Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as this seems to be a must according to some people when doing an egr delete. I am looking for a way to do it either by my self at home or having a shop do it while i wait. I found this kit and i want to know if anyone else has tried it or has any other methods of cleaning the intake WITHOUT taking it to a machine shop for a hot dip or whatever it is. This is for the guys who use their trucks as daily drivers and CAN'T afford to be without them for more than a weekend.

TechTip: Ford 6.0 Diesel EGR System Cleaning - - Hot Auto Products

6.0 BG Intake cleaning - New England Turbo Diesel Power

·
Registered
379 Posts
when i did mine i plugged all the holes filled with straight castrol super clean and let it sit a couple hours then took the garden hose to it and flushed it out real good. look just as good inside as the outside did. cost me like 15 bucks for the superclean. plus after draining it out of the intake i just put it in a bucket and let it sit for a few days and most of the deposits came out. ive been using it to clean the concrete at the house ever since.

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See this is what i was looking for. Thanks for the input. The only thing that scares me a little is hot getting all the chunks out and having one come loose and do some type of damage. How hard was it to get the intake out? The egr delete kit i have says that only partial removal is required, so what else is in the way if anything?

·
Registered
379 Posts
not sure on the 03's mine is an 04 but i think the intake is a little diffrent on the 03's they had a crosover tube in the back that connected the 2 runners together. I made my own delete kit for the egr. but youll want to get a turbo mounting kit. remove the alternator, remove charge air pipes, remove turbo, remove the fuel lines from fuel filter housing. remove oil filter cap and filter remove the 4or 5 bolts holding the filter housing on the oil filter stem. remove the intake bolts and slide it out. under the wire harness. dont forget to disconnect the ground wire on the left rearmost intake bolt. and dont forget to hook it back up. it only took me like 5-6 hours to do the delete on mine and i had to make everything.

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. I did buy the turbo kit. Luckly i stumbled across it, no one ever said to get it when doing the delete. Any other gaskets for the oil filter housing a guy should get? i have a minor oil leak up there somewhere that i hope to find when doing this.

·
Registered
379 Posts
something else you may consider since your going to be in that far if your truck has any kind of milage on it is an oil cooler kit. thats about all i can think of. the intake gaskets are reusable. you can get the orings for the fuel lines but i reused almost all of the old stuff when i did mine and never had a problem. If you decide to do an oil cooler get the oil screen also that goes in the galley. this is also a good time to do an oil change as you can drain almost 90 percent of the oil. after doing that and cleaning the oil galley i can run almost 3000 miles before the oil looks noticably darker. i still change it at 5000 but its no were near as black as it used to be.

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought this 03 and 1yr ago the previous owner put in a new egr valve,cooler, oil cooler and 4 new injectors. So thank goodness the oil cooler is new. There is probably only 3-4k on miles since those repairs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just had my intake out of the truck and I had a large storage container and filled it with ~5 gallons of power purple. Let it sit 24-28 hours, then hosed it out with water. Did a fairly good job, got lots of chunks out. Then I did it again just to be sure. There is some some stuff left in there, but it was cheap, quick, and easy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
yep you should be good to go then as long as your not seeing any issues, i tell you deleting the egr system on these engines is the best thing in the world for them. makes them so much happier of course not having to suck on your own exhaust makes everyone happier. lol. good luck if you need any help you can pm me if needed.

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate it bud! I see your not too far away from me up here in MN. The whole egr thing is a joke. Like you said it would suck to breath in your own farts all day with no window to roll down.

·
Registered
379 Posts
yep you will always find some a hole that will say the epa will fine you for taking it off. but my answer to that is as soon as the EPA sends me a check to run my truck then ill follow there rules.

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
x2 to that! Not to get off topic, but nice pete in your avatar. I had a pic of the engine outta that truck on my old computer. Color matched C15 cat.

·
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought about that. The seafoam is really good stuff. The only problem is its not cheap at all. It would take a lot of cans to submerge the whole intake. I also thought about this whole thing more tonight and came to the realization that what good is cleaning out the intake if the ports on the heads are just as dirty with soot? If the intake is clean but the ports aren't what have you gained? So with that in mind its either you take off the heads to have them cleaned or you do one of the chemical treatment methods that cleans everything inside without removing any engine parts. Hence that BG kit i posted in the beginning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Leaving a breadcrumb for others looking to clean their intakes. Based on the info above I used Purple Power. It says not to use it on aluminum for cosmetic reasons and it did turn the manifold dark grey. But it did get most of the gook out of there. I made a wooden tray out of 2 by 6 and then lined it with plastic sheeting to make it watertight. I did a 50-50 mix of Purple Power and water and let the intake soak in it for 14 hours. Afterwards I sprayed everywhere in that thing with a hose for an hour until curd stopped coming out. It didn't get everything, but it came close. It was cheap (under $30 for a 5 gallon bucket of PP), and easy as the nearest place that might be able to boil it is over 45 minutes away. But when I do the next one I'll probably send it out.
intake bath.JPG

·
Registered
733 Posts
Purple Power on aluminum is something I don't have big enough balls for.

I'm a simple man. Pressure washer thoroughly in all the holes. I can get my intake spotless doing that. As long as you don't mind taking a bath in carbon spray.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I use PB Blaster to clean my motorcycle engine. Works great. Takes all the grease and crud from lubricants and 2 stroke oil right off.
I used it to clean a few parts when I did my oil cooler and it worked for that. I didn't need to clean the inside of my intake though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd say it was a mistake to use the Purple Power. Sometimes stuff you read on forums isn't such a good idea . . .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts