Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight the charging light just turned on as I was going down the highway and has been on ever since. Put on about 20 miles or so - 30 minutes of driving. I changed the alternator February 2012 with a Autozone alternator. Is it possible it is bad again? THey have the lifetime warranty, so I can get a new one. Could the batteries be bad? I need to drive 25 miles to get it to a place to either get a new alt. or get the charging system checked at the Autozone. Should I be ok to go that far? I have the batteries charging now to get as much charge into them as possible?

THanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had that problem on my truck not to long ago. I found that the wire connecting to the alternator had broken off. Went to the local shop and got a new "dog leg" and put it on. Good as new.

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No multimeter - it's on the to buy list though...

I looked at the wires - not a full inspection - but looked at where enter the connection and they looked fine.
Prior to this I was "offroading" on a trail in the woods to get my trail camera. It was kind of rough - maybe I jolted some a little loose and then later it decided to fail.

Before I go to work in the morning, I will check those wires more carefully

·
Registered
16 Posts
As said above check youre wires and the conector ..... My light was flickering on and off. My batteries were old so I replaced both of them .... still had the same problem checked the plug in and wires on the Alt. and that was my problem....

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
NEVER buy autozone alternators. IF you buy an alternator from autozone, make sure it's oem.

A multimeter will put all of your questions to rest. Test voltage at the batteries, and voltage coming out of the alternator.

Then check connections, the stator wire (if you turn the key forward, does the battery light show up?), grounds.

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does it mean if when I turn the key forward the battery light shows up?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^That means your stator wire is good.... thats a GOOD thing.

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know. I made it to work this morning. Can bad batteries make the light turn on?

I really need to get a multi meter.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Probably only a failing alternator will turn it on... but not necessarily. Hell just go to advanced or autozone and borrow a multimeter in their parking lot and get some numbers on this problem.

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a failed alternator. Batteries were at about half charge when I got there. They did test each individual battery and said one is bad - only putting out 12.39 volts. What should fresh batteries put out?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
W/ the truck running 14.5v, +/- .5-1v

·
Registered
146 Posts
Batteries wil stabilize at around 12 volts with no load on them. The alternator will put out 14.4 when it is running right. I know that you know you need a meter, but I'm going to reinforce that knowledge. They are only $5 at Harbor Freight for a basic meter, or for $12 you can get one with a clip on amp meter. I'm glad you found your issue and it was under warranty!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts