Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 CC 4x4 long bed.

In the last year I have done everything under the truck, brakes, bearings, u joints, seals, gaskets, basically everything related to steering and suspension(new shocks are after this) water pump, oil cooler 3rd new napa starter, misc. wiring, rear tank rusted (AZ truck pretty much spotless) on ribs it sits on skid pans, fuel pick up screen broken off in tank, etc.

Trying to finish up my front end and took it to get aligned today after replacing all the tie rods, adjusters, bars, etc and the Spicer ball joints I just installed in January have some slight play already on the drivers side, plus I was told to put adjustable camber bushings in as well.

There are numerous front axle parts that are obsolete now, I try to find oem or the best parts I can, it's a one ton 4x4 that tows a lot.

First ever vehicle that had a rusted tank, the spicer ball joints irritates me, my local napa sends me birthday cards now. Lol

Is there no advantage to buying better parts, or do I just have really bad luck?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Ok well you didn't provide brands or part numbers or any real useful information besides talking points.

So best of luck to you on your search for parts or whatever it is you are looking for or want from us.

·
Administrator
21,558 Posts
How many miles before the play? and how much play?

I've never seen these trucks stay tight, they are basically designed to wear out parts.

As for the best parts, it depends, if you use the truck you will always be replacing them so get the best warranty.

@OCVeloMan @Skyd Ram thoughts?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well you didn't provide brands or part numbers or any real useful information besides talking points.

So best of luck to you on your search for parts or whatever it is you are looking for or want from us.
Well let's see, I listed spicer ball joints , OE parts, OE parts, ie from ford, and lastly was parts from napa. All premium parts, all with failures.

The moral of the post once again, why buy the premium/oe parts if they are going to constantly fail?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many miles before the play? and how much play?

I've never seen these trucks stay tight, they are basically designed to wear out parts.

As for the best parts, it depends, if you use the truck you will always be replacing them so get the best warranty.

@OCVeloMan @Skyd Ram thoughts?
It's not a lot, but its noticeable with a pry bar moving the wheel and enough that I can hear it when I start to turn and enough that they didn't want to align the truck like that, plus I needed $50.00 camber bushings for both sides to even get the front close to where it needs to be caster/camber wise.

I constantly see the ford has a straight front axle and GM has independent and straight is much heavier duty. Well, I have never replaced parts like this on any 3/4 or 1 ton GM I have ever owned.

Your last part about made to wear out parts is what I am feeling. Never had these issues with a king pin 60.

I will guess that I have 12k miles tops on these ball joints since January.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Are you sure it's a ball joint and not a loose hub? I've never had any issues with moog parts, I use moog ball joints because they have a lifetime warrantee and well they are about as good as you can get, I run cheaper tie rods due to the fact that they can be replaced in under and hour. The ball joints are a little more time consuming as you have to remove the hub and axle shaft, time going on over 2 years on the moog ball joints and i dont have any noticable ball joint play. But i do grease them on a regular basis. So I agree, cant really go wrong with moog parts.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Not saying it’s your issue, but dirt can be a bearing’s or joint’s worst enemy. Use a good grease. I personally like Mobil 28, and purge lubricate when practical.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hard to grease a sealed unit Spicer ball joint.

Add another failed part, SKF oil seal for rear hubs. That one made it two weeks. I will admit that sometimes carelessness will screw those up right away, but it never felt like it was a very good seal when I put rear hub assembly on the spindle.

I went cheap this time to see what happens.

Hopefully my sway bar end links show up today.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I refuse to use moog parts anymore. Lifetime warranty is great, but I had numerous moog parts fail on my 2500 suburban.

I try to replace parts with factory stuff if possible and the spicer ball joints are factory.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I feel your pain on the axle seal, I did one on my truck and less than a week later it was leaking again, replaced it and started leaking again, i happened to remove the fill plug to check the oil level and the axle was pressurized, needless to say I never changed the seal but I did clean out the vent tube and never had a leak again. There is usually a reason the seal leaks, be it from age or the mating surface worn out or maybe even bearing preload too tight causing the seal to get hot a start to "melt" if you will.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Also why would you install any moving joint with one that isnt greasable? Grease does break down over time, being able to regrease things will tend to make them last longer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Also why would you install any moving joint with one that isnt greasable? Grease does break down over time, being able to regrease things will tend to make them last longer.
The bottom of the joint will wear out before the grease turns to soap.

If the original spicer joints lasted about 225k I had hopeful expectations of new spicer ones.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel your pain on the axle seal, I did one on my truck and less than a week later it was leaking again, replaced it and started leaking again, i happened to remove the fill plug to check the oil level and the axle was pressurized, needless to say I never changed the seal but I did clean out the vent tube and never had a leak again. There is usually a reason the seal leaks, be it from age or the mating surface worn out or maybe even bearing preload too tight causing the seal to get hot a start to "melt" if you will.
65ft/lbs back off 5 clicks, spindle cleaned each time. Checked vent when I serviced rear diff early this year. May have to check it again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts