Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new clutch since mine is starting to slip. Haven't read much on the forum regarding clutches for the 6.0. Well I was wondering what everyone is running and why. I'm looking for a good street clutch but want it to hold up occasional truck pulls and drags. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone out there has to be running a performance clutch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just put a south bend single disc with dual ceramic in the work truck and it is a pretty aggressive clutch. There isn't much slipping especially once the flywheel warms up. It is not a very good street clutch. I wish I would have gone withe the ceramic Kevlar one. If you are going to do any sled pulling you should probably look into a dual disc set up. On a side note there aren't very many of these trucks out there with a manual so you probably wont get too much response. I personally hate this truck with the manual. It seems you have to slip the crap out of it when stuck or pulling a load. The 6.0 and a manual just aren't a very good combo in my opinion.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I'm not sure about what material i need I was leaning towards a valair but like you said there are different compounds. Guess I just gotta call the companies up and see what they got to say and compare.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You really need to decide what you wanna do with the truck. If you drive in traffic or in the city a lot I think you will get really tired of dealing with the dual ceramic. I see valaiher has a ceramic Kevlar rated for 500 horse. That is the clutch I would go with if I could do it over. I don't know how well it would hold up to sled pulling though.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Southbend con ofe and leave it it's a very streetable clutch rated for like 550 or 600 horse I think may be lower but i love mine

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You really need to decide what you wanna do with the truck. If you drive in traffic or in the city a lot I think you will get really tired of dealing with the dual ceramic. I see valaiher has a ceramic Kevlar rated for 500 horse. That is the clutch I would go with if I could do it over. I don't know how well it would hold up to sled pulling though.
Yeah that's what I was thinking all my buddies say dual disk (they all sled pull on a regular basis) but I want a street clutch and occasionally maybe a sled pull I'm thinking a single from valair. But at the same time I rather over kill it so down the line if I choose to pull it or make more power I don't need to do it twice. Decisions decisions

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can't give much input on the dual disc. I have never driven one. If you are able to slip it a bit it might not be too bad for the street. I just know that the single ceramic I have is pretty much engaged or not which doesn't make for a very good daily driver. Especially when I get stuck at all the stop lights in Minot ND going up the hills out of town.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't give much input on the dual disc. I have never driven one. If you are able to slip it a bit it might not be too bad for the street. I just know that the single ceramic I have is pretty much engaged or not which doesn't make for a very good daily driver. Especially when I get stuck at all the stop lights in Minot ND going up the hills out of town.
Yeah I'm leaning towards the Kevlar reinforced one from valair single disc I want a street truck since it is my everyday driver. When your clutch went out did you start to notice it getting harder and harder to shift into all the gears?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah launching hard is not a good idea on stock clutch lmao I did it once and that's enough for me lol well I did my master and slave already now just time for the clutch. Well thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts