Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal my father in-law has an '05 F250 Harley and with 27K miles. It's sat outside all of it's life and I don't think he used a windshield sun screen. I am cleaning it up for him and the dash is sticky. I do not believe this is a sticky substance but rather something that the sun has done to the dash. Does that sound possible? I used Murphy Oil Soap to wipe everything down and it's still sticky. Any ideas how I can clean that off?

Is this common?

·
Registered
107 Posts
my 04 harley's black dash has a few places where the black paint is flaking away and there is a lighter color underneath, not sticky though. I wonder if the harley dashes were "painted" or something.
After all of the bad stories I've heard about armor all, I just use diluted dishwashing soap and water

·
Registered
786 Posts
The problem is that if you found something that will take off the stickiness, it will more than likely damage the dash of remove some of the color. I would pull out the dash, sand and prep and repaint with Dupli color dash paint.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
I highly doubt the dash is "leaking" causing the dash to become sticky. I would be willing to bet that at some point there was some sort of so-called protectant applied and this has caused the stickiness.

As to what to clean this with, I would try Simple Green.

·
Registered
292 Posts
go to one of the auto detailing sites (autogeek.com) and ask your ? there. you will get the right answer and the right way to take care of the dash. good luck!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try Tarminator from Stoner. They usually have it at auto parts stores. I used to own a car detailing business, and I love that stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Yeah, I have the same problem with my dash. I haven't done anything with it but really need to detail the whole truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 07 outlaw same black dash as the HD, and mine bleeds and becomes very sticky in summer heat, dealer said they have a tsb for it and cleaned it for me once under warranty, it appears that only the black dashes doit, i have cleaned mine during winter with simple green, to a while, removed all the trim i could, but back again this summer. Also the dealer said they have a cleaner for it, was kinda mad at them over other issues so never checked into it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 04 with grey int has this, and it was like that from the day I picked it up new. I thought it was glue from something they may have had the dash covered with, like the poastic the cover new cars with while in transit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts