Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my wife complains her brakes are squealing on her 04 escape. So I leave her my truck for the day and I drive hers to work ( so I can do a road test for her brakes).

Well she calls me at work. Says the truck is chugging and lugging and running rough. I asked her is the engine cold. She said she just left the house. So I have to assume in female terms that means yes. :hehe: Anyways I ask her to call me back when the temp gauge is at normal temp. So she calls me back and says the engine is at normal temp. I ask her is it still chugging, lugging, and running rough. She says no it is not it is running fine.

So I am thinking, bad injector, or bad injector o-rings. Man I really need auto enginuity. I called the only Diesel Shop near me they want. 100 dollars an hour plus another 85.00 dollars for the use of there diagnostic computer. So I am thinking at that rate I am better off to take it to a dealer. At least there they only charge 100.00 to hook up to the computer and run tests.

Now I know I should not throw parts at my truck. But I can get the O-ring kit for all 8 injectors for 55.00 dollars. Now do you all think it is worth the gamble to get the o-ring kit for the injectors and replace the o-rings on the injectors myself.

The truck has 164,000 miles on it. Also how do I test the hpop pressure. What gauges do I need to hook up and where do I hook to the hpop to test its pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Testing icp is done with a computer. With that many miles, rebuilding the injectors while replacing the orings isn't a bad idea in general. It really depends on how the truck has been taken care of.

How is your fuel pressure? Oil quality?

I would really want more info before throwing money at it. I thought I read somewhere that you had a scanner that would read codes?
Dirk I been kinda chasing this problem for a while now. With out really throwing money out.

I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, dropped and cleaned the fuel tank. All that helped but has not cured the problem. I have no trouble codes no ses light. Engine only runs rough when cold. Once it gets to normal operating temp it is good to go. I have no oil leaks at this time. Engine oil has always been changed at 5,000 miles with rotella 15w40 as well as the fuel filter at the same time. I have thought about going synthetic but it is to confusing on which oil is ok for diesels. Because you need to have certain specifications for diesels when running synthetic. I talked to Marc about this before and he said that it sounds like it could be o-rings. My thinking is the injector o-rings are bad when they are cold they do not allow proper oil pressure. When they get warm they swell up and allow the proper oil pressure. I am also thinking it is possible to have at least one bad injector. But with the miles I have on the truck if I am replacing one injector I am going to replace them all. My thing is cost looking at the cost for injectors is not cheap even for OEM replacement ones. Doing the work myself is very possible. Same thing with replacing the O-rings. I know a cylinder contribution test and injector buzz test is in order. As this could be just a UVC wiring problem. Which I should take the time and remove the valve covers and inspect all that as well. I figured I would do that when I finally get the glowplugs. Being in the winter my truck will not start with out being plugged in. I already checked the Glow plug relay is not working, I already got the new one. But once again I want to get the plugs and do everything at once. Over all once the engine is at normal operating temp. It runs like new. Heck I am still getting 18mpg on average.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Awesome.

As far as the oil, Shell makes a synth Rotella T (blue jug) that has the same specs on regular. It's about 14-17 bucks a gallon around here. I haven't run anything but standard rotella in any diesel. Cost/benefit is still cloudy to me with these engines, so I can't really get into that.

With the possible injector issue, if it was my truck.. I would go ahead and get the DIY kit and rebuild them back to stock specs with new nozzles. Call Jim at DIY. I honestly don't know the ratio of orings failing cold vs. hot. I had oring issues with one injector only when it was hot.

The only thing I can add to your list of to-do's is a compression test. That is a great way to test the basic health of the motor. If you already stated that, my bad.. I over looked it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome.

As far as the oil, Shell makes a synth Rotella T (blue jug) that has the same specs on regular. It's about 14-17 bucks a gallon around here. I haven't run anything but standard rotella in any diesel. Cost/benefit is still cloudy to me with these engines, so I can't really get into that.

With the possible injector issue, if it was my truck.. I would go ahead and get the DIY kit and rebuild them back to stock specs with new nozzles. Call Jim at DIY. I honestly don't know the ratio of orings failing cold vs. hot. I had oring issues with one injector only when it was hot.

The only thing I can add to your list of to-do's is a compression test. That is a great way to test the basic health of the motor. If you already stated that, my bad.. I over looked it.

I understand the compression test. But due to the fact I have no blue smoke, or white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I have no signs of excessive blow by. I really see no reason for the compression test. How ever I do have the compression test kit. So when I do the glow plugs I may take the extra time to do the test.

Do you have a number for Jim at DIY. If so could you pm me that info if you don't want to publicly post it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts