Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with Lyle from BADP last week and he mentioned stacking the EDGE Evolution and running the SCT tune from BADP on top of the stage 1 or 2 tune.

Anyone done this? Any adverse effects?

Side note:

With running the Edge Evolution and the factory DPF, I am now getting a check engine light that the DPF is not able to clean itself completely/efficiently...... 3300 miles on the truck now..... I CANT WAIT FOR THE DPF delete!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
You cannot stack the Edge Evo, and the SCT tunes...they are both tuners.

You COULD stack the Edge Juice w/Attitude with the SCT tunes though cause the Edge Juice is an inline module.

But I would not recommend it personally.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i totally agree.... lol how can he tell you that 2 programmers can stack? one will overwrite the other....
That was where I became cautious! Lyle stated that the stage 1 or 2 would become the new base map, and teh SCT would add even more HP.....

What I am looking to do is to turn the Edge Evolution to stock, and run the SCT cable off the OBD port so that I can keep the Edge's gauge functions in tact......

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Let me ask this question......would you get Direct TV if you already has digital cable?
This is not a diesel from the past where stacking worked........in fact this is probably one of the most complex diesels out there, we are dealing with a totally different animal with a all new set off rules in which the old stuff doesn't apply.....the key to great power in this truck is in the tuning, but in fine tuning, not short cutting it

·
Registered
63 Posts
there was a horror story some time back in one of these forums about a bad experience that was directly attributed to stacking a module and a programmer on a 6.4

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I know of a guy personally here local that had the KEM/Spartan Flashpak with the 150 tune or whatever it was, and had it stacked with the Edge Juice....long story short...he blew the engine....this is not hearsay...this is the truth, I spoke with the fella down in Nederland at the offroad shop.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mike with KEM confirmed that stacking on the 6.4 was a guaranteed blow up. He posted this same story here on the forum (or maybe the other forum?) some time ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know of a guy personally here local that had the KEM/Spartan Flashpak with the 150 tune or whatever it was, and had it stacked with the Edge Juice....long story short...he blew the engine....this is not hearsay...this is the truth, I spoke with the fella down in Nederland at the offroad shop.
WOW That sucks. I have been running the exact combo you described since late November along with Snow Performance methanol
(since late April) and have had ZERO issues. The Edge and Spartan run a full 300 degrees cooler in EGT than the SCT Extreme alone on 125hp. (I have one of those too). I have found this combo to be very driver friendly. I think with all mods abuse and neglect will rear its ugly head. Could be this guy had an underlying issue that was made worse with his combo. By the way, using the Juice with SCT works also but the EGT are through the roof and if you keep the SCT plugged in to the OBD port the monitoring functions of both units do not work right. :)

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
WOW That sucks. I have been running the exact combo you described since late November along with Snow Performance methanol
(since late April) and have had ZERO issues. The Edge and Spartan run a full 300 degrees cooler in EGT than the SCT Extreme alone on 125hp. (I have one of those too). I have found this combo to be very driver friendly. I think with all mods abuse and neglect will rear its ugly head. Could be this guy had an underlying issue that was made worse with his combo. By the way, using the Juice with SCT works also but the EGT are through the roof and if you keep the SCT plugged in to the OBD port the monitoring functions of both units do not work right. :)
How high were your EGT's?

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the SCT alone I would see 1450+ virtually instantly! When I used the Edge, with the SCT, set on any level except 0(zero) It would be 1500+(too high for my comfort ,even if they can take more). With the Spartan / Edge combo the highest I ever got, at hammer up a grade, was 1220. Now that I have added the Snow, it is very hard to get to 1100! I normally run the Edge in setting 3 or 4 which helps dramatically the off idle throttle response. I am still waiting on a trans only file to lock in the trans so that I can verify my "seat-of-the-pants" feel on our Dynojet. Any help in that department would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
With the SCT alone I would see 1450+ virtually instantly! When I used the Edge, with the SCT, set on any level except 0(zero) It would be 1500+(too high for my comfort ,even if they can take more). With the Spartan / Edge combo the highest I ever got, at hammer up a grade, was 1220. Now that I have added the Snow, it is very hard to get to 1100! I normally run the Edge in setting 3 or 4 which helps dramatically the off idle throttle response. I am still waiting on a trans only file to lock in the trans so that I can verify my "seat-of-the-pants" feel on our Dynojet. Any help in that department would be greatly appreciated.
Dang 1450 wow! What are using to measure or monitor the temp?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
The Edge Juice monitors the EGT's, and it is anything close to the Evo, then its pretty damn accurate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am using the Edge Juice to monitor. The EGT comes from the sensor before the turbo in the right side manifold pipe. I also have an EGT probe in the left manifold at the rear for the Snow Performance set up and the two are within 20 degrees of each other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts