Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 f250 with the 7.3. It has about 180,00 miles and overall it's in great shape. It has a clunk when I come to a stop and then clunks again when I start up. It's like a bad u-joint, but they're all good. I've checked the slip joint splines and althought they are a little loose, they don't have enough to cause this problem. I've checked the carrier bearing and it's OK. A transmission shop checked it out without finding anything and is guessing that it's slop in the spicer gears. You can get moving without the clunk if you ease down on the gas and creap away. But once you take the slack out of the drive line (or whatever) it clunks. I've been told to just drive it and you'll find out what it is eventually, when it breaks. I've only owned it for about 6 months so I don't have much history. Now I'm towing a 10,000 lb. 32' fifth wheel and would like to find it before I'm stranded. Please Help! This is driving me nuts! Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
305 Posts
My truck had kinda the same clunk you are talking about, but mine was mainly when i would hit the brakes. I took it in to have it looked at, they told me everything was fine with the driveline. So i took it back a few weeks later with the same complaint, and added my 4x4 doesn't work. So i had them check that and they found my ball joints were completely gone! So i would look into checkin your ball joints out, that might be your problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
same thing

I have an '02 F250 at work that I drive around in sometimes. has the same issue. I guess I will have to get the ball joints checked as well.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think I have the same problem, I think. I don't think its the ball joints, it seems like a drive line problem. I know some people say to lube some splines? I would like to know more about exactly where to lube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't mention that my 00 is a 2wd. It doesn't react when brakes are applied, only when the truck comes to a comes to a complete stop. Sometimes you can get it to clunk by "loading it" like powerbrakeing it. The slip joint seemed tight, but it wouldn't hurt to grease it anyway. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey ive had the same problem for 3 years i cant find it. I took my truck in when I bought it and had the do the steady bearing and clutches in the rear diff and it seamed good for a while. I notice it more when the temp outside is hotter. i checked my backlash a couple weeks ago and it was good. When i get my truck back im going to check the leaf spring bushings. Could it be axel wrap?? if i cant find the problem im just going to drive it till it breaks

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hey ive had the same problem for 3 years i cant find it. I took my truck in when I bought it and had the do the steady bearing and clutches in the rear diff and it seamed good for a while. I notice it more when the temp outside is hotter. i checked my backlash a couple weeks ago and it was good. When i get my truck back im going to check the leaf spring bushings. Could it be axel wrap?? if i cant find the problem im just going to drive it till it breaks
Did you try to grease the slip yoke as recommended?

·
Registered
257 Posts
ya i tried but it didnt help me

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
greased it today, only drove about 20 highway miles on the way home, but it seemed to fix it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ball Joints, jack up the wheels about 2 inches off the ground and put a long bar under the tire and lift up on the bar ,look at the lower ball joint from under the support and then the upper from on top. One bad one can sound like it comes from either side of the truck and makes a hell of a sound, caught mine just in time before I lost one side on a planned trip. saved about $1200.00 doing myself not the dealer.
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine does the same thing, i hear the noise in the drivetrain not in front.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mine dose the same thing but only dose it when she warms up a little(not the motor) but whatever is doing it, but at the same time i was told i have a shft kit so it could just be that but i dought it. if u ease in to it it dosent do it, harder u hit the gas the worse. Kinda bugs me i wish we could figure this out :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
19,445 Posts
Mine was my right side ball joints.

Jack up the front (either side or both). Grab the tire at the bottom and pull out /up at the same time. There isn't supposed to be any play. Mine had about a 1/2" of play. Had them replaced. No clunk since.

·
Registered
133 Posts
this may be a stupid question i havent had the truck long so i havent looked, but these trucks have ball joints if the have a straight axle and leaf springs on the front??

·
Super Moderator
19,445 Posts
this may be a stupid question i havent had the truck long so i havent looked, but these trucks have ball joints if the have a straight axle and leaf springs on the front??
Yep - Had my right upper/lower replaced about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
133 Posts
well good to know, now that i think about it im not sure how thought you could turn without them, lol. how much did that run u bc with 130000 miles i dought they have been done and rather its the problem or not i bet it needs them

·
Registered
133 Posts
well now that i think of it when i first got the truck i greased every grease point i could on the front end, Dose this mean they are after market or did they come w greaseable joints from the factory bc i know the 04 f150 i had didnt have grease zerts, Also if it is the ball if you greased the you would think the problem would get better and or go away..........or am i dreamin. Just thinkin off of my equipment maint. background

1 - 20 of 22 Posts