Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another quick question what do you guys recommend to unscrew the filter from the housing? When I was try to unscrew it the whole housing unscrews instead of just the part with the filter in it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The glue holding the magnet in place, and the end caps on the filter housing, appears to be some kind of epoxy and this will be the weak point to chemical attack, but it looks like it should be ok with most household and garage products. I just threw mine in an ultrasonic cleaner with soap and water; the material that my filter collected was resistant to most chemicals and the agitation of the ultrasonic cleaner knocked the stuff out fairly quickly.

I have copper soft jaws for a vise, and leather pads for some slip-joint pliers to keep from marking up the filter housing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was wanting to do it before make my roadtrip home from the rigs. Guess it's gonna have to wait because I don't carry any tools on hand to get this thing unscrewed. To bad this thing came so dam tight :( wanted to look at it. I have about 800 miles on it right now.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Was wanting to do it before make my roadtrip home from the rigs. Guess it's gonna have to wait because I don't carry any tools on hand to get this thing unscrewed. To bad this thing came so dam tight :( wanted to look at it. I have about 800 miles on it right now.
Drilling rig? I bet you can use a pipe wrench with a rag wrapped around the filter to keep from scratching it up, unless the only pipe wrenches left on location are a 48" and a 60". Lol. I use to be a rig electrician, and it seemed like the only pipe wrenches that were on the rig were the two big ones.

Bet you can find a solvent around location to clean it up with. Guessing its still a little to warm to have the steam lines running, they would clean it up pretty good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha yep exactly, even in north dakota they haven't got the steam lines out yet. Last night got pretty chilly for only being august. I've got a little 18" aluminum I keep in my toolbox think i'll give that rag trick a try just didn't wanna scratch or crush anything :)

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
yep, that's what I typically see inside of old oil coolers and radiators

1 - 8 of 8 Posts