> police to file a report.
>>
>> They told him people were stealing the plates to get free gas. Given
> the rise in gas prices, people have
>> taken to stealing license plates, putting them on their car, then
> getting gas and running. The gas station will have "your" license plate
> # and you could be in trouble for "pump and run." Check your car
> periodically to be sure you still have a plate. If you should find it
> missing, file a report immediately!!! Keep an eye on your license plate!
> Make sure you always know it's there!
>> When the license plate is reported as the "drive off vehicle,"
>> it's YOU they contact! Be aware!!!! Be aware of your license plates,
> most of us never look to see if the plates are there or not.
>
>

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Wow that's scary.

Hey up here there's alot of people myself included that do scrapping, collect scrap metal ($240 a ton for anything, copper and aluminum are more, Carbide is $6.50 a pound! But very hard to come by. $20 for a starter, $140 for a Catalytic Converter. Good money!) Anyway, of course there are thieves, but I thought it was bad when people steal kids bikes off the porch and CATS off of parked cars and big job blocks from machining companies n' sh!t but it's literally come to there is a cemetery in Bay City that was raided, they stole 98 headstone vases cause they were copper and bronze weighing in at up to 10 bucks a piece...

It's gettin bad.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
you see what people resort to when diesel is 4.60 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Wow that's crazy. I have a custom plate that says SMKSTAX on the back and i was thinking of drilling a hole through the bumper and either putting a bolt on with loctite or getting one of those straight pin trailer locks so no one would steal my plate.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
The law enforcement had to recently really crack down on the scrap businesses. We have had several incidents where abandoned or in renovation buildings have caught fire because of people stealing the copper piping and accidently setting the buildings on fire with their cutting torches.

The really weird one is, a couple of weeks ago, we had an outbreak of storm sewer grates stolen. Like over 50 or 60. They were stealing the grates and taking them the local scrap yards.:doh:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I bought license plate screws at Autozone that have a funny shaped head and you need their special tool to remove them. They only cost like $4. I think it will make a thief skip my rig and move on.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
the sherriffs dept up here had tamper proof plate screws, i dont know id they still do but they were free im gonna see if they got more. why the hell do people find it lucrative to steal from a cemetery. we have this problem alot! not the vases yet but im gonna keep an eye out!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Even if they steal your plate, you're off the hook when they find your plate missing from your vehicle and when plate ABC### that's on a red honda doesn't match to the registration for a big pickup......
I'm just a little more worried about getting my two 30+ gallon (van & truck) tanks siphoned than my plate getting jacked.......

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
How many of you can pull up to a pump and get them to just turn it on?

There aren't any gas stations that I know of that do this anymore. They are ALL pre-pay...which completely stops all drive offs.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
About 2 weeks back caught someone trying to siphon some fuel out. :( The fool after getting a mouth full and the taste a diesel gagged got my next doors attention and ran off leaving his hose stuck in the tank. :hehe:

Its time to cut the list of new posting off again. :dunno:

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i got stainless bolts with locktite on them holding my tag to the truck.
Just came back from a cookout at a friends house, hes got a 90 chevy in his shop to rebuild the trans in. Put it on the lift and noticed something was missing....the catalitic converter. The truck hasent been moved in 2 weeks, the owner of the truck had it towed to my friends, and had to come see for himself.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Thanks Chuck! I will keep my eye out and make sure my wife knows too. We have had the Catalytic converter stealing problem over here too. Luckily my truck doesnt have one, :hehe: , and my wife's car is way too low to the ground for them to just go under and get it, plus her exhaust has a kind of channel that the cat and pipes are hugged up against. I am gonna get a locking billet fuel door this week. I will also be adding some locktite to my bolts on my tag, and my wifes tag too.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
How many of you can pull up to a pump and get them to just turn it on?

There aren't any gas stations that I know of that do this anymore. They are ALL pre-pay...which completely stops all drive offs.
I frequent two stations here in Tidewater and use them for my truck and my company truck. I "usually" get the thumbs up. Just Lucky most of the time

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Thanks Chuck! I will keep my eye out and make sure my wife knows too. We have had the Catalytic converter stealing problem over here too. Luckily my truck doesnt have one, :hehe: , and my wife's car is way too low to the ground for them to just go under and get it, plus her exhaust has a kind of channel that the cat and pipes are hugged up against. I am gonna get a locking billet fuel door this week. I will also be adding some locktite to my bolts on my tag, and my wifes tag too.
Locking caps aren't helping too much here when some hoses are being cut

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
There are still a few stations here and there around here that you can go up and just turn them on.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Yeah I know the whole license plate stealing, my buddy had the rear plate stolen off his cummins about a month ago

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
I always get my fuel at the same truck stop, at about the same time of day every time. It helps to get to know the people who work there. They see my truck pull in and they usually turn the pump on for me. Everywhere else around here is pay first.

I've been into scrap of all kinds for a long time, back when prices wre NOT good. There's a lot of people, who are now into it because prices have been going up steadily over the last 18mos.-2 years or so. It pisses guys like me off to no end. Yeah prices are good, but every tom dick and harry and their whole family is doing it now. I've heard hundreds of stories of illegal scrapping, and it gives guys like me a bad name, and now people look at you different when you're doing it. Wondering if you're going to rip them off. And of course now everybody knows the prices of everything!! AAARRRGGGG!!! People that break the law to make money for themselves REALLY SUCK! :ranton: I'm sorry, you guys touched on a sore subject for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts