Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new here and new to diesel trucks. I have a 04 F350 and don't want to put a whole lot of money into it, but there is a local shop that can change out my stock muffler for a flowmaster (don't know which one) for $250. He would basically cut out my muffler and install the new one leaving my factory 3.5" pipes alone. My question is this: will this do anything for the truck? Increase horsepower/torque? I don't know if the factory muffler has any restrictions or if it is a flow through design like the flowmaster that I would put on there?
My reasoning for just changing the muffler is to save money over changing the whole cat back system. Am I going about this all wrong? I'm sure it is better to redo the whole cat back system to get rid of sharp bends in the pipe, but isn't the stock muffler the most restrictive thing in the factory exhaust system?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sounds like a hose job at the muffler shop. I'm not sure what a flowmaster costs these days, but his price seems rather high. You can buy a turbo back 4" from farmboys diesel for the same money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm definitely going to find out what series/kind of muffler he is quoting before I do anything. I'm going to try a couple more shops tomorrow for quotes because this guy doesn't seem like he wants my business.

If I buy the 4" system online, I would still have to pay someone to install it right? I had a 2000 dodge ram bought in 2000, bought a gibson cat back dual exhaust for it, installed it with a friend, ended up having to torch cut the old one off cause everything had rusted together. 12hrs later, I had a new exhaust. I don't want to go through that again. Suggestions? Is deleting the muffler and cat legal in Georgia? What does the cat do anyway? Is my idea of changing the muffler only not worth the money?

Anyone know what a stock factory muffler looks like anyway compared to an aftermarket flowmaster style muffler? I'm sure that there has to be a difference in flow and have always heard that stock mufflers reduce your power.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you should hit up farmboydiesel in the vender section,, he has turbo back straight piped systems for $235.00 sounds like a better deal to me... that pipe comes with no caat or muffler i belive... sounds good and helps out alot..:icon_ford:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so a 4" turbo back eliminates the muffler and cat?
I thought cats were required on vehicles. Are there different laws for different states? I'm in GA.
What's the going rate for installing a turbo back 4" system so I don't get ripped? Would it be cheaper to have a local guy just make me a setup instead of buying prebent for $235? Just throwing out some of my initial thoughts.

·
back to business
3,551 Posts
An after market exhaust won't automatically delete the cat and muff. You DO have the option of deleting one or the other, or both.

Most, MOST, states don't bother with I/m's on diesels, so deleting the cat shouldn't be a problem.

I'd suggest doing the install yourself, A sawzall works wonders for getting an old exhaust out. Easier and safer that torchin' it.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, more help needed

OK,
I went to a couple more muffler shops and here are some more options for me. 1st guy: $275 to install 8880 Jones Muffler (see thru design), remove catconv., keep old pipe. 2nd Guy: $300 to install ProFlow Muffler (see thru design), remove cat, keep old pipe. I don't know about either company's mufflers, but either option gives me No Cat and a open flow muffler with my existing 3.5" pipe.
Are either of these good options for a non-do it yourselfer. I just don't think I could install one of those 4" Turbo back systems that eliminate muffler and cat from Farmboydiesel for $235 even though that's pretty cheap. I haven't gotten a quote from him, but that's what people are saying.

I really only have $400-500 to play with and want the most bang for my buck as far as upgrades go. I'm also considering a programmer, but don't know alot about them. I've done the Doodad? air filter thingy (cutting the hole in front of the air filter behind the grill) and was thinking that exhaust is next. Maybe I leave the exhaust factory and just buy a good programmer?
Help Please. I'm torn and don't know alot about this stuff.

Also, what are EGTs?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
OK,
I went to a couple more muffler shops and here are some more options for me. 1st guy: $275 to install 8880 Jones Muffler (see thru design), remove catconv., keep old pipe. 2nd Guy: $300 to install ProFlow Muffler (see thru design), remove cat, keep old pipe. I don't know about either company's mufflers, but either option gives me No Cat and a open flow muffler with my existing 3.5" pipe.
Are either of these good options for a non-do it yourselfer. I just don't think I could install one of those 4" Turbo back systems that eliminate muffler and cat from Farmboydiesel for $235 even though that's pretty cheap. I haven't gotten a quote from him, but that's what people are saying.

I really only have $400-500 to play with and want the most bang for my buck as far as upgrades go. I'm also considering a programmer, but don't know alot about them. I've done the Doodad? air filter thingy (cutting the hole in front of the air filter behind the grill) and was thinking that exhaust is next. Maybe I leave the exhaust factory and just buy a good programmer?
Help Please. I'm torn and don't know alot about this stuff.

Also, what are EGTs?
if i were you i would get a 3.5-4in. adapter and put a 45 degree pipe on it 4 in. and run it out in front of the rear tire and put a muffler on it-very easy, helped a buddy do this and took like like 1 hour, a sawzall, a few clamps and a 9/16 wrench
there is really nothing to it

e-exhaust
g-gas
t-temp.

and if you do strait pipe (no muff) most states have that law to have a cat. but nobody hardly ever checks to see if you have on or not:thumb:

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
Welcome to the ORG, Joe. I would go with an exhaust as your next modification. What I would suggest is contacting Gus at Farmboys Diesel and get a 4" turbo back system, like these guys are suggesting. Then, you should contact these same muffler shops and find out how much they would charge you to remove the stock exhaust and install your new exhaust. Good luck!

PS. Since you aren't a D-I-Y'er, you might consider leaving the catalytic converter in place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

OK,
I had my local guy put a cat delete pipe in and replace my factory muffler with a Jones freeflow (seethru) muffler. Not much louder, but definitely more airflow. I can hear the turbo now. It's not extreme like an airplane taking off like a 5" pipe does, but figured for $275 my truck is breathing better, especially with the zoodad mod under the grill. I'm getting an aftermarket afe filter to replace the paper one that I have now to get more air. I think that gonna be it for now.

I've got another problem that I'm trying to figure out now. Please look at the link below to see if you can possibly help me. I just don't know why it's doing that. If anyone knows how to link that please help me out so we don't have to copy and paste it.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/57062-slow-going-morning-just-before-warms-up.html

·
Registered
234 Posts
I hope you kept the cat, because you never know laws may change and you may need to put it back on, and they arent to cheep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll call him tomorrow. I didn't even think about keeping the old stuff untill you said something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, just added pics to my signature and realized they are big. Let me know how to reduce their size.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
dude go to the exaust place and get a 4ft section of pipe. sawzall out cat and muff and weld new pipe in. get hangars also. 40 bucks and some of your time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts