Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 king ranch PSD that I just purchased a couple weeks ago. When I bought it the truck already had magnaflow exhaust installed and an intake. (forget which brand). The other day I cleaned the air filter and reinstalled it. The following day while towing ~3500# I got the "check air filter" message on the display:dunno:. The only thing I have done to the truck since purchase is installed the 3 standard custom tunes from innovative diesel, with an excalibrator 2. Any Ideas why I would get this message with a newly cleaned air filter. Could it be a bug in the tunes? Thanks in advance.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,442 Posts
Is it an "oil type" air filter? These have been known to cause problems w/ your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. IMO - Change it out if it is a filter that requires oiling.

Also, what does your filter minder say (this is the sensor mentioned in the previous post I believe). Hopefully you still have this filter minder gauge (spring type vacuum measurement device w/ an electrical connector on it). You have to push in on a button on top of the device to reset it. I would not like for my air flow to get so low that the trouble message was displayed. Not good to starve the engine for air.

Most folks say the stock air filter is the best. If you do not have a stock air filter, there are only a few aftermarket types that I personally would consider (AFE STage II Progaurd 7; Air Raid are two that folks have had success with).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses, stock it is. I reset my minder guage and it seems to be OK. But I will be getting a stock filter. Thanks again, this site rocks. :woot:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will I get a decrease in performance if I swap my intake for the stock setup. I have the AFE Magnum Force stage 2 that came on the truck. I would just get the stock filter but I don't think it will fit in the intake cannister.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I had the exact same problem after I re-oiled my AFe Stage II ProG. 7 filter. I do not understand why though because I did not over oil it. I ended up just throughing a K&N filter on there for the time being while the replacement filter is in the mail.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pain Train, are you just putting the stock filter on or are you replacing the AFE intake all together?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Pain Train, are you just putting the stock filter on or are you replacing the AFE intake all together?
Sorry for the long wait...I was in class. I am replacing it with another PG 7 filter from AFe. If it happens again I just might stick with the dreaded K&N :tard: lol. It hasn't given me any problems so far.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will be interesting to see how the new filter works out. I was going to trade it out but I hate getting rid of it since it cost so much....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts