Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever upgraded the little plastic clutch fork anchor on a ZF6? I'm going to be putting a clutch in soon and I don't trust that little plastic POS. I've heard of them breaking. Is there a better option or a way to modify the plastic one to be stronger?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has improved this crap design?

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent south bend a message, we'll see what they have to say. As of right now I put some screws and washers on it.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
South bend said they only offer the factory plastic one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I replaced mine when I put in a south bend clutch last year. The old one didn't seem in terrible shape. I agree though it seems like an awfully cheap design for the transmission. My toyota has a metal ball that screws into the bell housing. You may want to try an upgrade from the stock clutch fork to a hydraulic release bearing from Tilton or Clutch masters. I upgraded my RA60F to a clutchmasters release bearing and it's much improved shifting over stock.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks like a nice set up. I'll look into that if they have one for our trucks.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a quick look, it appears they don't have one specifically for our trucks. They have universals but that sounds like a pain to get set up.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I replaced mine when I put in a south bend clutch last year. The old one didn't seem in terrible shape. I agree though it seems like an awfully cheap design for the transmission. My toyota has a metal ball that screws into the bell housing. You may want to try an upgrade from the stock clutch fork to a hydraulic release bearing from Tilton or Clutch masters. I upgraded my RA60F to a clutchmasters release bearing and it's much improved shifting over stock.

Which release did you get? They don't list one for our trucks. Oh wait, I see you put that on the Toyota. Did you try to find something for the ZF-6?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which release did you get? They don't list one for our trucks. Oh wait, I see you put that on the Toyota. Did you try to find something for the ZF-6?
I looked on both websites but I didn't see one. I did see some stuff for Mustangs though, and I think I might upgrade mine whenever the clutch goes in it.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did not get one for the ZF-6, but the universal one should be pretty easy to set up. You just need to set the proper gap for the bearing to pressure plate fingers, and make sure the one you're using will fit the quill shaft.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
I did not get one for the ZF-6, but the universal one should be pretty easy to set up. You just need to set the proper gap for the bearing to pressure plate fingers, and make sure the one you're using will fit the quill shaft.
Doesn't the Corvette or Mustang run a ZF-6?
Wonder if the one from a GM truck ZF6 would work.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Doesn't the Corvette or Mustang run a ZF-6?
Wonder if the one from a GM truck ZF6 would work.
The corvette and GM trucks ran them for several years. I think the housings were different so I'm not sure if that would bolt up or not. Here's a shot of the ZF-6 I took when I had mine out, it looks like maybe those holes on the GM one MIGHT line up to the front quill shaft plate on the ford units? Only way to know for sure would be to call someone like midwest transmissions or Tilton and get their input, otherwise you'll just be onto a science experiment which could take a while if you aren't willing to sacrifice the down time with the drivetrain removed.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
The corvette and GM trucks ran them for several years. I think the housings were different so I'm not sure if that would bolt up or not. Here's a shot of the ZF-6 I took when I had mine out, it looks like maybe those holes on the GM one MIGHT line up to the front quill shaft plate on the ford units? Only way to know for sure would be to call someone like midwest transmissions or Tilton and get their input, otherwise you'll just be onto a science experiment which could take a while if you aren't willing to sacrifice the down time with the drivetrain removed.
View attachment 774836
Be nice to have a modern throw-out bearing/slave cylinder. You know like they've been using almost 10 years before our trucks were made.

Reactions: ames485
1 - 16 of 16 Posts