion I get a 1316, just did UVCH, GPs, wiring to UVCH to harness. Truck has 455k miles on it.
Rebuilt turbo pedestal, fuel bowl delete all just done as well... I know I have good fuel pressure the thing has 70psi...
I didn't need a IPR either, bought it to see it it was the problem, but nope.
Truck has a Edge Evo, I'm on the stock tune right now. I was using the #1 tow tune, but once the problems I stopped.
It really doesn't run well if I try a tune.
I'm waiting on a ELM adapter so I can check this thing out with Torque.
But I do have funny shifting going on. Anytime truck is turned off and just started it will delay shifting for a few seconds, then after that it doesn;t. It sometimes locks up the converter when it shouldn't be (no OD button prev owner broke shifter LOL) and sometimes shifts hard and other times just perfect. I'm stumped.
Wondering if it is the HPOP but I don't have cold or hot starting issues, it starts down to 17f first try no problem and not much smoke either.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned I have a 7.3 not a 6.0, but all the same sometimes I get the 603 error. I have a edge evo, sometimes it winds up just shutting off when I'm driving (the Evo). I'm wondering if my PCM is going bad, truck runs rough, been through 3 ICPs and a IPR....

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned I have a 7.3 not a 6.0, but all the same sometimes I get the 603 error. I have a edge evo, sometimes it winds up just shutting off when I'm driving (the Evo). I'm wondering if my PCM is going bad, truck runs rough, been through 3 ICPs and a IPR....
Got it. You have drifted into 6.0 land.

I posted the 7.3L PC/ED here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7-3l-general-powerstroke-discussion/1286306-ford-7-3l-diesel-powertrain-control-emissions-diagnostic-service-manual-1998-99-a.html

...and I agree. Things aren't looking well for your PCM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts