Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a retired Chrysler Tech trying to do a good deed for someone. He has a 2006 F-250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel. He has not taken very good care of it due to being out of work. Lack of oil and fuel changes, bad batteries, he would charge them or boost them, finally bought two new ones. The problem is starting in the morning, black smoke, idle going up and down and bad milege.
I read the articles on checking the FICM.
Key on volts was 48.5
Cranking volts was 48-49 which the articles say are good, I put it back together and had to crank it to start, but it did and through a code P-0611,
P-0305 & P-1000. I thought for sure it was the module, can it still be with voltage like that. Can it be it needs a simple oil,filter change? I am lost now and look like a dope being a old mechanic that can't fix it, and I'm trying to be nice and do a good deed. Can anyone give me some ideas? Thanks:(

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Don't feel bad, they can stump the best guys sometimes. The injectors COULD just be sticking (stiction) from bad oil. Possible.
I know it's tough sometimes trying to maintain a vehicle but if you have a 6.0 you GOT to keep it up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Definately Change the Oil and Oil Filter. I'd also add Rev-X to the oil. And change BOTH Fuel Filters.

The 6.0 Uses engine oil as hydraulic fluid at 1500 psi to drive the injectors (seriously). Dirty oil clogs the injectors due to the Teeny tiny tolerances that the oil has to go through inside them, causing them to stick open and closed, and plain not work. Sometimes they can be saved by a good synthetic and Rev-X treatment to clean them out, removing varnishing and junk, however.

Also, add a good fuel additive to the fuel to lubricate the fuel side of the injector. If you're lucky, this might clear it up.

These trucks are ridiculously anal about oil and fuel quality going through them. You HAVE to properly maintain them or things start acting up.

It COULD still be the FICM, but Those voltages seem fine.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Hmmmm. You know the funny thing? I did apprenticeship with a GM store for a very short period of time, and then did 99% percent of it at a Chrysler store before I went to Ford AFTER I was licensed. You must've replaced more than your share of A/C evaporators on various Chryslers and head gaskets on 2.0L Neons and 2.4L Stratuses in your time eh?

Back on topic. If P0611 sets, it sets because FICM_M voltage has fallen outside of acceptable limits at some point in time. You may need to monitor FICM_M voltage when you do manage to get it started up during cold soak with a scan tool that can read live data (I doubt Chrysler's DRB-III or Starscan will be able LOL), and pay particular attention to it, during hard acceleration/revving up of the engine. If it decreases below 45 AT ANY TIME (and I don't care how well the engine is running), REPLACE IT.

As far as hard starting is concerned, using 10W30 (CJ-4 rated of course) or 5W40 (if he doesn't mind paying extra for synthetic) or the best grades to use on these engines. And yes, not changing them regularly WILL cause injector(s) to fail for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am back in the turbo days and the 2.2 I would change two head gaskets by lunch! Love my front ends, give me alignments all day long! Well everyone is telling me to have the FICM fixed even with the voltages I have. If I mess with it and screw it up The guys who do fix them will not take it on. Why do you think I am getting the P-0305?
Also can I use a Fram oil filter on this? And now for the fuel filters I saw one on top and one under the drivers side frame rail anything I should now about these critters?
That P-0305 is going to keep me up all night!!! Should have got a mopar!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way the P-0611 will set as soon as it starts. Clear the code crank, crank, start new codes P-0611 & P-0305, P-1000 if that helps

·
Registered
609 Posts
Please don't use the Fram filter! Only use the motorcraft filter and the original OEM Ford Oil Filter Housing Cap. ANY/ALL aftermarket brands of filters and/or caps won't hold a prime in the filter housing. Every time the truck cranks it will be just like you changed the oil and didn't prime the filter. All of the oil will drain out of the filter housing. I did an oil change without knowing that little fact. I don't know if this was the culprit, but now I'm having turbo issues.... So, I would strongly suggest getting the factory cap and Motorcraft Filter! Good luck with everything! No good deed is overlooked in life! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts