Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 7.3L Turbo Diesel. About a week ago, I was pulling from a stop sign pulling a moderately loaded trailer when I first heard a pop and a clank (sounded like a wrench falling off of the work bench), then saw black smoke from the exhaust for about 3 seconds and finally, started hearing 2 noises: The first noise is a high pitched whistle when I acccelerate, the second is a howling sound that I notice is constant while cruising and after I let off the throttle and the turbo disengages, starts to whined down slowly to nothing (approx 5 seconds). It is as if some pressure is slowly being released somewhere. I have taken my vehicle to the dealership twice now and they keep telling me nothing is wrong, that nothing shows up in the computer and that the manifold pressure reads 16.5 psi where 17 is normal. I kept telling them that I am hearing 2 noises that have never been there. I also talked to my Uncle who used be a Ford mechanic specializing in diesels, and he is stumped. He didn't know for sure if they still used double walled pipes or not and said that if so, the inner wall could of collapsed on the exhaust side resulting in back pressure. Does anyone have any ideas what my problem could be?

Some steps I have tried already:
1) Checked all hoses for leaks and looked for any visible damage.
2) Removed KN Filter with stock air filter
3) Returned truck to stock tuning mode.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
No idea, but you have come to the right place. Hopefully someone will be able to help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, I am trying to be optimistic... this problem has been very frustrating. I am hoping to find a solution before I blow something up.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
check your compressor wheel. It kinda sounds like you had something go through your turbo. Check shaft play, up and down, and end play( in and out)

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Double wall pipes? As in the down pipe on the exhaust? Possibility. you could take the downpipe loose at the turbo and look in it with a flashlight maybe to see if you see anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Sounds like what my truck did when my turbo started going bad, a month or two later is when the exhaust wheel finally broke off.

The howling was the exhaust wheel rubbing on the housing. I still had 30 psi boost the whole time until it broke violently, then I had 0 boost. It was a great excuse to get the D-66 turbo but I wish I had put the wicked wheel on it before it was too late.

What kinda mods do you have and specs on the truck?

If it is all stock and IF the turbo is the problem then I wonder if this could be an example of the K&N filter at work.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Alabamafrog, you're truck would have had the WW on the stock turbo alredy wouldn't it have?

mhazelton, I would definitley check both sides of the turbo first like these guys already said. I know how frustrating it is, when you know your truck, you know what sounds are normal, and something is different or wrong and someone who doesn't know your tells you that there is nothing wrong...:ranton:

Good luck and :welcome1: to the .org!! Everybody here is a good bunch of guys, and will help you figure it out!!

later

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Alabamafrog, you're truck would have had the WW on the stock turbo alredy wouldn't it have?

mhazelton, I would definitley check both sides of the turbo first like these guys already said. I know how frustrating it is, when you know your truck, you know what sounds are normal, and something is different or wrong and someone who doesn't know your tells you that there is nothing wrong...:ranton:

Good luck and :welcome1: to the .org!! Everybody here is a good bunch of guys, and will help you figure it out!!

later
The original turbo did but the Ford factory one I bought to replace the original that got dusted in OCT 04 did not have the WW so it surged pretty bad until it failed in FEB 08.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Now it makes sense!! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello to all. Thanks for all the feedback... I have removed the intake and checked for shaft play and there seems to be minimal to no play in/out or up/down. The exhaust is a Banks 4", therefore eliminating the double wall question.

So, I finally gave in and went to a local shop in Clovis. The owner was extremely helpful and identified 2 problems (that the dealership did not find... surprise, surprise): first, the #8 injector was failing and the second was the turbo shaft is bent causing the wheel to rub the sides. He said something went through the turbo and he gave an estimated 100 miles remaining on my turbo from his experience. So I am at the point that I am replacing the turbo. I decided to go with the owners recommendation and install a Garrett GTP38R BB turbo.

So to answer the question asked before, my mods are as follows (after the turbo install):
1) K&N Housing and Filter Kit
2) Garrett GTP38R BB turbo
3) Banks 4" Exhaust
4) Superchips programmer

Thanks again for all the help to you guys in the forum.:thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello to all. Thanks for all the feedback... I have removed the intake and checked for shaft play and there seems to be minimal to no play in/out or up/down. The exhaust is a Banks 4", therefore eliminating the double wall question.

So, I finally gave in and went to a local shop in Clovis. The owner was extremely helpful and identified 2 problems (that the dealership did not find... surprise, surprise): first, the #8 injector was failing and the second was the turbo shaft is bent causing the wheel to rub the sides. He said something went through the turbo and he gave an estimated 100 miles remaining on my turbo from his experience. So I am at the point that I am replacing the turbo. I decided to go with the owners recommendation and install a Garrett GTP38R BB turbo.

So to answer the question asked before, my mods are as follows (after the turbo install):
1) K&N Housing and Filter Kit
2) Garrett GTP38R BB turbo
3) Banks 4" Exhaust
4) Superchips programmer

Thanks again for all the help to you guys in the forum.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Well that sux. wow, I cant beleive I was right about somthing going through the turbo....that does suck man.....ON WITH THE MODS!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Id ditch the k and n filter, but glad ya got it figured out!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Id ditch the k and n filter, but glad ya got it figured out!
I'd agree with ditching the K&N, especially with the new turbo. I like the AFE also!

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Yep, DIY FTW, and its pretty cheap!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts