Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend one other 2006 Ford owner had the light come on and he was going to have his turbo cleaned.
I checked everything out and got a code PO299.
I checked the sheets and the code PO298,300 has to do with oil temperatures so I assumed it was the temperature differential newly installd in the latest revision,so I told him to watch his hard pulling.
The code cannot be cancelled with my scangauge also.

He also also had the turbo cleaned 3 times in 25K miles so I told him how to cycle the rings in the turbo and possibly just unplug the EGR valve when doing his small runs around home, I figured that the truck Idles a lot, he has it for sale due to the problems, but I would stay away from this low miles unit compared to mine with higher mileage.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The oil cooler is plugged up causing the light and code. The EGR cooler is blown out and the turbo is eating a lot of water causing it to need cleaned all the time because it's rusting up. THE FIX : cooling system flush, cat ELC, new oil cooler and EGR delete, Clean turbo again and then drive truck many years with out problems. Keep going like this and it will need head gaskets soon. IMHO

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
The oil cooler is plugged up causing the light and code. The EGR cooler is blown out and the turbo is eating a lot of water causing it to need cleaned all the time because it's rusting up. THE FIX : cooling system flush, cat ELC, new oil cooler and EGR delete, Clean turbo again and then drive truck many years with out problems. Keep going like this and it will need head gaskets soon. IMHO
The only code he is getting is the turbo underboost code. No other code. He looked up the code and could not find it, and assumed what it meant by the codes surrounding it (which were wrong anyway).

The P0298 code indicates that an EOT sensor range/preformance fault has been detected. P0298 is set when the vehicle has been operating at less than 1000rpm and less than 20/mgstroke mass fuel desired (MFDES) with the EOT sensor signal reading above 110°C (230°F). The time to set the fault is dependent on the EOT and IAT temperatures and can vary between 15 and 45 minutes.
Possible causes for this code:

EOT sensor
EOT sensor circuitry
cooling system
thermostat
PCM

VERY different from the P012F correlation code, though it may warrant checking out the egr valve hole for moisture.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the PO299 figured now.
His truck had a clean Degas bottle and the coolant looked fine.
He could not tell me if the dealer had flushed it.

The truck started cold with 12 differential in oil temperature and coolant and after idling for while the differential got closer. So I figured it looked good. But never did a running check. He did tell me he was able to cycle the turbo to over 20PSI in a trip to the store but he did not have my scagauge with him.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it was even on startup, then water temp increased at a greater rate then the oil and hit 12 def and then was 5 def at about 140 f coolant.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Get the truck up to normal operating temps (unloaded)
Take it out on the highway, find a long flat (as possible) section, set cruise for 55-60 MPH. After 10-15 minutes of cruising, check the eot/ect delta.
The numbers mean little any other time other than for reference, especially cruising around town.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts