Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading several threads lately of members trucks surging.

Mine for the last 2 weeks has had a slight surge. I can even see it in the boost
gauge when I start off and the rpm's are low.

I had my diesel tech take a ride with me and he felt that my turbo probably
had some carbon build-up. So I finally dug in and began to take my turbo out
and do it myself to save some money and to also have an opportunity to learn.

I consulted my diesel tech on how to go about taking it out of the truck and
he also gave me some good tips on what combination of tools to use for those tight spots.

Below are some pics of the internals and how they looked during the resurfacing steps.

I got the resurfacing information from this link from International. I bought the same supplies at Lowe's and it worked really well.

Again, I am not an expert, I just felt like it was something I could do and wanted to
learn how to do and had some good help from my local Ford diesel tech.

These are the variable veins when closed.

These are the variable veins when opened.

These are the variable veins without the unison ring.

A vein all by itself.

Exhaust side turbine (before resurfacing)

Exhaust side turbine (during resurfacing)

Resurfacing the unison ring.

·
Registered
703 Posts
i just cleaned mine as well, wasnt as tough as i thought, i had it out for a stud install so figured i might as well take a look at it and clean it up a bit.

·
Registered
445 Posts
How long was the job to get it out? I might just do this too??? and what did you clean it with....brake parts cleaner

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How long was the job to get it out? I might just do this too???
I guess from start to finish allow at least 3 o 4 hours. I am sure it could be done faster, but when you are doing it for the first time, I took my time and tried not to get in a hurry.

I was told to use carb cleaner. The tech said it would do a better job. I used 2 cans initially and an old stiff toothbrush to get
into the hard to reach areas. A friend then sent me the link I posted above about the IH resurfacing kit. I went to
Lowe's and bought the supplies to really get more of the carbon and rust out of the way.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it fix the surging?
I haven't gotten it back in the truck yet.

I also went ahead an ordered a new VGT solenoid. The other one has over 170k on it and IH and Ford recommend putting a new one in.

I also sent the FICM off to get some tuning at PHP. So I hope with a cleaner turbo, FICM tuning, etc. it will help out a whole lot.

·
Registered
586 Posts
how much was the VGT solenoid?

·
Registered
586 Posts
holy cow, just for the solenoid I guess I better start saving!

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
So off the top of your head, how much did you save by doing this yourself?? how much were all of your supplies? did you use air tools??

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So off the top of your head, how much did you save by doing this yourself?? how much were all of your supplies? did you use air tools??
Labor will be the biggest savings. I am not sure what Ford allows for a turbo removal & reinstall. For what I did spend that was related to the turbo was this.

New VGT solenoid (mine had 170k on it) = 245.00 give or take a few bucks.
Cleaning supplies & right angle air tool = 89.75
3 cans of carb cleaner = 3.19 a can from NAPA (way to high, go to Wal-Mart, 1.37 a can)
New compressor housing O-ring = 8.50

I think most labor rates are anywhere from 75.00 to 125.00 an hours. I can't remember what the local Ford dealer charges. I know it took me about 4 hours to get it out (which includes getting all of the other stuff out of the way)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I called Ford not to long ago and they said it would cost $250 to have the turbo cleaned.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts