Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to chip my 7.3 02' and have been browsing around for several weeks.

What are the biggest differences between the custom chips.. I don't want to hear about edge or superchips and all..

The main ones I've read about are php, tw, ts, DP, etc.

DP is only re-burnable from DP correct.

Are all of the following independent chips PHP, TW, and TS.. But can all re-burnt by any of the turners..

·
Premium Member
8,742 Posts
DP uses a chip (hardware) that nobody else does. That hardware is pretty poorly designed in its shielding so, keep in mind, you could have issues with interference from other non-factory electronics. Many, not all, people have their truck actually turn Off when turning on the HID headlight (just that initial start-up "spikes" the tuner). Other, better designed, hardware that everybody else uses is pretty much unaffected.

I'm not sure about the burn-it-at-home capabilities of others, I see guys talking about a Beans "burner" so, maybe that's one....

·
Registered
935 Posts
Biggest difference is going to be price. you will be happy with any of the ts tuners.
I currently run PHP and Beans.
They are similar in a lot of ways, but Beans is slightly more aggressive on the power curve. Tony Wildman will be similar to Beans. They all focus on a very smooth power curve, keeping the truck driveable.
My old dp tunes were extremely touchy and I really did not like it especially after getting PHP. You would think thats how its supposed to be if you never had anything to compare to.

I highly recommend a ts style chip with tunes of choice. I currently say PHP, Beans, TW, but swamps, BTS, gearhead are supposed to be great as well.

PHP phoenix is $295, FU is $495 but gives you access to all the tunes for your truck with a burner. can add custom tunes later for $25 ea

Beans is $250 for blank chip and tunes additional and vary depending on what you want. They sell a burner so you can have tunes emailed.

TW, chip is approx $420 with 6 tunes and has lifetime reburns but you have to send your chip in ea time you change things.

I like having my tunes emailed for various reasons. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Love my dp tuner. 5 dollar ferret bead fixes the interference problem. I get all my stuff from clay at riff raff he is a great guy and he sells and works with Jody at dp so I bought dp.

You will be happy from any custom tunes

Beans is the most expensive but I heard there real good

Sent from a Apple

·
Registered
114 Posts
Love my dp tuner. 5 dollar ferret bead fixes the interference problem. I get all my stuff from clay at riff raff he is a great guy and he sells and works with Jody at dp so I bought dp.

You will be happy from any custom tunes

Beans is the most expensive but I heard there real good

Sent from a Apple
Sorry for the hijack, but Zrain, where can I find more info on the ferret bead?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
723 Posts
Look up dp tuner and hids. I bought mine on eBay or something I got 5 for 10 bucks

Sent from a Apple

·
Registered
241 Posts
Check out beans site, they are now one of the more affordable tuners. That being said I'm leaning towards Gearhead tunes.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Can't have a tuning discussion with out throwing Gearhead in the mix, by far smoothest tunes I've felt.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Can't have a tuning discussion with out throwing Gearhead in the mix, by far smoothest tunes I've felt.
What other tunes have you tried? I have a buddy that runs TW tunes I think and just got gearhead tunes and hates them, but everyones opinions are different.

I currently have PHP and beans, tried DP and should have TW soon. I might try some others at some point. The only others I am interested in atm are BTS and swamps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW I've drove a 02 7.3 with the DP tuner.. IT's pedal was super touchy..

How do all of the other tuners change from maps. I know the DP tuner has a external selector switch or gauge dial on it. Just wondering how the others do. Anyone have any pictures.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess I should contribute since I already hijacked it, but I do like my DP tunes. I have not tried others, but I like the F6 chip because I can add tunes and update tunes myself when I get upgrades. I will of course have to get the tunes from DP, but I have no problem with that.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I guess I should contribute since I already hijacked it, but I do like my DP tunes. I have not tried others, but I like the F6 chip because I can add tunes and update tunes myself when I get upgrades. I will of course have to get the tunes from DP, but I have no problem with that.
This is a similar option to the PHP FU. I love this option:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If i were to say at the moment will be staying as close to stock as i can gor reliability issues etc. And would have chip in econ mode as its my dd would i be alright getting a chip that id have to send in for nee tunes? The dp i think is what 200$ more for the f6 right.

Btw where are you all getting color matched triple a piller gauge pods. Need one in the grey.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry for the hijack, but Zrain, where can I find more info on the ferret bead?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
if you call DP they will tell you exactly where to put the ferret beads...i wanna say they suggested running your HID power to the passenger side battery and putting the beads in a few various spots and a couple other recommendations.... my buddy has HID's and installed the ferret beads and havent had any problems

he got all fired up and was like "one person say something online and everyone is worried" well no sh*t sherlock if the truck is gonna shut off im gonna worry and call

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What other tunes have you tried? I have a buddy that runs TW tunes I think and just got gearhead tunes and hates them, but everyones opinions are different.

I currently have PHP and beans, tried DP and should have TW soon. I might try some others at some point. The only others I am interested in atm are BTS and swamps.
I have had PHP. But i drove a truck that had TW and dp. Not a big fan of DP, the whole 80econ tune and hid interferance is a big turn off when I'm trusting someone with my motor(it was fubar'd then how can I trust it now). BTS tunes are actually cale at tyrant diesel, he no longer tunes (he said he doesn't have enough time with how busy his shop is). I've heard good things about swamps, just haven't seen a lot of guys running them on 600+hp trucks to see how it holds together, but have heard they are pretty smooth tunes. If I change my tuning up it will either be TW or Gearhead, those are the only 2 that will ever actually be installed in my truck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Id go with just a TS 6 position chip for $250you shipped from xdp. Later on when I really start to customize my truck (injectors, turbo, trans) then I will get it reburned by beans

·
Registered
77 Posts
Obviously everyone expects different things from a tune. Ill tell you from personal experience. If you want underivable touchy pedal with a manual transmission . Power that comes on like a kick in the junk and a truck that shuts off every time you use your Exh brake. Go with DP. Make sure you splurge and get the high HP tunes they recommend so you can be ashamed on the Dyno.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Obviously everyone expects different things from a tune. Ill tell you from personal experience. If you want underivable touchy pedal with a manual transmission . Power that comes on like a kick in the junk and a truck that shuts off every time you use your Exh brake. Go with DP. Make sure you splurge and get the high HP tunes they recommend so you can be ashamed on the Dyno.
Nevermind lol I have signatures turned off so I went to your profile to read your sig and didn't see the PAC brake when I read it. So what happens when you hit your exh brake the truck just dies? Does it do it in all your tunes?

·
Registered
77 Posts
yep. its hit and miss. sometimes it just dies for a split second. I really enjoy when it just shuts right down and i have no power steering or brakes.
They insist its not their tuner but i have been running my brake for a long time. flawlessly. And magically when i remove the tuner. Im back to flawless operation. Its really a long messed up story. That im not interested in telling. However im out a bunch of money and more time, left with tuning that im terribly unhappy with and have no interest in mailing away for a "free" reflash bla bla bla played that game one to many times. I guess shame on me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts