Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on getting my AC condenser clean...as well as all the other cooling coils in the front of my truck- have used a soapy solution and a very soft brush and a soft spray rinse- trying to help the performance of my AC unit in any way possible- I saw a Youtube video where they were touting the performance of "Kool It" spray in foam evap coil cleaner, it has a long tube attached and you access the evap through the drain hole at the bottom of the Vehicle- I realize there are other similar products....has anyone used this product and what is your opinion?? Does it work??

There were also some other videos on youtube to access the evaporator by removing the glove box and removing the blower but I am not sure how easily done this is on my particular vehicle- I do not believe there is a cabin filter in my year....I am no mechanic, so If it is that involved then I would feel safer using the drain hole approach to cleaning- there is no smell currently coming from my AC and the AC works well- my truck is very clean and has been on the pavement most of the time- no major off roading, so I do not feel the evaporator is clogged up- but the truck is still almost 20 years old and the Evap has never been cleaned, so if I can figure the best way to clean the evap myself, that is my objective- I live in Tucson where it's as hot as hell so any little bit of help in my AC performance helps! Thanks for your feedback!!

Reactions: Pinoy

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am following as i would like to know this too but in the vein of making AC colder you might find this interesting—I found this in 1 of the threads on this forum. It’s supposed to make the AC cooler the logic is that it prevents the cool air passing over the heating coils….may help…I bought it and will be delivered today. Gonna provide feedback MAX AC ASSIST AC Control Valve for 1994-2003 7.3L

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been working on getting my AC condenser clean...as well as all the other cooling coils in the front of my truck- have used a soapy solution and a very soft brush and a soft spray rinse- trying to help the performance of my AC unit in any way possible- I saw a Youtube video where they were touting the performance of "Kool It" spray in foam evap coil cleaner, it has a long tube attached and you access the evap through the drain hole at the bottom of the Vehicle- I realize there are other similar products....has anyone used this product and what is your opinion?? Does it work??

There were also some other videos on youtube to access the evaporator by removing the glove box and removing the blower but I am not sure how easily done this is on my particular vehicle- I do not believe there is a cabin filter in my year....I am no mechanic, so If it is that involved then I would feel safer using the drain hole approach to cleaning- there is no smell currently coming from my AC and the AC works well- my truck is very clean and has been on the pavement most of the time- no major off roading, so I do not feel the evaporator is clogged up- but the truck is still almost 20 years old and the Evap has never been cleaned, so if I can figure the best way to clean the evap myself, that is my objective- I live in Tucson where it's as hot as hell so any little bit of help in my AC performance helps! Thanks for your feedback!!
I am following as i would like to know this too but in the vein of making AC colder you might find this interesting—I found this in 1 of the threads on this forum. It’s supposed to make the AC cooler the logic is that it prevents the cool air passing over the heating coils….may help…I bought it and will be delivered today. Gonna provide feedback MAX AC ASSIST AC Control Valve for 1994-2003 7.3L

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yup....saw that myself....was wondering about that...please let me know how it works....reply to this thread....or PM me....I was thinking about doing that next.....please let me know.....

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yup....saw that myself....was wondering about that...please let me know how it works....reply to this thread....or PM me....I was thinking about doing that next.....please let me know.....
I added a similar heater shut off valve years ago. Here's my test results.

All tests taken at 102 degrees ambient temp.
60 MPH, heater valve off. A/C vent temp. 42.6-43.3
60 MPH, heater valve on. A/C vent temp. 46.9-47.3
0 MPH 1200 RPM heater valve off. A/C vent temp. 39.0
0 MPH 1200 RPM heater valve on. A/C vent temp. 44.6

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Wow....winner winner chicken dinner!! LOL....sounds like something that I need to do quick.....thanks for your input....much appreciated!!

Reactions: sd2ca

·
Registered
25 Posts

that is awesome results!! How long did it take to install? I received my package yesterday now kinda excited to install it after reading your post

·
Registered
810 Posts
that is awesome results!! How long did it take to install? I received my package yesterday now kinda excited to install it after reading your post

Mine installation was a "DIY" project. I just purchased individual parts from various vendors.
I purchased a vacuum controlled heater valve and electric vacuum control valve, and installed a "Carling" switch inside the cab to control the vacuum valve.
Installing the heater valve is just a matter of minutes, same with the vacuum valve. Adding the wiring & switch...maybe 45 minutes.
Attached is a photo of the switch panel that I built.
Wood Gadget Electronic instrument Gas Audio equipment

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine installation was a "DIY" project. I just purchased individual parts from various vendors.
I purchased a vacuum controlled heater valve and electric vacuum control valve, and installed a "Carling" switch inside the cab to control the vacuum valve.
Installing the heater valve is just a matter of minutes, same with the vacuum valve. Adding the wiring & switch...maybe 45 minutes.
Attached is a photo of the switch panel that I built.
View attachment 777756
Nice switch panel!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently replaced the evap after trying to clean it by pulling the blower fan. Opening the casing is not too difficult and there is amazing amount of dirt/debris stuck to the right and top of evap. I believe there are total of 10 bolts that have to come out to provide access to entire coil. Total time is about 3 hours to pull cover, clean, and reassemble. I had small leak in mine, easier to remove with drier, blower, and orifice tube out of the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts