Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to needing to change the oil in my truck for the first time, I know the motor holds 15qts, but how much of that is actually changed out? Been picking up a gallon of t6 whenever I can make myself go to walmart. Just trying to get a rough idea to make sure I have enough

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's 15 quarts every time.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thought I had heard some won't drain, must not be a significant amount.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have 70,000 mi on my truck and just changed the oil for the 14th time. 15 quarts every time. Easiest oil change you'll ever do.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,088 Posts
The entire oil capacity is 18 quarts, - at least 3 quarts remain in the system when draining from the oil pan.

If I were to charge my engine w/ 15 quarts at an oil change, the level would be overful on my dipstick.

Since it is common to see a leaking injector cause an increase in the oil level (fuel dilution of the oil), I recommend adding ONLY enough oil to get to the max level on the dipstick.

For some, this is as little as 13.5 quarts. Others 14 quarts ...... Others 15 quarts (and yes they are all draining the oil filter reservoir properly and still see the variability).

It is frustrating for sure, but IMO all of the above are the "correct answer".

·
Registered
933 Posts
I usually buy 4 gallons and keep the last half in my tool box

·
Registered
96 Posts
Exacltly 15 quarts here on first oil change wth truck. Make sure you loosen the oil filter cap so the oil there drains to the pan. Check your drain plug as well, mine had a copper washer that was pretty worn down and needed replacing.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Getting close to needing to change the oil in my truck for the first time, I know the motor holds 15qts, but how much of that is actually changed out? Been picking up a gallon of t6 whenever I can make myself go to walmart. Just trying to get a rough idea to make sure I have enough
Suggest adding a quick drain valve to the oil pan in place of the factory plug. Far less messy to change the oil, and you don't need to worry about the threads of the oil pan getting worn or damaged over time. I used a Fumoto valve. If you go this route you also need to add an external magnet to your oil plan next to the drain valve to re-gain the magnetic aspects of the factory drain plug.

Also, with regard to a drain pan, if you have a 4X4 you should be able to slide a 5 gallon bucket directly under the engine oil drain. Buy a 5 gallon bucket with lid at your local hardware or big box store. Drain the oil into the bucket, slap the lid on, slide the bucket out, take to local oil recycler/drop-off location.

·
Registered
567 Posts
15 everytime, and a M/C filter . No aftermark filters.....Steve

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Suggest adding a quick drain valve to the oil pan in place of the factory plug. Far less messy to change the oil, and you don't need to worry about the threads of the oil pan getting worn or damaged over time. I used a Fumoto valve. If you go this route you also need to add an external magnet to your oil plan next to the drain valve to re-gain the magnetic aspects of the factory drain plug.
Where did you order your Fumoto Valve? I was thinking about ordering one myself... I found some on eBay for around $30 (I think)

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Yep. It makes oil changes sooooo much easier.
I have a friend that takes all my old oil and has has jugs that are 2 1/2 gallons. I can just toss one of them under the truck, fill it up and shut the valve off, get another jug and drain the rest in to it. No pouring oil out of a catch pan, no oil mess.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Nice! Yeah, it looks like it'd help a TON! No more, "Wait for it.... wait for it..... wait fo- DAMNIT! That oil's hot!!!!" moments when unscrewing the drain plug. haha!

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Nice! Yeah, it looks like it'd help a TON! No more, "Wait for it.... wait for it..... wait fo- DAMNIT! That oil's hot!!!!" moments when unscrewing the drain plug. haha!
Exactly. Just remember to add a magnet to your oil pan next to the Fumoto drain valve, to make up for the magnetic properties of the factory drain plug. When ready to change the oil (did mine yesterday), drive the truck until up to normal operating temp, slide bucket/pan underneath, pull magnet from pan and temporarily stick to control arm (or other handy non-electrical steel part). Open drain valve and let'er rip :thumb:

When done draining close valve and re-apply magnet to oil pan (next to drain valve).

One last thing, as I frequently go off-road with my truck, I was concerned that an errant stick or bush could accidental open the valve. As an added layer of protection, I put a zip tie on the valve that prevents the lever from being moved. At next oil change, use a pair of side cutters or razor knife to cut and remove the zip tie.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
^^^^^ Thanks for those tips. I will be putting a Fumoto in on my next oil change. I had been having my oil changed for free down in Oregon, since have moved. First oil change I had to buy a new "made of solid gold" copper washer for the drain plug. Ford charged me $15 for that thing. Not any more!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet will have to look into getting one of those too, I still have about 2k untill I hit that 5k mark so I should have time to get it here before I change the oil.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i put 4 gallons in every oil change...never a prob !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts