Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be changing my oil tomorrow, and wanted to see what flavor of oil i should run. I have an 08 f-250, dpf delete, and 105k miles on it.
I have been running motorcraft oil in it, but tired of taking it to the dealership to get it changed..
Ive been looking at running the Rotella 5w-40 synthetic T6 oil, but open to any opinions.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you are DPF delete then the synthetic 5W40 would be a good choice. I am still in warrenty and have the regen still functioning so the Rotella15W40 works for me. I believe the owners manual also suggests the 5W40

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
I use whatever 15w40 is on sale. Motorcraft is the easiest because it comes in 5qt jugs. They sell Motorcraft oil and filters at walmart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run valvoline 15w-40. Dpf delete gutted doc and change it every 7500 miles or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I run Rotella T6 5/40 synthetic, I'm now up to 10K oil changes with Blackstone reports looking good.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I was in your shoes a while back. I read a whole bunch of threads on here about oil and best types and stuff. You will find LOTS of different opinions about dyno vs synthetic, 15W40 vs 5w40, and brands of oil. It can get really frustrating because everyone runs what they want to run for their specific truck for their own gathered reasons.

I've run Rotella Triple (15W40), Rotella T6 (15W40), Dello 400LE (15W40), and Motorcraft 15W40 all since i've owned the truck. I'm probably going to get verbally abused from saying this, but I have seen ZERO performance differences between the 4 (JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES FELLAS...NOT SAYING SOME ARE WORSE/BETTER THAN OTHERS). That being said, after reading on here, i have come to the following conclusions:

• Most people that are running 5W40 full synthetic are running Rotella T6, Amsoil, or Mobil. I have no idea about which is best--all i know is they are daggum expensive.
  • The only reason I personally could justify spend an extra $20-40 an oil change (when our filters alone cost $20) is if I had a oil filter bypass system and was running my oil changes 20K or more at a time, or I lived in Alaska or some really cold climates up north that need the 5W40 to get started. (Remember we don't have HPOP on our 6.4s so we don't have as much of a starting concern as the 6.0s...also if it's that cold you should be using a heater core anyway)
  • Oil is one of the topics that will never be one brand/type/weight fits all. The top reasons for deciding which oil to run are typically $$$, Ambient Temperatures and climates and season changes for starting conditions, Modified/Tuned or Stock, and Uses of the truck (DD, Work truck, grocery getter, RV puller, etc.). Everyone's truck may have the same basic necessary components (like a human head--ears to hear, nose, mouth to eat/smell, tongue to taste, etc.--trucks have head gaskets, pistons, HPFP, radiators, wheels, tires, PCU, etc.), but everyone has a different purpose for their trucks and not all are modified (human comparison--no fake boobies:taze:). Some idle more than others, some haul more than others, some never drive their truck but one season a year. My point is that just because someone is having great luck with one brand/type and weight of oil, does not mean your truck will experience the same. I do recommend this--if you're not running a bypass oil filter system, and you aren't tuned, change your oil NLT every 3500 miles. If you're deleted, change every 5-6k and if you want to squeeze a few more miles, get an oil analysis. To me squeezing another 1k miles is nearly useless if you're running 15W40 and changing every 5K miles. If you're running synthetic and still changing that often, i'd look into it to justify the extra cost of synthetic oil.

What do I run? I've moved back to Motorcraft 15W40 with MC filters. Why? These trucks were tested with this oil, and this oil only. This is what they were designed to run (unless Ford Engineers are just being jerks and test these trucks on some super synthetic oil...:banging:). Also, I'd much rather change my oil at 5K mile intervals and use fresh stuff instead of risking extended oil changes to save $10 that could long term create $10K worth of damage to my motor somewhere/somehow. Not to mention you only have to buy 3 jugs (exactly 15 quarts), and it's more reasonably priced than synthetic. I have had several conversations with Ford Diesel Master Technicians, big modified 6.4 truck owners, Spartan, H&S, PTP, etc. and most all have said they run Ford MC 15W40 because that's what the Ford Engineers designed them to use. The ones that aren't are running oil bi-pass filtration systems, or are super anal about their oil and it helps them sleep at night. If the professionals say MC, I'm gonna stick with MC. It's more affordable, easier to find/change, and it's supposed to be built specific for our PSD.

Long story short--if you're stock, MC 15W40 at 3500 miles; if you're tuned, MC 15W40 at 5-6K miles, all with MC filters and nothing else. If you're anal and don't believe in MC or you've read Bill or Bob the oil guy's (whatever his name is) threads or you live in extremely cold climates look into 5W40 synthetics. Not all trucks run the same on the same or different oil...to each his own!

Hope that helps...my oil rant!!! :icon_ford::icon_ford::icon_ford:

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
^ I agree 110%

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Good post and good info wilson :thumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hope that helps...my oil rant!!! :icon_ford::icon_ford::icon_ford:
It did...I'll be sticking with MC 15w40 since that is all my truck has ever seen at the dealership and I'll be changing the oil this week for the first time since I owned it (only because I don't think the dealership said they changed it when it was traded in a mere 250 miles ago, yet the oil is black as night!) I'm changing it all and probably never going to that dealer again. I'm switching to forddieseldoctor's shop, if needed, because he's on this board, went out of his way to PM me some, and he's 10 miles closer to my house. :thumb:

Hopefully, I don't need to use him though...:please:

·
Registered
115 Posts
My manual says to run 5w40 synthetic so thats what I do. I buy Motorcraft Oil from the dealership and order Mortorcraft filters online for half the price of my dealership. I run these simply because thats what the truck was built for. Not sure about all the people running 15w40, but my manual says 5w40 and the dealerships here wont even sell 15w40 to guys with 6.4s. Just my experience so far. I change mine at 8000km, I want clean oil for a long lasting engine. Got over 500,000km on my old 7.3 and have changed the oil every 5000km to 8000km since I bought the truck with 150,000km and never had an issue.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Beautiful truck Kenjamin :) I am gather interest in an Alberta Powerstroke meet or atleast a calgary gathering maybe if you are interested :)

Found a good online filter site that ships into Canada?

·
Registered
49 Posts
i use caterpillar oil 15W/40 , truck runs real smooth you could tell the difference, less knocking and it does not get black fast like most oil. i change oil every 5,000 miles and it still has good viscosity ill say like 75%

ive tried delo and rotella and motorcraft.

caterpillar is the keeper.

btw caterpillar oil is design to run 15,000 + miles. (i own 7 big rigs if that helps, i got Detroit/caterpillar/cummins in my fleet) they all use this oil).

http://parts.cat.com/parts/machine-fluids/oils/diesel-engine-oil/cat-deo-uls

btw i use motorcraft filters

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
My manual says to run 5w40 synthetic so thats what I do. I buy Motorcraft Oil from the dealership and order Mortorcraft filters online for half the price of my dealership. I run these simply because thats what the truck was built for. Not sure about all the people running 15w40, but my manual says 5w40 and the dealerships here wont even sell 15w40 to guys with 6.4s. Just my experience so far. I change mine at 8000km, I want clean oil for a long lasting engine. Got over 500,000km on my old 7.3 and have changed the oil every 5000km to 8000km since I bought the truck with 150,000km and never had an issue.
That just goes to show you. My dealership freaked out when I told them I was running 5w40. My manual says to use 15w40 but it also shows on a little chart that 5w40 is ok as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That just goes to show you. My dealership freaked out when I told them I was running 5w40. My manual says to use 15w40 but it also shows on a little chart that 5w40 is ok as well.
What I have found with Ford Dealerships is that there is no consistency from town to town. From what I have heard from tons of threads is that 15w40 is fine (plus its a lot cheaper) but apparently after you delete your truck 5w40 is a must. Im not a mechanic so I just go from what Im told mostly. Im sure they are both fine in the end. Its probably the guys who dont care and never change their oil on time that get a million miles anyways, haha.

Oh and for the question above I get my filters from dieselfiltersonline.com. I think the shipping to canada is a tad pricey but if you order in bulk its worth it. I have a connection at the border so I order EVERYTHING from the states to shiphappens and then I get it picked up from there.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Not to question you, sir, but unless you have a different 6.4 manual than us, Ford uses expected temperature ranges to determine the SAE Viscosity Grades, 5W40 being the oil capable of the widest range of temperatures (-20 to +100 deg. F). 15W40 is 20-100+ deg. F, 10W-30 is 0-50 deg. F, and 0W30/0W40 is -20+ to 50 deg. F (+ meaning greater than the shown temp.). I'm assuming you experience temperatures ranging -20 to 100+ deg.; therefore, you run 5W40 year-round. Just don't want to confuse anyone here...
:icon_ford:

i use caterpillar oil 15W/40 , truck runs real smooth you could tell the difference, less knocking and it does not get black fast like most oil. i change oil every 5,000 miles and it still has good viscosity ill say like 75%

ive tried delo and rotella and motorcraft.

caterpillar is the keeper.

btw caterpillar oil is design to run 15,000 + miles. (i own 7 big rigs if that helps, i got Detroit/caterpillar/cummins in my fleet) they all use this oil).

Cat Parts: Cat® DEO-ULS™

btw i use motorcraft filters
Never heard of anyone running CAT oil 15W40 in their 6.4 PSD. What's the cost of that stuff? I'm assuming it's decent Dino Oil? Have you done any oil analysis to show your wear other than good sound and color (viscosity)? I'm interested in hearing more about this.:D

What I have found with Ford Dealerships is that there is no consistency from town to town. From what I have heard from tons of threads is that 15w40 is fine (plus its a lot cheaper) but apparently after you delete your truck 5w40 is a must. Im not a mechanic so I just go from what Im told mostly. Im sure they are both fine in the end. Its probably the guys who dont care and never change their oil on time that get a million miles anyways, haha.

Oh and for the question above I get my filters from dieselfiltersonline.com. I think the shipping to canada is a tad pricey but if you order in bulk its worth it. I have a connection at the border so I order EVERYTHING from the states to shiphappens and then I get it picked up from there.
No consistency--Aaaaaamen brother! you're better off doing ALL routine maintenance your [email protected] self!

"...apparently after you delete your truck 5W40 is a must." I'd like to see some supporting data on that. I know you said your not a mechanic and it's what you've been told, but I'd like to know who is telling you that. Like I stated previously, all of the performance goo-roo's i have talked to that have deleted 6.4 PSDs and are putting out 600+ Daily horsepower mostly run Motorcraft 15W40. I've done tons of research on 5W40 and 15W40, and it's a very sensitive, heavily biased, and multi-opinionated topic--let alone BRANDS of oil. I'm not doubting you, just wondering for some more data on the statement to formulate an educated opinion (for myself)

The good/bad thing about this site is it is very informative, but not all comments and data is supported by fact or personal experiences, and some are even just heresay. It's very difficult to pull away from the ORG with an answer that helps you sleep at night with sooooooooo many different proven/unproven opinions.:tard::dunno::doh:

Again, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i decided to go with the Amsoil 5w40 oil for my truck!
I called my local diesel shop and that's what they recommended to run, that's what they run in all of there trucks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i decided to go with the Amsoil 5w40 oil for my truck!
I called my local diesel shop and that's what they recommended to run, that's what they run in all of there trucks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
08 f350

Im using 15w40 delo right now. do you suggest 5w40 for the winter? i live in Saskatchewan and it can be brutally cold here for months, like 30 to 40 degrees celcius below zero

1 - 18 of 18 Posts