Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2006 Ford F250 Super duty 6.0 which I believe came standard with 5 roof cab lights. The cab lights would come on when ever I turned my lights on only. They stopped working and I can't figure it out. All the fuses are good. All my parking marker lights work. All but the 5 cab lights. I checked all the bulbs and they all appear good. I don''t know where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe where the wires go down to and what side so I can find them. Thanks in advance, Tim

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hi, I have a 2006 Ford F250 Super duty 6.0 which I believe came standard with 5 roof cab lights. The cab lights would come on when ever I turned my lights on only. They stopped working and I can't figure it out. All the fuses are good. All my parking marker lights work. All but the 5 cab lights. I checked all the bulbs and they all appear good. I don''t know where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe where the wires go down to and what side so I can find them. Thanks in advance, Tim
Ugh.... To chase this out, the headliner needs to come out. It's not terribly difficult, but still a pita.
A wiring diagram helps, as you can start chasing at the headlight switch, but I don't have one.
It wouldn't be wrong to assume that water has corroded the wiring.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
31,380 Posts
you can get in there pretty good with the pillar covers/visors/grab handles and console out and front headliner pulled down a bit but i would check the pass side power first

if yours is not a dually I would bet that are not factory installed

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
you can get in there pretty good with the pillar covers/visors/grab handles and console out and front headliner pulled down a bit but i would check the pass side power first

Mines not a dually, factory clearance lights. Some people want them, some places require them (depending on use and weight rating).
Good point on just the front stuff removed.

·
Administrator
31,380 Posts
right some places require them but thats f350 weight territory AFAIK ?
I do not remember for sure maybe the lights were an option on the 250 i just wouldn't be surprised if the wire routing looks funny that it is a retro fit

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
right some places require them but thats f350 weight territory AFAIK ?
I do not remember for sure maybe the lights were an option on the 250 i just wouldn't be surprised if the wire routing looks funny that it is a retro fit
True, mine is an f350, but IIRC, clearance lights where options on any superduty at least in 04, when I sold them.
I honestly don't care for them, I replaced my roof warts with lower profile led lights because.... "Roof warts"

·
Administrator
31,380 Posts
lol I had none but added the Recon brand that was garbage then went to the Atomic strobes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugh.... To chase this out, the headliner needs to come out. It's not terribly difficult, but still a pita.
A wiring diagram helps, as you can start chasing at the headlight switch, but I don't have one.
It wouldn't be wrong to assume that water has corroded the wiring.

Hi, thanks for responding, I noticed when i was checking the bulbs that they only have one black wire going to them so I'm assuming that they run parallel so that if one light would go out the others would still work. but they all just stopped working together. The insides of each of the 5 lens were dry if that means anything. I pulled the light switch to see if there was anything easy to see but all was normal with two harness plugs ( one large one for the lights and the other for the dimmer. Don't know how much it would cost to have someone fix it but I'd rather fix it myself if Im able. Do you think that the corroded wire would be somewhere up by where the wire would go from the light into the roof and headliner area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

H, Thanks, When you say check the passenger side power do you mean the passenger side kick panel? I did open it up but i don't know what color the wiring is that is going up to the lights. I'm not even sure which side drivers or passengers side pillar the wires come down on. I'm trying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I was told the F250 super duty because of it's size and weight that it had to come with the clearance cab lights. But that's just what I was told.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Cab lights should be from the aux relay box up behind the heater controls
yeah, they are connected in parallel, so if none work, the power wire is not hot
schem shows a black ground wire -- brown for power

also shows that the same circuit powers the interior lights
do the dome lights come on with turning the dimmer switch to the notch?

Do your side mirror lights work?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I was told the F250 super duty because of it's size and weight that it had to come with the clearance cab lights. But that's just what I was told.
It's state by state. My state doesn't require them. It seems states that think an f350 needs to be licensed differently than a 150 or 250, will more likely require the lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cab lights should be from the aux relay box up behind the heater controls
yeah, they are connected in parallel, so if none work, the power wire is not hot
schem shows a black ground wire -- brown for power

also shows that the same circuit powers the interior lights
do the dome lights come on with turning the dimmer switch to the notch?

Do your side mirror lights work?
Yes dome lights work with dimmer switch and side mirror lights work too.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Then the problem is closer to the cab lights -- see if you can find that brown wire and black wire in the cab post
the schem shows a junction behind the center cab light - and a ground behind left side of dash

another thought -- connect your test light or meter to to a good ground -- then turn the lights on and test at a bulb socket both the hot and ground side
if the hot side is good, then the test light will glow
if the ground is not good the light will also glow

make sense?

Reactions: TheLinconlGreen

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
63 Posts
Good chance you have lost the ground. Have you checked the hot wire to a good ground to see if you have voltage?

·
Administrator
31,380 Posts
then they should all have cab lights but they don't
anyway def check the ground I used an OEM harness in my installation and thought the ground was up by the lights you can also check this with a meter and a bulb removed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts