Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to paint my intercooler piping and somehow that turned into taking out the fuel bowl and the fuel pump and cleaning out the valley. While I have got all this stuff out of the truck, any recommendations on things I should take the time to upgrade, replace, check out? Kind of ***** to do so hoping to save same time by doing some stuff now rather than doing it all over again down the road. I am just not sure what to look for since I am new to powerstrokes. Thanks

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Since you are there and already tore stuff out I'd recomend pulling apart the wiring loom within 6-8" of the fuel bowl and inspect for damaged wiring. Unless you are the original owner then the truck at some point in its life or another has had a fuel leak issue near the bowl. Diesel eats wiring shielding and will slowly cause issues down the line. Just open it up and look for melting line.

Also disconnect the wiring going to the valve covers. Two per head. Look inside and make sure the pins are bright silver and not burned. Also look to make sure that they are dry and not oily. If there's oil there, might be time for new VC gaskets.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
While its out replace the rubber lines from the pump to the bowl they are known to leak

·
...kind of looks homeless
2,079 Posts
Check/remove the fuel bowl heater element and check the wiring in the valley and on the bowl like Matt said. DEFINITELY replace the lines from the mechanical pump to the bowl. It's kind of a b**** to get them swapped out, but you'll thank yourself later.

·
Registered
496 Posts
if i were you, and you have the time to wait - i would order a rebuild kit for the fuel bowl and FPR. its very cheap and not hard to do. that will replace every oring that can leak, and clean the fbr screen. i would ditch the water in fuel sensor in the rear of the bowl, and just replace that with a brass plug of the appropiate size. they are a huge soruce of leaks, and if you change your fuel fliter regularly, you will never need it. i would also unplug, and ditch the fuel bowl heater inside the bowl. the truck will run fine without it, and its another popluar problem when the element slips off the posts and shorts out. mine shorted out and tirggered the anti theft system in my truck, and required and complete reflash of the PCM in order to allow the truck to start. that was a $500 lesson..
also - id replace the 3 blue fuel lines coming off the pump to the bowl. get factory lines. they are cheap enough and are high heat hoses as well as high pressure..
speaking of the lift pump (fuel pump), if you have $100 you can blow, now would be a great time to replace it since its already out.
- if you have all this stuff out anyway - you can also replace the metal washers on the wishbone before the pump.. its a pain - but alot easier with everything already out..

lastly - inspect the high pressure fuel lines that come off the FBR and goto the driver's and passanger head. ( you would have removed these to take out the bowl/fpr ).. pull off the wire loom and check the lines. they are rubbber and prone to cracking. especially the driver side one cause it has a pretty severe bend leaving the FPR. it is very important these lines be in good shape as they are under pressure, and if you distubed them it can cause a crack. a crack in one of these lines will dump GALLONS of fuel out in minutes if they are broken. (ask me how i know) i think to repalce the 2 cost about $60 if they arent in perfect shape.

before you take it out, ( or after you put it all back) - check your fuel pressure with a tire guage.. if its a bit low you can try the bb mod, or buy the cali spec FPR spring , or try the ebay one. that should help bumb up your pressure a bit and impove throttle response. i did all this and it made a noticable difference, as well as eliminated every possible fuel leak on the top of the motor.

the posts above also have some great adivce..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you already pulled the fuel system out just build an electric one and never have to worry about that stock crap.

·
Registered
496 Posts
yeah - you can do that - for a cost of about $500 to $800 to build a system that would be as good as a factory one. or you can spend under $200, have a brand new pump, and not have to worry about another leak for another 5 - 10 years.. personally i think the money is better off in your pocket, or somewhere else in the truck - unless your planning on building a motor that NEEDS it.

i have mixed feelings on these electric conversions.. mainly because people complain about the factory stuff leaking on top of the motor - and then spend hundereds of dollars putting everything under the truck. usually people mount the fuel filer system hanging off and BELOW the frame rails. IMO - thats a pretty exposed position for such an important part, not to mention much more inconvient to change filters.. any time i DONT need to lay on my back under the truck to fix something is a good day.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think the filter change is way easier and doesnt make a mess in the valley at all. It is pretty exposed but I haven't had any problems with the pump being underneath the truck

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think the filter change is way easier and doesnt make a mess in the valley at all. It is pretty exposed but I haven't had any problems with the pump being underneath the truck
just my opinion. if it works for you than thats all that matters.. still - just pointing out the all that money is spent to fix a leak, which could also be resolved with 1/4 of the money and kept factory. switching to an electic pump setup wont make a world of difference to most people either.

also - the argument can be made if you would in fact be introducing more faliure points changing everything over.. dont know the typical life on an electric pump and a home made kit - but the factory stuff has lasted a good 17 years without much issue or maintence, and a few orings, hoses, and $90 mechanical pump may very well be trouble free for another decade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts