Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what can i use to clean the oil and build up off my engine and compartment?

·
Registered
484 Posts
go to any parts store and there is a degreaser called purple power it works really well its what i used on mine and i was impressed on how well it worked

·
She's paid for!!!!!!
661 Posts
Just be real careful, I cleaned mine once and shorted out the cam pos. sensor. Had mine in the shop over a month ago and I wish I knew what the dealer used to clean it, it looked better than new

·
Registered
746 Posts
spray some diesel on the griese the use a power washer and it makes the engine look brand new. be carefull with the power washer but it wont hurt the engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow what a diff i wish i would have taken before and after pics simple green worked amazing uncovered some boots and clamps i didnt even know where there. thanks

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I prefer engine foam from seal gunk. You spray it on from the can let it sit and let the foam do its work. Then take a hose and rinse it off. It works great. Takes about one can to do the whole engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I want to clean my 6.0 oh so bad but am terrified about getting water in a sensor or something like that. Am I being too worried and should just do it?

I realize this is not in the 6.0 section but I dont see a need in starting a new thread if it isn't really necessary

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I want to clean my 6.0 oh so bad but am terrified about getting water in a sensor or something like that. Am I being too worried and should just do it?
clean it, just don't do it when the engine is hot. Hot engine cold water does not mix. Can cause engine damage. But if you do it on like your day off before you drive your truck you will be fine.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
It really all comes down to elbow grease for the hard spots. I take plastic grocery bags over the intake, and a few areas where the electronics to keep from getting too wet.

If you got a lot of dust, dirt and nothing really too bad then WD-40 and just wiping it off works really well. Simple green (pretty good concentration over water) works great on an overall clean job. I've used Purple power, and Grease lightning too, they're all about the same. Enginebrite works alright too.

I usually get a little wet, degrease, rinse off, degrease again then rinse off real good. Let dry for a bit then you're good to go. Be very selective where you get water, don't want to get stuff too wet.

There's a few good engine shines out there, Turtle Wax CD2 is pretty good once you've done the degrease part of the job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts