Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 96 7.3 and I haven't had a problem until now. My injector relay under the hood just non stop clicks when I turn the key to the run position. The check engine light comes on and the wait to start like doesn't come up until the clicking stops.ive switched them around and it still does the same thing. Does anyone have any idea as to what it might be? After waiting a minute or so it stops and I can start it and carry on as usual, but I'd like to be able to start it without worrying if I'll be spending the night in the truck. Any chance a bad alternator might some how cause that?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Likely a voltage problem. Have your alternator checked, but also check your batteries. Have them load tested independent from one another. Check all your battery cables and connections, both battery ends and opposite ends for cleanliness and tightness. The only time I saw this happen was in my BIL's 95 when one battery failed (heard a loud whump and then the clicking relays/flashing CEL). Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Likely a voltage problem. Have your alternator checked, but also check your batteries. Have them load tested independent from one another. Check all your battery cables and connections, both battery ends and opposite ends for cleanliness and tightness. The only time I saw this happen was in my BIL's 95 when one battery failed (heard a loud whump and then the clicking relays/flashing CEL). Cheers!

You're right! Thank you! It was a low/not stable voltage causing it. I haven't figured out what's going on with my voltage regulator, but still. If anyone else is having this problem and finds this, check your connections, clean your terminals and grounds, have your charging system checked, and look at your fuses/switch around your relays. Thank you to the nice gentleman who recommended the test!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
When my voltage was acting strange on my truck, I took the alternator off and removed the voltage regulator. The slip rings were messed up, so a rebuilt alternator later and all has been good. The replacement was just a Duralast Gold from AutoZone (limited lifetime warranty and pretty much can get one anywhere). It's been on there for years now, so maybe I just got lucky! Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts