Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just a place holder for now, mainly to keep the pinout info I found in an easy to locate spot. We will be installing a tailgate camera on his ride though, and a half decent write-up will be here when that happens. If you are good boys and girls, we might even add pictures. For now you'll just have to be happy with a pinout.

Handle Connector......................Truck Harness

1. ..............................pwr +..................1
2. ........................video shield.............4 (not required, signal clarity only)
3. ...........................................................this pin intentionally left blank
4. ............................video +.................2
5. ............................video -.................3
6. ..............................pwr -..................5

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Watch out if Chris gets behind you while you're working. Don't bend over if you drop anything. And remember, herpes is forever.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be wearing a fag bag for protection. Some people call them flight suits, I call them by their typical contents.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edited with additional pinout information.

I'm not going to provide colors, as that seems to vary by handle. This is a 2009 handle, the initial pinout I saw used different colors than what's on this one. I actually haven't seen this color scheme yet online. But, the pins seemed to have been the same. On the truck harness side, I simply traced output from the handle to the truck sided. Pins could be exactly the opposite. The truck plug had a seventh pin that's unused, so I called that 7 and started counting on the other side.

I tested the camera today by plugging it into my cigarette lighter and the CTS. I put the truck in reverse, image came up. Nice and clear, with guiding lines. So, pinout is confirmed, camera works, just need Chris to stop partying for a minute and come do some work.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If I'm reading this right your using the tailgate handle with a camera off the newer trucks and hooking it up to your cts? Thats just bad***

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, I tested it on my CTS. The system belongs to that other Chris. I just tested it out while he was partying in FL. Now we know it works, he just needs to get a long RCA cable and we'll wire it to his stereo deck.

I did plan on getting a camera and wiring it to the CTS, but now knowing that if I try, I can find one at a decent price, I'm thinking I'll go the tailgate route as well. We'll see how easy it is to route the wires through the tailgate, but even if that's a pita, the clean look will be worth it imo.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I would like to get a deck that would allow me to have a camera. Whats the cost on a decent one? Right now I just have a standard Sony CD headunit.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rough guess without research? At least $500 for an entry model. For decent sound as well, I would ballpark $7-900 on the low end. Budget $1K for a deck and you should find something that tickles your fancy. I wouldn't mind a dash mod to mount a permanent display. The one I have folds up and hides when I turn the truck off. That's cool and all, but any decent stereo thief can figure out it's a DVD player.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Rough guess without research? At least $500 for an entry model. For decent sound as well, I would ballpark $7-900 on the low end. Budget $1K for a deck and you should find something that tickles your fancy. I wouldn't mind a dash mod to mount a permanent display. The one I have folds up and hides when I turn the truck off. That's cool and all, but any decent stereo thief can figure out it's a DVD player.
Oh, only around $1000? Well in that case, F*CK THAT!!! My stereo sounds just fine and I'll continue to use my mirrors to back up. I can think of a lot of ways to blow a grand that would be much more beneficial.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If u spend a grand ud be getting nav also thats what jumps the price up from 350-500 for a double din with dvd n all that jazz also hook ups for a camera like u mentioned

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Oh, only around $1000? Well in that case, F*CK THAT!!! My stereo sounds just fine and I'll continue to use my mirrors to back up. I can think of a lot of ways to blow a grand that would be much more beneficial.
That Pioneer in mine rang up about $960 for the HU, install stuff, iPhone cable and license plate mount back up camera. That was last December. I installed it myself, so install would add on some more.

Check out Sonicelectronix... They seem to have better prices, but some stuff (like Pioneer) you have to go through them for warranty because they are not an authorized dealer. If your OK with that, you can save. That HU I got was retail $1499, crutchfield and BestBuy had it for $1200... sonic had it for $900.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If u spend a grand ud be getting nav also thats what jumps the price up from 350-500 for a double din with dvd n all that jazz also hook ups for a camera like u mentioned
You can get this for $129... Never heard of the brand and it may be a POS! But it has a BU cam input
SoundStorm DD405 In-Dash 4.5" DVD Touchscreen Car Stereo Receiver

Or this Alpine for $1499
Alpine INE-Z928HD 8" Touchscreen CD/USB Car Receiver w/ Navigation

This is what I got, but this years version (Avic z130bt vs z140bh) $859
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH 7" DVD/MP3/USB Car Receiver w/ GPS, Bluetooth

(Sort Price: Lowest First) In-Dash Car DVD Players (Receiver Size: Double DIN) | Car Stereos and Head Units | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If a HU is too expensive, do what I do - put a big ole receiver on your truck and use it as a guide :thumb: :rofl: Then use that 1k for something in the performance realm!

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's installed and kind of works. After figuring out my mistake on the pin out, it was all cake. The RCA cable used was a little short, so we had to splice it longer, that caused the first wtf moment. All wired in, no video. Figured out the splice broke (small diameter, and we messed with it a little to finish routing it. Repaired that, but still no video. I didn't pay attention to my notes and had the video feed hooked up wrong. Got that fixed pretty quick, but still no video.

Chris figured out that issue. His HU recognizes the camera as a DVD source, so he had to set his e-brake to get an image. It's still not auto-changing to the input, but we figure that to be software. He's on track to figure out how other people have solved the problem, or if there even is a solution. Stupid federal laws screwing with everyone.

Install is fairly quick. 1.5 hrs from start to initial finish. Would have been a little quicker if we didn't have to splice the cable. It was a 21' cable, and was about 8" short. For those running to a CTS, 21' would be fine, for those running to an HU, buy the next size up. We tied into the 7-pin trailer plug for power and ground. Pretty tight fit for knife work, but you can skin the wires to syphon power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts