Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just ordered his '08 6.4 F-350. We were talking about what work he was going to do on it like he did on his '99 7.3. He was saying he was going to go with the 4" Exhaust (turbo back) and some other things (really wasn't paying attention). He then said he was going to go with the Edge (for like $700.00) on this one because he didn't want Bully Dog. I told him he should look into a custom tune chip for the truck instead of the "cookie cutter" tuner. Here's my questions:
1) What would be some of the custom chips he could have done?
2) What do the prices generally run?
3) Do we have a forum sponser I can refer him to?
4) What chip (from listed in #1) would be the most popular and why?

·
Registered
387 Posts
You can't just do a turbo back strait pipe on these trucks. To remove the DPF on the truck you need to buy a programmer that removes the regeneration cycle and a DPF delete pipe that allows all the exhaust sensors to hook back up.

Most of the people out there are only offering the kit that just removes the DPF but leaves the Cat. The only company I know of that make a complete turbo back system is Bay Area Diesel.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about the exhaust thing (just going by what I was told). The biggest thing was the chip. If he could get a custom burn chip for the same price or cheaper (and from a sponsor) then I was trying to go that way for him

·
Registered
387 Posts
If he wants to strait pipe it he can't use a chip. The computer on the truck must be reprogrammed, or really bad things happen. He's looking at at least $1500 for a strait pipe set-up, more if he wants a larger diameter than stock.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If he wants to strait pipe it he can't use a chip. The computer on the truck must be reprogrammed, or really bad things happen. He's looking at at least $1500 for a strait pipe set-up, more if he wants a larger diameter than stock.
Well that $1500 would include the tuner as well as the pipe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
He should sit tight, and see what developes over the next few weeks....And that would give the truck time to break in. Just my 2 cents.
But he needs to do a dpf delete and tuner if he wants to see improvement. I did a 5" MBRP single out exhaust no muffler, I wish i would have saved my money at the time. It made no difference in sound whatsoever. I also have an edge tuner and IMO it doesn't live up to the gains they state. I only get 10-11 city and 14-15 highway, all hand calculated at every fill up. I drive at least 500-700 miles per week.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts