Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Electric Fuel, it deletes the mechanical fuel pumps (lift Pumps that run off the cam) in the back valley (under the turbo pedistool) in a OBS powerstroke 7.3. also deletes the fuel bowl and all of its problems. Instead makes it like the Superduty 7.3s with Electric Fuel pumps and better filters.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
No problem. When i have 6.0 questions ill come ask you! lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the write up. This makes it really tempting to do e-fuel as I've had more than one problem with my filter bowl. Im not saying that I'm a master tech but I'm pretty handy with a wrench. Is this something that can be done in a day or two as long as youve got all the major parts lined up and ready to go?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
yes. if you have everything ready to go. one day is plenty enough time to tackle it.

it took me a month cuz i had my motor out and was sourcing parts!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah pulling the motor would probably slow down the process just a bit. Since it requires pulling the fuel components off of the top of the motor would this be a good time to clean the engine, also how would you personally clean it? I would like to get my motor cleaned up to find an oil leak and this seems like a good time to do it.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just pressure wash it.and.scrape! Of caked on dirt.
I pressure washed it and.painted.mine. I would suggest clean it then start it back up let it warm up so it can drip in the certain places

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Updated with pix

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Its in there
holding up perfect no problems at all

·
Registered
88 Posts
First let me say this is so cool and likely exactly what I'm going to be doing over the next several weeks. This kind of "field engineering" is the kind of help I am looking for for my truck. I'm a long-time wrench on gas engines of all types, done a bit of (mostly legal) racing and built more than a couple of engines. Closest I ever got to a diesel was the crappy 5.7 Olds. :rofl:

Couple of questions.

1) What happens with the electrical wiring that goes to the fuel bowl/heater? Tape it off? Something else? Is there a reason to fashion something that works with this setup for a guy in Western Washington State?
2) Reading through this write up and making some assumptions, does the fuel system on the PSD really run at just 70-75 PSI? I ask because I've always understood diesels in general have fuel systems that run over 2,000 PSI.
3) What happens with the ICP Injection control Pressure (sensor) and it's related wiring?
4) What size relay should be used to run the pump? 25-30 amp?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
86 Posts
well if im correct the heater is out of the pic now so you can just pull that wire out of the thing that holds the wires....My q is also what about icp senser wires? Started buying parts today for this setup.. GOOD JOB AND THANKS

·
Registered
318 Posts
I too am going to start sourcing parts for my conversion. I'm going to try calling around and see if there are any super duties at the local junk yards. Do the super dutkes have a fuel water separator and fuel filter assembly I can rob? I know I'll try and find the pump and bracket.

Edit** never mind, I remember now the super duties have the in valley filter and separator still

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK I got everything under the hood done since ups was 3 days late with the regulater.. How ya tell which is the pump line on the switching valve? (For the tanks)..I made my filter brackets out of aluminum diamondplate and its in , just got to get my fuel,n my wiring for pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Driven Diesel is a good source of information for a regulated return system. Here is a link for their instruction manual. It includes pictures of the diverter valve. http://www.strictlydiesel.com/Product_Docs/Driven/Driven-73FS-OBS-FuelSystemTips.pdf
They also have a nice OBS wiring harness that includes the pump relay, a 20 second off delay control timer and an oil pressure switch. I had used the Irate regulated return kit from Irate Diesel which has the fuel pump relay and an inertia switch that will shut off the pump relay incase of an accident. I had incorperated the relay controller and oil pressure switch in my system. I felt like it gave me more control over the relay incase of an accident or if i lost oil pressure.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts