Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for my first post to be an inquiry, but I'm seriously so frustrated with this issue that its almost impossible to explain. 2 new batteries and a new 120A alternator. Battery light's still on intermittently. I drove fine from home to work but she wouldn't start when leaving work. When jumping, the alternator puts out 14.2 at the back, otherwise we're at a 10.6. Pulled the new alternator, had it tested at AZ and they say its fine (pulled it twice,tested at two different places). Batteries under load toast are fine. What should I look for next FICM issue? 48.5V there. REALLY not understanding.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
How are all your connections? Are your grounds bad? What about the red cable coming of the alternator... Is it okay? Sounds like a cable or connection issue. Good luck man, electrical issues can be a pain in the rear-end!

·
Registered
656 Posts
What alt did u get? I had a similar problem, bought brand new optimas and a napa 130 alt, two days later my truck wouldnt charge, brought it back and "tested fine" but i convinced them to replace it anyways. The new one worked fine for a few months then had to replace again, now it charges when driving, but idle it barely does anything. I also cleaned my grounds with steel wool and connections with terminal cleaner and that bumped me up almost a full volt.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Check both battery ground connections to the frame, and the ground from the rear of the right head to the firewall. Also check the cab to frame ground under the pass. side front door area.

·
Texas Proud
271 Posts
I would start with the grounds as they have previously stated and check to make sure all connections are tight. Make sure also that the connections are not corroded anywhere. Mine did this last year and on mine (not saying it's the problem for everyone) the ground on the passenger battery to the fender well was frayed and just about broke in 2. Got a new piece of wire and lugs, installed it and my problem was fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts