Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought a 2000 F250 and will be using it mostly for camping/backpacking trips that require a lot of forest service road driving. Checked my spare last night (unfortunately did not look at the year), but I made sure I could access it. I'm guessing the rim is original as it's rusty as hell. The tire itself had plenty of tread and minimal cracking. I'm hoping to get under there and look at the year without having to lower it again.

Also I used the proprietary bottle jack and made sure it lifted the truck. I can't believe that tiny jack lifts my truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Every fall around thanksgiving I remind my friends on Facebook who have trucks to check their spare tire, actually crank it down to see if it will crank down, and lubricate where neccessary. Around the area where I live, I constantly see people along the hiway interstates fighting with their spare trying to get it out from under there. I just bought a dually that didnt have a spare and the hoist had been butchered so at the cost of $300 for a brand new wheel and tire, and $160 for a new hoist I feel worry free now. (Please dont comment that a dually carrys two spares on the rear axle, that is so redneck and stupid) I would rather crank down a spare and undo one set of lugnuts than to fight with the rear wheel lugnuts too. Btw, dont forget to make sure your jack is there, and works, they freeze up from nonuse over the years...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Who’s got a cool idea for hauling their oversized spare? Roof rack? Bed mount?
I need to do something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought my F-350 a month ago and while checking everything I found the spare had a HUGE gash in the sidewall, brand new tire but nothing I would have wanted to use.

·
Registered
459 Posts
oh geez, saw this thread, and went OH YEAH, so I dropped the spare on the 2002 F250 I picked up a couple months ago... 4402, EEEK, that means its a 2002 tire. 15-16 years old. Pirelli Scorpion STR, I bet it was the OE tire. and yes, I see cracks in the tread at the bottom of the grooves. also not a A/T tire, its looks to be a M&S rated highway tire.

it was installed stem down, I note the jacking instructions say stem up for spare stowage...

also, its a steel rim, and the truck has the factory 16" alloys... do those use the same lug nuts ? I am familiar with the different sorts on other vehicles, like ball vs conical vs flat head...

edit: oh yeah, EEEEEK, spare had 10.5 PSI in it. inflated to 70 PSI with my Viair 88p :) i'll be replacing the spare when I get new tires, hopefully sooner rather than later, as the tires on this truck are some off brand chinese things I've never heard of

·
Registered
839 Posts
oh geez, saw this thread, and went OH YEAH, so I dropped the spare on the 2002 F250 I picked up a couple months ago... 4402, EEEK, that means its a 2002 tire. 15-16 years old. Pirelli Scorpion STR, I bet it was the OE tire. and yes, I see cracks in the tread at the bottom of the grooves. also not a A/T tire, its looks to be a M&S rated highway tire.

it was installed stem down, I note the jacking instructions say stem up for spare stowage...

also, its a steel rim, and the truck has the factory 16" alloys... do those use the same lug nuts ? I am familiar with the different sorts on other vehicles, like ball vs conical vs flat head...

edit: oh yeah, EEEEEK, spare had 10.5 PSI in it. inflated to 70 PSI with my Viair 88p :) i'll be replacing the spare when I get new tires, hopefully sooner rather than later, as the tires on this truck are some off brand chinese things I've never heard of
YES.....USES THE SAME LUG NUTS.....

·
Registered
459 Posts
YES.....USES THE SAME LUG NUTS.....
thanks!

any opinions on storing the spare with the valve stem up vs down ? I did note that with the valve stem down, quite a lot of debris (dirt, gravel) was on the inside of the rim, looking at the way the rim is shaped, I suspect that this would be much less likely to happen with the stem up...

·
Registered
839 Posts
thanks!

any opinions on storing the spare with the valve stem up vs down ? I did note that with the valve stem down, quite a lot of debris (dirt, gravel) was on the inside of the rim, looking at the way the rim is shaped, I suspect that this would be much less likely to happen with the stem up...
I DON'T THINK THAT IT MATTERS.....THE RIM WILL COLLECT DEBRIS EITHER WAY.....

ALSO.....WITH THE VALVE STEM POINTING UP....IT MIGHT MAKE CONTACT WITH THE TRUCK FRAME AND DAMAGE THE VALVE STEM.....

ONE OTHER NOTE.....I TRY TO CHECK THE AIR IN ALL MY SPARES REGULARLY.....BUT I THINK THAT I AM GOING TO MAKE IT A POLICY TO CHECK THE SPARES EVERY OIL CHANGE OR BRAKE INSPECTION.....OR AT LEAST EVERY 90 DAYS.....SINCE IT ONLY TAKES A COUPLE OF EXTRA MINUTES TO CHECK THE SPARE WHILE CHECKING THE OTHER FOUR TIRES ANYWAY.....

·
california deplorable
10,619 Posts
hey i never stumbled across this thread before but...
tips i picked up from my dear departed father so being fathers day and happy fathers day to everyone...
when yohu get wheels and tires.
buy 5 it isnt that much more and then when you rotate tires rotate the spare in . you would be surprised how many extra miles this can get you
i live in snow country and swap to studs for winter and having an extra spare is always a good idea
so swapping and inspecting at the season change just makes sense for me. treat with some armoor all make sure it is aired up properly check for cracking clean it up etc.
i finally GOT a new winch but need a key or to remove the key i am just used to hauling my spares in the bed under the carpet kit this only works if yohu have a shell and carpet kit obviously but...
last thing i have always stored the spare vlve down so that i can check the air in it anytime i am checking the other tires takes all of 30 seconds to do that way :thumb:
also i will add when yhou drop the spare for any reason
grease the winch and paint the under side with some fast drying paint 9 cents a can at wall mart and it actually works great. i want to keep my truck rust free so i paint the frame etc every spring and or fall anyways :thumb: i live in snow country as i said and on dirt roads so...
hope that helps someone if not sorry to ramble on :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
problem with 5-way rotation is, if your spare rim is a steelie, but your 4 wheels are alloys, its ugly. also, radials aren't supposed to be swapped side to side, just front to rear

·
Registered
839 Posts
problem with 5-way rotation is, if your spare rim is a steelie, but your 4 wheels are alloys, its ugly. also, radials aren't supposed to be swapped side to side, just front to rear
ACCORDING TO THE OWNER'S MANUAL.....YOU CAN CROSS RADIAL TIRES IN A ROTATION.....

ALSO.....I HAVE AN ALUMINUM WHEEL FOR MY SPARE TIRE TO GO ON.....

hey i never stumbled across this thread before but...
tips i picked up from my dear departed father so being fathers day and happy fathers day to everyone...
when yohu get wheels and tires.
buy 5 it isnt that much more and then when you rotate tires rotate the spare in . you would be surprised how many extra miles this can get you
i live in snow country and swap to studs for winter and having an extra spare is always a good idea
so swapping and inspecting at the season change just makes sense for me. treat with some armoor all make sure it is aired up properly check for cracking clean it up etc.
i finally GOT a new winch but need a key or to remove the key i am just used to hauling my spares in the bed under the carpet kit this only works if yohu have a shell and carpet kit obviously but...
last thing i have always stored the spare vlve down so that i can check the air in it anytime i am checking the other tires takes all of 30 seconds to do that way :thumb:
also i will add when yhou drop the spare for any reason
grease the winch and paint the under side with some fast drying paint 9 cents a can at wall mart and it actually works great. i want to keep my truck rust free so i paint the frame etc every spring and or fall anyways :thumb: i live in snow country as i said and on dirt roads so...
hope that helps someone if not sorry to ramble on :D
ALL GOOD INFORMATION ABOVE.....

IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE SPARE TIRE LOCK.....YOU CAN REMOVE IT FROM UNDER THE TRUCK WITH PLIERS OR A PRY BAR.....

·
california deplorable
10,619 Posts
i have done cross rotation on radials for 40 years with no problem what so ever.
5 way rotaion used to be recommended in the owners manuals
i dont believe there is an issue
and yes i buy 5 matching rims...not that much extra in the grand scheme of things :dunno:
its just what i do not saying anyone else has to or it is absolutely the right thing to do.

ACCORDING TO THE OWNER'S MANUAL.....YOU CAN CROSS RADIAL TIRES IN A ROTATION.....

ALSO.....I HAVE AN ALUMINUM WHEEL FOR MY SPARE TIRE TO GO ON.....

ALL GOOD INFORMATION ABOVE.....

IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE SPARE TIRE LOCK.....YOU CAN REMOVE IT FROM UNDER THE TRUCK WITH PLIERS OR A PRY BAR.....
i was going to get a picture of it for mike at white bear to order up the right key but i could just as easily remove the one on it and or just get a socket and jam it on there and go at it with a standard extention.
just another thing i have not finished
its on the list :doh:
of course i bought my truck as a non running POS and have spent 6 years so far putting it together so...thers still a few things to finish :look:

Reactions: Milehighstroke532

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey yall, quick question for those guys running newer/aftermarket bumpers. I run a 2013 F350 bumper on my truck. I have a good spare that I have already removed the lock from but just realized the other day that the location is different in the bumpers to lower the spare. For those of you running the new model rear super duty bumpers, how do you lower your spare? I was thinking about drilling a hole behind the license plate or something. Thanks

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
I reclocked the location of my spare tire lift and I access mine from the passenger side frame rail hole

not because i have a different rear bumper but my camper would make getting to the hoist impossible

·
Registered
30 Posts
I almost learned this the hard way. Bought a new trailer, 18 foot car hauler for the upcoming move from Texas to Washington with a stop in Fresno, towing the jeep buggy. Ordered a cheapo spare on amazon with a 5 on 4.5 pattern, like all 3500lb axles use.

Factory tires that come on most trailers are pretty trash bias ply tires usually. By the time I hit bakersfield I noticed a small gash in the sidewall of one tire and all 4 were bald. Pretty sure they were not designed for 85mph operation. Pulled out the hi-lift and got the tire off.

Turns out, there are 3500lb trailer axles out there with 5 on 5 lug pattern.

I did make it to my destination, found a spare a few days later, and actually ran the original 4 tires all the way up to Washington. My load was very stable and low, and the weather was nice, so a blowout wouldnt have been a big deal.

Last year I swapped them all with Maxxis 8008's, should last longer than the trailer!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I made sure that when I bought my new wheels and tires, I bought a full size spare to go with it. It's fugly driving around on a doughnut. Plus, the spare tire looks good on the back of the tire carrier. It's also easy to check the tire pressure of it. Unlike under the truck (not that a 37" will fit under there anyway).

Reactions: BigRed0202

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Checked my spare today, looks good. Brand new tire and never been on the ground, came with the truck when I bought it in 2004...lol.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Checked my spare today, looks good. Brand new tire and never been on the ground, came with the truck when I bought it in 2004...lol.
so that spare is 16-17 years old, and quite likely very dried out rubber, even if it has never been used, and is sitting up under the truck in the shade.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts