Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im new to the diesel world this is my first truck or car for that matter and I want to know what are some Cheap ways to make power. I have a new fuel system new stock injectors and a wicked wheel 2. Besides a tuner which is something I don't want to do because ive heard it can fry the computer if its not a high performance computer. Ive heard of something called a fuel spring upgrade but I dont really know where to find them or what it is or how to install it. Could anyone help me by giving me some cheap part ideas for more hp its a 2003 f250 automatic crew cab with the 7.3 engine. Thanks!

·
Vendor
13,059 Posts
Not sure who's feeding you that line of BS about frying computers or a "high performance" computer. (There is no such thing)

Staying with stock injectors, especially since you just got them, a TS chip with PHP tunes will make a very noticeable gain in power for the money. But you will want an EGT gauge at the very least. http://cncfab.us/shop/php-tuned-ts-performance-6-position-switch-7-3l-tsphpstk/

Tuning is one of the last things you want to go cheap on.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Welcome to the forum buddy!!!! As Corey stated above the guy who told you that BS doesn't know a thing about Powerstrokes but luckily we have a lot of guys on here who know their stuff and are eager to help. There is honestly no such thing as a "high performance" computer for these trucks... You can buy a chip that plugs in or piggybacks the PCM module and in your in business. The PCM can fry if the chip is not plugged in all of the way (or just not completely seated on the module contacts) which can cause electric archs and basically short out your PCM (This is the only thing I can think of possibly what the guy was talking about but since he told you that crap I highly doubt it lmao). Long story short... go out and buy a 6 POS chip or what I personally would get would be the PHP Hydra chip (because if you wanted it can hold a total of 16 different tunes that can be changed on the fly via a digital controller). Either way, get some good tunes and your chip of choice and it will be a very cost effective performance gain. Definitely something you'll feel in the seat of your pants. (;

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Mitch
999 Posts
I may be wrong, but isn't the fuel spring only on 6.0's? Just going off of my past experience. i don't remember hearing that when I had my 7.3 a few years back. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I may be wrong, but isn't the fuel spring only on 6.0's? Just going off of my past experience. i don't remember hearing that when I had my 7.3 a few years back. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes there is a spring and its called a FPR spring... basically this spring acts like a fuel pressure regulator to help keep the fuel pressure up in heads. The mod this person is talking about is to shim the spring which will hold it even further... But I personally would just delete all of this BS and throw a real RR kit on there but that's just my 0.02$ (;

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
Welcome to the org :)

depending on your goals and emissions laws in your state you have numerous options...

if you don't have to smog or inspect your truck a 6637 air filter mod and straight pipe exhaust will give you a little oomph and help with egts when towing.

for me personally:

get a monitoring system like the torq pro app on your smart phone and then a obdII to blue tooth adapter or and edge insight unit for gauges and codes... Another great addition to the 7.3 is improve the trans life by installing an after market trans mission cooler the more popular ones are the tru cool unit or the 6.0 trans cooler. most people see a 20+ degree cooler trans better for daily driving and towing in general.

I am only going to straight pipe mine in a sneaky way because of emissions and for tuning the best option for power, safety and reliability is the hydra tuner.... you plug a chip into your ecm and have a selector switch to switch tunes everything from valet to anti theft and all tunes downloaded via email so your not pulling the chip everytime you need changes or want to change things...

diesels and cheap do not go together but for simple and relatively cheap power get gauges with straight pipe and 6637 filter mod. more will chime in.

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
Welcome to the org :)

diesels and cheap do not go together
^^^ what Justin said! Work with Corey and he'll get you fixed up with the best mods for your truck. And welcome to the org :ORG welcome:

Reactions: 7.3 powerchoke

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I cant believe I forgot to add this but as stated before, get you some good gauges or a good monitoring system (the very least you should have an egt gauge but boost and trans temp are great to have). Reason being is that egt gauge can save your a$$ and your engine because you can monitor how hot the engine is getting (this is especially important when towing big loads or throwing more fuel at it). :)

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Yes there is a spring and its called a FPR spring... basically this spring acts like a fuel pressure regulator to help keep the fuel pressure up in heads. The mod this person is talking about is to shim the spring which will hold it even further... But I personally would just delete all of this BS and throw a real RR kit on there but that's just my 0.02$ (;

That's right. Essentially the 6.0's have pretty much the same type of system as the 7.3's.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
Yes sir good ole HEUI lmao 😎
Yeah well common rail HP fuel and piezo injectors may be better, right until you have to replace any of it :look: Then hang on to your wallet, I miss the power and response of my 6.4 but that's about it, I'm stayin in the old school :thumb:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yeah well common rail HP fuel and piezo injectors may be better, right until you have to replace any of it :look: Then hang on to your wallet, I miss the power and response of my 6.4 but that's about it, I'm stayin in the old school :thumb:
How much do a set of injectors in a 6.4 run just curious ? (I know I could google it but thanks for the info) (; by the way I'm not saying heui is bad I'm just stating they are both heui I personally love the system

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
$900 for a high pressure fuel pump and $250 for an injector if I remember right, I never had any problems with mine that way, just a clogged oil cooler and head gaskets going bad. Figured going to a 6.0 would be about the same >:)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
$900 for a high pressure fuel pump and $250 for an injector if I remember right, I never had any problems with mine that way, just a clogged oil cooler and head gaskets going bad. Figured going to a 6.0 would be about the same >:)
Okay so it's roughly the same price than because the only thing that might be a little more expensive is the fuel pump vs a hpop ... 250 per injector is roughly the price for 7.3 injectors and a good hpop can cost 900$ easily so what's more expensive ? I'm just wondering please don't take offense to this... Also I can see the heads being a problem because 6.4 heads crack constantly

·
Vendor
13,059 Posts
There is a spring kit. Bob from Diesel-O-rings adds them into his billet FPR kit (comes with 3 different springs). The Black spring is the stronger spring, but I just use very small stainless steel sheet metal screw washers like a 8-24 or similar. I dont really like using the BB as some people do. Washers are easier to dial in closer to what you want without buying the spring kit.

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
Okay so it's roughly the same price than because the only thing that might be a little more expensive is the fuel pump vs a hpop ... 250 per injector is roughly the price for 7.3 injectors and a good hpop can cost 900$ easily so what's more expensive ? I'm just wondering please don't take offense to this... Also I can see the heads being a problem because 6.4 heads crack constantly
I don't know, I may have been wrong. Like I said I never had any fuel problems, I thought I'd heard stuff cost about twice as much. And the only problems I had with mine was a clogged oil cooler and the HGs were going out because it puked every time I got on it and the boost came up. I loved the power and throttle response of the 6.4, and I think some of that comes from the different fuel injection set up, as the piezo injectors are so much more responsive than the oil controlled ones on the 7.3 & 6.0 and the double turbo set up helped too.
I got my 7.3 cause we needed another truck, but it's an ex cab so was my 6.4 We were after a crew cab but couldn't pass on the 7.3 cause it's sweet. So I got rid of the 6.4 and I got my 6.0 since we needed the room and the 6.0 has all the fixes well documented, plus I had a HG job coming up if I kept it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I don't know, I may have been wrong. Like I said I never had any fuel problems, I thought I'd heard stuff cost about twice as much. And the only problems I had with mine was a clogged oil cooler and the HGs were going out because it puked every time I got on it and the boost came up. I loved the power and throttle response of the 6.4, and I think some of that comes from the different fuel injection set up, as the piezo injectors are so much more responsive than the oil controlled ones on the 7.3 & 6.0 and the double turbo set up helped too.
I got my 7.3 cause we needed another truck, but it's an ex cab so was my 6.4 We were after a crew cab but couldn't pass on the 7.3 cause it's sweet. So I got rid of the 6.4 and I got my 6.0 since we needed the room and the 6.0 has all the fixes well documented, plus I had a HG job coming up if I kept it.
How are you liking the 6.0 so far does she run good ? :)

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
How are you liking the 6.0 so far does she run good ? :)
I love it, runs great but it's the first truck with an automatic that I've had in a long time, the last one was an 87 F250 6.9IDI with a 3 speed C6 in it, They've come a long way :thumb: I'm just glad it doesn't have a real wide brake pedal or else I'd be putting everyone through the windshield when I go for the clutch :rofl:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Props on your 6.9 with a 3 speed ... One of my fav trucks right there hands down :) very cool though glad she's running good for ya... Mmmmm dat whistle lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts