Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To begin, let me say I am a nurse, not a diesel mechanic. I know absolutely nothing about engines. My truck is a 2006 Ford F-350 superduty diesel dually with a 6.0 Powerstroke engine. It has 79000 miles on it.

I sort of inherited the truck from my brother who died two years ago. He was religious about routine maintenance. He replaced the turbocharger about 6 months before he died. It might have 2000 miles on it now.

The chirping noise is not evident when idling. I don’t hear it on acceleration but that could be because I can’t hear it over the big engine noise. I hear it on deceleration and only once the engine is warm...say after 20 miles at interstate speeds. It’s basically audible when I take my foot off the accelerator.

This noise developed on a trip from Georgia to Arkansas which is a pig trail about half the way. I suppose there is a possibility it was there before, but I didn’t hear it over Boston playing “Peace of Mind”. Lol

I took it to the Ford place in Jacksonville, Arkansas. They recommended routine cooling flush, oil change, tire rotation and they would try to find the chirp. They were kind enough to put “new car scent” in my air conditioner without asking for a mere 40 dollars. 😂🤣😂

They could not find the chirp but said the serpentine belt was worn and they thought that might be the cause. At nearly 80,000 miles, that sounded reasonable.

So they changed it.

The chirp is less pronounced but still there.

While I know nothing about engines, there are lots of forum posts about a chirping sound from this vehicle.

And these posts are from guys who know how to take the engine apart and repair it.

So I’m hoping someone might have some idea what is the most likely cause of that little chirping bird sound and if so, I can ask the Ford mechanic to check it.

I’ve read about lifters, pulleys and a high pressure oil pump under the turbo. It’s pretty much Greek to me. I had to look up HPOP and the definition of “lifter”.

Any help is greatly appreciated. And if you’re in Thomasville, Georgia soon and need an IV, I’m your huckleberry.

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
A video would help greatly. One guy's "chirp" is another man's "squeak/creak." If you can hear it at idle, I would get a 3-4' section of hose and poke around in the engine bay. One side probing - the other side in your ear listening for where you hear it. Might help narrow down your search and aid in diagnosis.

-jokester

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
They should have ran the truck a little with the belt off to see if the chirp was related to anything it turns. Very likely could be an idler pulley, alternator or other item on the belt. It could be something else too, but the bearings in the idlers do go bad occasionally.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
:ORG welcome::icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was also going to suggest a pulley. Changing the belt could have changed tension which could have changed the sound. Could be idler, alternator, AC compressor..... Speaking of which, does the sound change when you turn the AC on? I know that is a lot of "maybe could be" but I'm throwing darts.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I changed the belt and tensioner pulley, and with the pulley locked, it was still very hard to get over the alternator. That's how tight it should get. I think both the belt and tensioner pulley in my case had seen better days.

For me, too many things to change to justify throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
On my 05 Ex, I had what I would have described as a chirping sound that drove me nuts for some time. I ended up accidentally discovering it to be from the plastic wiring trough that runs along the back of the engine compartment. I was working on the engine and hit it in such a way that I heard the chirping.

The plastic push rivets that hold it in place had worn in such a way as the trough could move. I fixed it by using wire ties to hold it secure.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I like what G8tor suggested ^^^. I would remove the belt, run the truck a little and see what ya got.

k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts