Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,354 Posts
YEA, you know most people like to be helpful. This guy pulls up beside me and says "hey man you lost a tire" I replied no I just lost all the air that was in it. I' m not sure if he knew what I meant,but I said thanks anyway.:sarcasticlol:

That is awesome:rofl:

I figured out I needed a key to let my tire down... luckily I was at my shop and a just used a cutoff wheel to cut the cable...:look:

And now it looks like:

:rofl::hehe::roll1:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
My problem and my son-in-law had the same problem on his truck. I have a 2001 SD, he has a 2006 SD. Neither of us could get the little crank to fit into the slot to lower the spare. Try and try you can't get the little flat end of the spare tool to engage the wench. Is this a common prob. and what is the solution short of torching off the retainer holding up the spare.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just little more info I took mine out to locate my train horns there bit the cable was froze so might wana make sure yours is not the same I has to cut mine down so even if u got the key and think ur good to go still could be stuck

Reactions: john galt

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My problem and my son-in-law had the same problem on his truck. I have a 2001 SD, he has a 2006 SD. Neither of us could get the little crank to fit into the slot to lower the spare. Try and try you can't get the little flat end of the spare tool to engage the wench. Is this a common prob. and what is the solution short of torching off the retainer holding up the spare.
Did you read the first post?

It's all laid out there exactly what to do. :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went to lower my spare and it was all rusted. I cut the cable and go the tire out. Boy am I glad I did this,, the rim was so rusted, the lug holes were all sort of sizes, the balance weights were rused off the rim. I dont know how I would of used the tire in case of an emergency.....
This should be a Bi-yearly maintenance issue so you don't get stranded....stevo

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks ... that is a valuable tip. I am now to the 7.3 PSTD. Just got a 2000 F250 that only had 110K miles. I have a lot to learn about this truck, especially the motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a spare tire winch with a busted cable, how hard was it to pull off. Looking to get that monkey off my back before it bites me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I never knew I needed a key,so needless to say I couldn't get the spare
out. I ended up driving about 200 miles home on three rears.
glad im not the only one who has done this!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ha. I found I had lost mine! I know it was there 2 weeks prior cause I kept hitting my head on it rewriing 7 way. However when went to do rear brakes I noticed it had gone. No idea when or where lol. But the cable looked good. Not rusted, although winch was. It had been parked at work for 3 days unattended so I'm hoping it was stolen and didn't fall off on interstate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that this isn't a recent thread, but after working for a tire shop for a year, the most important thing I learned is to change the spare tire every 7 - 10 years regardless of how much use you have or how much tread is still on it. (if trying to figure out tire age, look at DOT code, it is the last/3rd set of 4 digits. like 1113 which means it was made in the 11th week of 2013) hope this is helpful to someone and keeps someone off the back of a tow truck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just to add.. I purchased a Irwin female extractor socket set from advance auto.. it has several sae sizes. After grinding the flat spots down on the 5/8 socket it worked to lower the tire. I then removed the winch and took off the lock. Also did some rust proofing while there. No need to cut the cable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
16 year old spare!

reading this post made me wonder how old mine was and it was 16 years old, gezz ,, anyway i changed it out, getting ready to go on 2500 mile trip so,, best i did.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you for this.
Im the second owner of my truck and had a flat last year, couldn't get the spare off.

I recall it being wonky and having some lock... now to get it down, and repair...

Along with find a jack.

Thank you, excellent reminder

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thx for this sticky!! Just purchased my truck, at least the second owner I'm sure. Was checking out the underside this last weekend and noticed the tread on my spare tire is literally falling apart. So need to change out the spare this weekend, now I've got something else to figure out, if it's locked! Thanks again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Everybody should read this thread. Great post. I check the air on mine and lower it to prevent seizing at every oil change. For those of you in the rust belt, make sure you can't see daylight through your spare rim, even if you have the key, it won't help if your spare is rusted through.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I went to lower my spare and it was all rusted. I cut the cable and go the tire out. Boy am I glad I did this,, the rim was so rusted, the lug holes were all sort of sizes, the balance weights were rused off the rim. I dont know how I would of used the tire in case of an emergency.....
This should be a Bi-yearly maintenance issue so you don't get stranded....stevo
I JUST GOT MY FIRST SUPERDUTY.....(NOT ON THE ROAD YET).....

THIS INFORMATION IS VERY HELPFUL.....I HAD NO IDEA THAT THERE WAS A LOCK IN THE SPARE TIRE TUBE.....I WILL CHECK MINE IN THE MORNING.....

I CHECK THE AIR.....THE WINCH.....AND THE CONDITION OF THE SPARE ON ALL OF MY VEHICLES EVERY SIX MONTHS.....

AND I THINK THAT I WILL SWITCH MY STEEL SPARE ON MY SUPERDUTY WITH AN ALUMINUM WHEEL.....

21 - 40 of 61 Posts