Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
BANNED by Kris
6,316 Posts
Filters I listed above both separate and have drains for water/contaminates. Quick turn of the stopper every oil change and you're good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First let me say this is so cool and likely exactly what I'm going to be doing over the next several weeks. This kind of "field engineering" is the kind of help I am looking for for my truck. I'm a long-time wrench on gas engines of all types, done a bit of (mostly legal) racing and built more than a couple of engines. Closest I ever got to a diesel was the crappy 5.7 Olds. :rofl:

Couple of questions.

1) What happens with the electrical wiring that goes to the fuel bowl/heater? Tape it off? Something else? Is there a reason to fashion something that works with this setup for a guy in Western Washington State?
2) Reading through this write up and making some assumptions, does the fuel system on the PSD really run at just 70-75 PSI? I ask because I've always understood diesels in general have fuel systems that run over 2,000 PSI.
3) What happens with the ICP Injection control Pressure (sensor) and it's related wiring?
4) What size relay should be used to run the pump? 25-30 amp?

Thanks guys!

I am also curios as to what you do with the ICP sensor and wiring? can you just delete it? or do you have to re-integrate it into the new setup? thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Still would love to see the pics. This is some great info and a great write up

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
I need pics

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Great thanks! What is the difference in the two pumps?.... er why are you suggesting one over the other?

And x5 on the pics! They would be really handy to have

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
The one I posted is a Bosch. Bosch is the oem superduty pump. The one you post is an unknown aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ahh makes sense. And any recommendations for a mounting bracket for that pump?

And what about using a FPR like this?

Universal Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Oil 100PSI Gauge An 6 Fitting End | eBay

And where can I find fuel filter bases? Im looking at the WIX 24066 for the 30 micron pre pump filter and the WIX 33528 for the 2 micron post pump filter. Obviously the filters are easy to be had but I'm not sure where to find the bases.

I think other than that I've got a good grasp on it. I know Gabe's link for the FPR he used doesn't direct you to it so I'm trying to get these couple parts figured out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
So I got my efuel in and have about 1000 miles on it and it appears that it has significantly reduced my fuel mileage. I'm averaging about 10 mpg now with no changes in driving habits. There's no leaks in the system anywhere so I am really at a loss for what could be causing this. I was getting about 16mpg with the stock setup before. I'm also not really noticing the change in throttle response that most people seem to get. I'm running a Bosch fuel pump with a no name fpr off of eBay. Thanks.

Edit: apparently the no name fpr decides what fuel pressure it wants to be at regardless of how I set it. I'm going to return it and I've already got a Fuelab on order. But would an extreme excess in psi cause the mileage drop? I couldn't get the pressure to drop below 85 psi.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You get it figured out bub?

This may be a thing i tackle in the next couple months cause truck is gonna go in the garage for some much needed maintenance and updates ive been stockpiling and procrastinating on doing.

I thought i had read in the past our trucks will get less than desirable mileage with excessive fuel pressure but dont quote me cause i cant remember where i read it haha.

Anyway post back if youve got it figured.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Word of warning to anyone doing a efuel conversion, I tried using a knock off fuel pump from rockauto and it died with less than 2k kilometers on it. Replaced it with a bosch off Amazon for 125 bucks Canadian (cheap one was about 55) and no issues so far. Dont skimp on the pump or regulator. I used an aeromotive fuel regulator and it has been problem free.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts