Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a talk with the local Ford dealer service dept. saturday and its not gonna be good for me. I asked about aftermarket parts and warranty issues and here is what he told me.

Straight turbo back exhaust: "you can probably get away with that" and he told me they never denied a warranty claim over an exhaust.

AFE Air Filter: "No way, we look and it voids your warranty for ANY engine claims!!! He went on to tell me they do look unless its a customer pay.

SCT Tuner: same reply as air filter, almost to the word except it voids tranny claims as well. Again he told me they actively look and can tell if a chip or tuner has been used even if it is taken out, especially if they have to pull the heads.

This leaves me two choices. 1) just leave it bone stock and live with it, or 2) Mod it and trailer it back to the dealer in Tn if I have problems.

I talked to the Tn dealer before I bought it and they told me as long as I return it to stock before I bring it in then it will be ok. They don't look for evidence of mods for any warranty claims but they strongly discouraged it. They even told me they would install head studs if I paid for the studs in the event of a head gasket failure, the local dealer here said they wouldn't do that...period. With fuel prices continuing to rise I want to mod for mpg's but if I blow a head gasket and have to trailer it 300 miles thru the mountains of east ky and east tn I've kinda wiped out any plus I would have gained. The one thing I didn't ask was if it would void the warranty if I did the head studs myself, guess I'll have to ask and if they say I will be ok then I want it in writing.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I'd look for a different dealership as well...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
TN Duck- I'm in the same boat as you. Only want to mod for MPG's, but if the warranty goes south and I have to pay for the repairs... no savings at all. pointless. I currently only have a 4" turbo back exhaust.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
id talk to the other dealerships in the area...look for the dealership that services all the fleet company powerstrokes. their normally more understanding and easier to work with because they know the engines inside and out

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
TennesseeDuck, your in Ohio. Give us a call. We may be-able to help with our local dealership.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
who did you talk to at the dealership the tech or the service advisor

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would take Patrick up on his offer and call him. They have some very good dealers in their area that seem to be more than willing to work with you.:thumb:

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would look for a different dealer as well... Just this morning I dropped off my truck at my local Ford dealer, I have RBP exhaust, AFE intake, and an SCT tuner, and he just told me to tell him the truth about the tuner... I told him that yes I do have one, he said ok no big deal... New head gaskets being put in as I write this completely covered under warranty... Needless to say I was very happy that he was so cool about it... He said they don't really care as long as I am honest with him he won't void any of my warranty...

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I would look for a different dealer as well... Just this morning I dropped off my truck at my local Ford dealer, I have RBP exhaust, AFE intake, and an SCT tuner, and he just told me to tell him the truth about the tuner... I told him that yes I do have one, he said ok no big deal... New head gaskets being put in as I write this completely covered under warranty... Needless to say I was very happy that he was so cool about it... He said they don't really care as long as I am honest with him he won't void any of my warranty...
why not get studs put in while they are in there doing the gaskets its cheap insurance if you are keeping the truck for a while

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TN Duck- I'm in the same boat as you. Only want to mod for MPG's, but if the warranty goes south and I have to pay for the repairs... no savings at all. pointless. I currently only have a 4" turbo back exhaust.
I only have to pay for parts actually, lots of diesel experience just not on a PSD. But it still leaves me with a dead warranty issue.

Patrick, her truck is still bone stock but if you think I can squeeze by at one of your dealers then I don't think it will stay stock very much longer.

Bluestroker, I talked with a service advisor. I kinda sorta know a tech there and I don't think I would want him to know that was my truck. Me and his ex wife lived together. That was 7 years ago and he still don't like me :dunno:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Looks like PATRICK's got an IN, I would use this one.

Good luck man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts