Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
*Edit* as bismic pointed out below, on 2005 and up trucks there is a code: p012f - oil cooler efficiency monitor.

Not necessarily. There isn't a code for a "bad oil cooler". But, if your oil cooler goes bad, it may eventually cause some other problems that will turn on your CEL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I was thinking. How accurate are the edge Cts2 gauges? Oil temp is reading 220-225

·
Registered
103 Posts
The CTS2 will be as accurate as the sensor is. It's reading that value straight from the PCM. That sensor can go bad, though. What does it look like compared to your coolant temp when the engine is dead cold? They should be within a few degrees of each other before you start the truck.

With all of that said, depending on conditions, 220-225* isn't out of the realm of normal. I don't really start to worry about mine until it hits 230*.

A better tell of oil cooler health is comparing the split between EOT minus ECT (commonly referred to as the "delta"). I'm pretty sure there's a TSB you could find that covers the exact procedure. But, essentially, you get the truck up to operating temp (192*), then drive it at 60-65mph on level ground for 30+ minutes. Do a couple of full throttle runs, and pay attention to your max deltas. Your oil temp should never be more than 15* higher than your coolant temp at any time during that procedure. If it is, you've probably got a clogged oil cooler.

Maybe someone can chime in with more info on the exact procedure, or a link to the TSB.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,652 Posts
There actually is a code for a bad oil cooler for 2005 and up. It is P012F

·
Registered
103 Posts
There actually is a code for a bad oil cooler for 2005 and up. It is P012F
Well, I'll be damned, there sure is. I have never seen that before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I’m assuming just keep rolling with it till I get a code and watch me EOT? It’s never gone above 225ish. It is a 2005.

·
5,652 Posts
It is triggered by the differential temperature (oil - coolant). Your differential may be ok, but your coolant may be too high. You just need to look at all the data.

·
5,652 Posts
btw - the trucks didn't come with the P012F code when bought new. It was an update recommended in a TSB. If you never had the truck PCM flashed (updated) at a dealership, you may not have it.

I can get the TSB date if you need it .....

·
5,652 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts