Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

ive been looking into getting my 1996 f250 2wd chipped out and more performance etc.
ive looked into the TS performance 6 position chips and it looks like thts the direction im going. i have a B&S intake on it, and ive straight piped it leaving the cat on.
my questions for you are:
1) would "hollowing" out my cat be worth anything besides being "illegal"?
2) what specific gauges would i need to keep an eye on things under the hood with the chip?
3) are there any rebuild/upgrade kits for my stock turbo if needed?( its a 1996, so its a "wicked wheel" stock)
anymore help, tips or advice is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
1 yes the cat is very restrictive if you have to have one deffinatly gut it

2 gauges get boost, egt, and trans temp if its an auto

3 there are rebuild kits available and also 1.0 housings to help get boost sooner but it also raises egts

·
Registered
693 Posts
A ts is a good choice, especially if it is custom tuned. Hollowing out your cat will allow the motor to breathe easier. Monitoring EGT's is a must. Fuel pressure, boost and tranny temp is a good idea. If you want real turbo upgrades you will need to go after market. I'm not sure if you have a wicked wheel or not but they are only a small improvent anyway.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
the only bolt on aftermarket turbo for an obs is a d66 from beans but i dont think stock sticks will light it up very well

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
A 3" DP and intake (which I see you've already done) should be done before anything else IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would the 1.0 housing be worth buying? im keeping my injectors and everything stock, besides the upgrdes ive listed above in my post

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I've never dealt with one personally, I've heard the boost comes on a little earlier, but it pushes EGT's up (as you said). I personally wouldn't waste the money on one, but that's your call. My stock turbo lights great, but I also have stage 1's and a T500. I told myself I was going to keep everything stock (aside from exhaust, intake, and chip), figuring it would be plenty enough power. Well, let's just say that went out the window once I got a taste of power. I was hooked :evillol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha yeah thanks, i think if i take out my cat air flow will be all around better, my turbo dosnt light up unless i really floor it(which isnt often) im going for longevity of my truck here, but some minor performance upgrades is ideal

·
Registered
889 Posts
3" DP along with a cat-delete will wake the truck up. Could also ditch the muff while you're at it.
Pyrometer and Trans Temp are a must if you drive an auto. Boost guage is fun to look at, but a stock truck is going to top out around 20psi so there is no real need to monitor it. Fuel Pressure and HPO guage are usefull, but not crucial.
A TS with canned tunes will wake your truck up, but it won't come close to custom tunes. Custom tunes are also generally a little easier on your transmission if you drive an auto.
Other than a D66, there isn't a whole lot you can do for turbo's on an OBS. Stock turbo's will hold generally hold up to 35-40psi, so unless you plan on pushing past that there is no need to upgrade.
1.0 A/R exhaust housing will spool you up quicker off the line, but EGT's become an issue if you start working the truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what fuel pressure guage should i get, theres "custom glowshift" ones where you can pick 4 guages, but they offer a "30 psi" and "100 psi"

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Glowshift gauges aren't bad, I bought the 3-gauge package (boost, pyro, trans temp), before they offered the 4-gauge package. The EGT gauge has gone haywire, but I believe it's something with my wiring. I'd like to pick up the 4-gauge package now, with boost/pyro/trans temp/fuel pressure. I believe these truck runs over 50 psi of FP, so you'd need the 100 psi gauge. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
1 yes the cat is very restrictive if you have to have one deffinatly gut it

2 gauges get boost, egt, and trans temp if its an auto

3 there are rebuild kits available and also 1.0 housings to help get boost sooner but it also raises egts
I've heard and read from numerous threads that egt's either dropped a hair or stayed the same-exact w/ the 1.0 housing as w/ the 1.15 housing.

the only bolt on aftermarket turbo for an obs is a d66 from beans but i dont think stock sticks will light it up very well
Or an h2e. But I agree.. you need a good amount of injector over stock to need an aftermarket turbo.

would the 1.0 housing be worth buying? im keeping my injectors and everything stock, besides the upgrdes ive listed above in my post
From roughly 95% of every person I've talked to and every google search I've seen, they all like their 1.0 exhaust housings. In general, boost is made a few hundred rpm's lower, it builds boost faster, has better boost on-tap when you push down the pedal, drops egt's or they stay the same as stock, and people have even lost like .3-.5 seconds in the 1/4 by going from their 1.0 exhaust housing back to the stock housing after they upgrade injectors and try the stock housing again.

what fuel pressure guage should i get, theres "custom glowshift" ones where you can pick 4 guages, but they offer a "30 psi" and "100 psi"
100psi.

100psi on the fuel pressure guage.
You'll want to see between somewhere in the neighborhood of 55psi.
60-65psi at all times is considered normal. I believe 55 would be nearing the "low side".

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Didn't think the h2e was a direct bolt on

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is? Maybe I'm wrong. Know its a bolt-in for SD.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
The H2e (as far as I know) isn't a bolt on for the OBS. I think the only turbos that are, are the D66 and (from what I've heard) the BD Thruster II.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is? Maybe I'm wrong. Know its a bolt-in for SD.
I'm pretty sure the H2e is a t4i mount turbo, which would mean it won't fit any powerstroke without modification. My understanding is that the obs turbo mount looks similar but the bolt pattern is different so it won't work. But I could be wrong.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Looks like I'm wrong on this one... thanks for the correction guys.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Hey guys, sorry Matt the h2e is definitely not a bolt on. It does use the t4 mount and the up pipes need to be the SD style, not the OBS style. It also requires a new/modded intake as the output port on the cold side points upward and not forward like our Gerrets. If you don't plan to play above Stage II's then the D66 will be good (not with stock injectors). Don't get suckard into the "Super D66" as there is no such thing for the OBS (the "Super D66" takes the D66 turbo for the SD and mounts the OBS hot side too it for the SD. Since we already have the OBS hot side we then already have the Super D66 from Beans).

I, also, vote for the TS style chip as the stock burns on the chip are alright and most aftermarket tuners can reburn the chip later. If your area still does emission testing for your diesel then you can get a "test pipe" from Diamond Eye and simply unbolt your cat. and bolt it up instead. If you ever need the cat. again later then you have it in the back of your garage.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Thanks for the correction Matt :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts