Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to give Chevy one of these :clap:. I hate to say but it's true. Chevy comes up with some if the sweetest ideas. Like putting a diesel in the 1500's, Suburbans, Full size Blazers, first to have heated seats, all power windows on the crew cabs. The Duramax, when tuned are badazz and can go through more abuse than a 6.0. Ford has kept it real with their diesels but Chevy put theirs in a lot more vehicles and did it first. When it comes down to it I'de still rather drive a Ford.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I agree, their new HD's are cool....but ONLY after they are tricked out. There are 2 monster lifted black ones ive seen around my neighborhood.....THEY ARE SOO BADA$$...I do gotta say tho, Id still rather drive a ford. Theres just SOMETHIN about driving an F350 SUPER DUTY that makes me feel warm and fussy inside haha!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Powerstroke'd Bronco is still cooler :thumb:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Ive seen a duramax in a H3, i think that was custom to tho. I cant wait to see the duramax Vette next year!!!!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Well hell, BMW are going to completely discontinue their gasoline engines as of 2012.

Tell you what, I'm looking forward to the Audi R8 diesel monster, if it's already out forgive my ignorance, that thing looks SUHWEET.

·
Registered
983 Posts
also while we are at it i'm gonna rub a few more in,GM was the first to use a IFS and now Ford and Dodge are useing it,GM was the first to use a CR Injection system on a Diesel and then Cummins in 2003 and now the new 6.4L is useing the same setup,GM was the first to a satelite Radio and now Dodge is useing Sirus and Ford is useing a satelite one also but sure what brand..sorry i had to do it..

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
AND they have aluminum heads ... :banging: and that does it for me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ford is starting to use Aluminun heads and they are also using aluminun A arms like GM has..

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Chevy sucks. Nice tinker-toy front suspension! Rides like a Caddy but its not heavy duty by any means.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The idea is not new at all. Simply not practical.

I have a 1500 TD and I like it a lot. However, the engine is so heavy that the truck weight rating is almost exceeded already. Weighs 3000 lbs on the front axle and 1800 lb on the rear axle. With a stock regular cab long box truck the payload is only 1100 lbs.

Dodge also put a diesel in a RAM 1500 years ago. The front end would wear out every few thousand miles.

If you want a diesel for riding around and not really towing heavy loads it's fine. For towing and carrying heavier loads you need a heavier truck.

Most people that have diesel trucks use them for hauling. The 150 is not going to be practical. Now if they do what Chevy is doing and simply give a 3500 a 2500HD label, or the 2500 a 1500HD label then you can do that now. Just make an after market badge that says 150 and put it on your 250.

A lot of people still use the term half-ton truck, or three-quarter-ton truck. This is ridiculous. The F100 hasn't been made for decades. An F150 is a three-quarter-ton truck. When did a ton get heavier than 2000 lbs.?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
also while we are at it i'm gonna rub a few more in,GM was the first to use a IFS and now Ford and Dodge are useing it,GM was the first to use a CR Injection system on a Diesel and then Cummins in 2003 and now the new 6.4L is useing the same setup,GM was the first to a satelite Radio and now Dodge is useing Sirus and Ford is useing a satelite one also but sure what brand..sorry i had to do it..
well if ford hadnt come out with the ttb chebby probly wouldnt have designed the ifs to compete with the ride quality. the ttb was still stronger and works better off of the pavement.

but yes they where the first to design the car suspension for a pickup. and actualy im prety sure ifs suspension was first available in the hummer H1 :D

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
IFS is the problem with the Chevy truck. Tell me again what's great about it. All they did was put something on the truck that was already available. Just a matter of choice. ford chose to have a truck front end on their trucks.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Ford is starting to use Aluminun heads and they are also using aluminun A arms like GM has..
As if they really WANT to, Ford dealerships will tell me face to face "Oh man... the 7.3, that was one of the strongest engines ever made, wish we could bring it back" Yeah me too. The point of aluminum heads? Weight Reduction, it's certainly not cheaper! Why do we need weight reduction? The same reason 6.0's have Cats and EGR's and 6.4's have DPF's and everything else. GM thinks they are ahead of the game cause it took them longer to come out with a diesel truck, and think they are smarter because they have a wal-mart-business-plan. In my truck, it's all SOLID front end, not even a steering stabilizer, it's a rough ride, but it's a TRUCK, and it'll go 500,000 miles without needing to put the blue book cost of it back into it 5 times. "Heavy Duty" and "Aluminum" don't go in the same sentence for me usually. Duramax's are fast, and Cummins are cheap to make fast, whoopee that means nothing to me. People who don't even like Ford's will drive a Superduty because they know it won't fall out from under them. :icon_ford:

·
Registered
983 Posts
well after hearing all the complaints of Ford truck owners coming thru our shop we decided to go with the Duramax powered GM trucks instead of the PSD allthough we have a 92 F-250 with the 7.3L and it has 400,000+ miles little no trouble but i hear to many complaints on bearings,ball joints and drive shafts going on the Ford trucks that i didn't want to deal with those problems and then we start on the 6.0L PSD's and now we go into engine trouble but i also realise that Ford has built more trucks so there are mor eon the road but i went with GM and i'm totaly happy..this is not the case with all trucks my point is theres good and bad in all brands but i think you can give the GM trucks more credit then you Ford guys are giving them because since they were introduced in 2001 the Duramax has made a big name for itself in the Diesel world.
i do not mean this in a bashing way.

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
I MUST SAY THAT I WANTED A CHEVY, BUT COULD ONLY FIND WHAT I WANTED WITH A FORD EMBLEM ON FRONT AT THE TIME BUT I'M HAPPY WITH WHAT I HAVE MINUS THE MPG. THE BOWTIE OUT DOES ALL THE BIG THREE.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As if they really WANT to, Ford dealerships will tell me face to face "Oh man... the 7.3, that was one of the strongest engines ever made, wish we could bring it back" Yeah me too. The point of aluminum heads? Weight Reduction, it's certainly not cheaper! Why do we need weight reduction? The same reason 6.0's have Cats and EGR's and 6.4's have DPF's and everything else. GM thinks they are ahead of the game cause it took them longer to come out with a diesel truck, and think they are smarter because they have a wal-mart-business-plan. In my truck, it's all SOLID front end, not even a steering stabilizer, it's a rough ride, but it's a TRUCK, and it'll go 500,000 miles without needing to put the blue book cost of it back into it 5 times. "Heavy Duty" and "Aluminum" don't go in the same sentence for me usually. Duramax's are fast, and Cummins are cheap to make fast, whoopee that means nothing to me. People who don't even like Ford's will drive a Superduty because they know it won't fall out from under them. :icon_ford:
Give the Chevy's a break. I started this thread to honor Chevy for all of their ideas, not to call them crap. I used to think about Chevy's like you. Junk. But my friend got an 06 LLY with the Allison. He put the PPE Xcelerator on it and loaded the 220 HP tune and beats the $hit out of it. 38K miles on the 220 HP tune, on the 4th set of tires that are already 50% worn, pegging the EGT gauge past 1600*, and long azz burnouts. Haven't had 1 problem. Original engine and tranny. That right there proves to me that it is a strong engine. I know if I did that to my 6.0 it would be dead.

·
Registered
983 Posts
i agree the the front IFS is week when you add extra power but so is the stock heads on a 6.0L so when you add extra power you can expect to do some upgrades to keep the truck performing at it's best..thats why we say you pay to play.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts