Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run a search, but perhaps I'm not using the right keywords to get the results narrowed down enough. Is there a good thread comparing tuning chips for the 7.3? If not...

What brand/model chip are you using, and how do you like it? My priorities are extra grunt when pulling, and High mpg (duh...). Please also specify if you've done intake/exhaust mods.

·
Banned
722 Posts
its proven on here the 2 of the best are dp-tuner and tony wildman but really any custom tune is the best.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
DP TUNER........................

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
most people are gonna say DP or Tony Wildman.... pretty much the same thing... the only major deference that I have found out that is Tony will reburn your chip for free if you get different injectors, turbo, bigger oil, etc... but DP will charge you to reburn...:thumb:

·
Registered
553 Posts
its proven on here the 2 best are dp-tuner and tony wildman
any custom tunes will be best.:thumb: dont have those :crazy:i have some good tunes from cale down and brians truck shop....:woot:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
DP-Tuner all the way

·
Registered
553 Posts
we all like the different ones. but we all love the custom tunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've run a couple. Currently I'm running tunes from Dave Lott at Diesel Innovations. They work pretty well. I've got one extreem program from Tony and a handful from swamp's and one of Bills old burns that worked pretty good. The Swamp's and DI have been the best for me and I'm currently running the DI programs if that says anything. I've heard some really good things about Tadd's tuning from Elite as well. I wouldn't think twice running chips from DI, Elite, Swamp's or DP.

It seems every tuner has a truck that has had a handful of other tuners chips in and their runs the best. I've heard Elite made the most power over a DI and DP chip in one truck where a DI chip made more than any other in another and a DP made more than any other also. So it seems each has hit the nail on the head for at least a few trucks where the others have been off. I'd suggest calling the ones you are thinking about running and see which one you like dealing with the best. Bottom line is you will LOVE which ever one you want. Most will swear by their tuner though they have only run anything from that one tuner.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
No one remembers David Lott, I guess he does not beg for business but he is still one of the all time greatest 7.3 Liter tuners that god blessed the earth with.

JMO
Well said. Talk about a wealth on knowledge. I have never run his tunes but I have been doing business with him for over 8 years. Great guy.

What about Steve Cole? :crazy:

·
Registered
959 Posts
No one remembers David Lott, I guess he does not beg for business but he is still one of the all time greatest 7.3 Liter tuners that god blessed the earth with.

JMO
Very true! As I said that's who's tunes I've got in my truck right now. It seems every forum has their preferred guy that everyone is on the bandwagon for. It has a lot less to do with who is actually the best but rather that someone comes on and brags one person up so a few other see it and get their chip then brag it up as well. Before long everyone sees this and an opinion becomes fact on that paticular forum.

Lott does have the fastest 7.3L in existance. So that should say something right there!:thumb:

Not sure if it's the standard practice or not but the last couple times I've sent my chip back to DI to be reflashed he never charged me anything either.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have Cale's tunes in mine... . I was running DI's for a while. Both have been great!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have Cale's tunes in mine... . I was running DI's for a while. Both have been great!
your talking about cale down at brians truck shop right? cause if so thats who im running tunes from:thumb:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bully Dog has a try before you buy deal, where they load a program in your truck for 30 days for free to see if you like it. Some shops say they can't do a 7.3 but tell them to call Bully Dog for the right programmer. I just ordered the 5 position chip, high idle, stock, 50,75,150 hp. Of course asking what is the best chip is like asking what is the best religion, it can get very controversial and combative.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts