Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have been reading several threads lately of members trucks surging.

Mine for the last 2 weeks has had a slight surge. I can even see it in the boost
gauge when I start off and the rpm's are low.

I had my diesel tech take a ride with me and he felt that my turbo probably
had some carbon build-up. So I finally dug in and began to take my turbo out
and do it myself to save some money and to also have an opportunity to learn.

I consulted my diesel tech on how to go about taking it out of the truck and
he also gave me some good tips on what combination of tools to use for those tight spots.

Below are some pics of the internals and how they looked during the resurfacing steps.

Thanks for posting. Your turbo looks just fine. How many miles do you have on it? Were they city, highway and what percentage were towing miles?

Almost all my miles are freeway miles and i have noticed with a fuel additive like Amsoil that the turbo seems to operate pretty smoothly. I did have some of what you were describing when my truck was nes and after city driving.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
This turbo has about 15k on it. About 75% of the miles are around town, no towing miles.
i kinda figured that. that around town stuff does carbon them up. And the low miles is also why your turbo looked so good. Now that you have polished it up do you notice any change in performance

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i kinda figured that. that around town stuff does carbon them up. And the low miles is also why your turbo looked so good. Now that you have polished it up do you notice any change in performance
Well, the surging is gone. That maybe contributed mostly to the new VGT solenoid. I am sure the resurfacing helped a lot too.

I also had my FICM re-tuned, so that has really helped with the overall performance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
question:
when i'm going easy on the pedal, on a slight hill climb, the turbo wistle is not continous, it goes up and down. No power loss or variation in the rpms. need to clean it?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
question:
when i'm going easy on the pedal, on a slight hill climb, the turbo wistle is not continous, it goes up and down. No power loss or variation in the rpms. need to clean it?
Do you have a boost gauge where you can see if it fluctuates up & down?

When mine was surging, I could see the needle bouncing around.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
question:
I know on mine the boost goes up as the grade increase in steepness but the turbo noise is always there, not up and down, but mine has a diferent turbo.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts