Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to post this but I found and easy way to remove the clutch fan from the water pump yesterday while replacing my water pump.
If you use an air chisel on the nut and hammer quickly on the edge of the nut in the direction you want it to turn to break it free it works much better than the fan removal tool kit (which I tried first). Hope this helps someone!

Also thanks to Maintain for the great video on the water pump RnR

Jason

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Yup... it's how the dealers do it :thumb:

I don't own an air chisel though :sad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just had to pull mine and I did it pounding on a cresent wrench and holding it with a prybar on one of the pulley bolts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I would only do that if you are replacing the water pump, and not just the fan clutch.....learned that the hard way!! :thumb:

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
I usually use a strap wrench on the pulley, and slip-joint (water pump) pliers on the nut. Just wear work gloves so your hands don't get chewed up.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I have found that the biggest hurdle to removing a fan clutch is making sure that you are turning it the right direction.

Hint: they only come off in the *correct* direction. Other than that, just about any POS fan tool will work. I have a decent set because I do a lot of Ford diesels..

Oh, BTW, you truck guys have it easy. The fan clutch spindle is about an inch longer than on van, so you can actually get just about any thing in there (vice grips, channel locks, air chisels,etc). A van has about 1/2" less than you really need. Those flat clutch wrenches are the only thing that will work.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
I have found that the biggest hurdle to removing a fan clutch is making sure that you are turning it the right direction.

Hint: they only come off in the *correct* direction. Other than that, just about any POS fan tool will work. I have a decent set because I do a lot of Ford diesels..

Oh, BTW, you truck guys have it easy. The fan clutch spindle is about an inch longer than on van, so you can actually get just about any thing in there (vice grips, channel locks, air chisels,etc). A van has about 1/2" less than you really need. Those flat clutch wrenches are the only thing that will work.
that is so frickin true

i dont have a chisel so i used a wrench and some times a long screw driver and a hammer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts