Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 97 F-350. The clutch fan seems to always be engaged. Is this normal in the OBS, I have an 04 6.0 and have drove many super duty with 7.3's and the fan always disengages. Is it normal in these trucks or is something wrong?:icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
No that doesn't sound normal. They will usually spin hard at first start up with a cold engine and then disengage after a couple of minutes until the engine gets up to temp.

·
Registered
889 Posts
What makes you think the clutch is engaged? Are you talking about a full lock-up of the clutch, or partial?
My fan clutch rarely locks up, and never during typical cruising. I've got to be loaded down pretty well and pulling a grade. I like to call it my afterburner, as I can hear it in the cab even overtop of the engine whirling at 2800rpm.
How are your operating temps looking? IIRC correctly, a properly functioning clutch will lock when the air reaching it approaches 205* (air being passed through the radiator). As with any thermal viscous coupling, lockup will be gradual up to this point.
Let me know if you need a procedure other than FoMoCo's for testing the clutch.

·
Registered
230 Posts
the one in my dads super duty got stuck on (locked in fully at all times) and we replaced it now it wokrs like normal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts