Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to find out if my truck is throwing any codes??? I don't have any SES lights other than an occasional "ABS" light that comes on from time to time but just want to be sure there is not an exsisting problem.

I took the rig up to auto zone the other day and the guy hooked up the code reader and he waited a minute.... he said I have no codes and that if there is now indication of a SES light I wouldn't have any. I trust that the guy knew what he was doing but I want to be sure. I told the guy about the ABS light and he said that it wouldn't read it 'cause it's not tied in with the trucks diagnostics computer or (PCM I guess), but for some reason I find this hard to beleive??? I've been haveing excessive amounts of blowby from my CCV mod vent tube and from the oil filler cap when I remove it. Like I said I just want to be sure there is no problem I don't know about. The truck is a 2000, 7.3 with 215K so that's why I'm concerned. How do I properly retreve codes and is it true if I have no SES light I won't have a code???? Thanx, to everyone for the help!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Checked mine last night, pulled a P0478 and I haven't had any SES lights. Didn't think I would have any codes, but thought I would check just for fun.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
No not true not all codes throw the ses light. They are called soft codes. The scanners at autozone won't read diesels. Need to find someone with a tuner that will scan the truck or bring it to the dealer or buy one:thumb:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactley what kind of code reader does it need to be??? How much are they??? Where can I go to get them properly read???

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
To read abs codes you need an abs diagnostic computer or scanner. These are specific to the abs systems. To read transmission trouble codes you need a transmission diagnostic programmer or scanner.

Depending on what model scanner autozone is using it may or may not read codes from a diesel truck. The scanner I have will read most codes that my truck will throw. But it will not read the soft codes that maybe thrown.

By the time you buy all the different diagnostic scanners you could have bought a lap top and auto enginuity.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn't there be one that can do it all??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about for on the fly???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts