Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So are there any tips or tricks I should know before changing the coolant in my 6.0 . I have ford gold coolant and distilled water . Not my first time changing colant , just the first time in a 6.0 with all the nice fancy egr and egr cooler stuff . Just looking to avoid air bubbles getting trapped , Thanks .

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
If you want to ensure you drain ALL the coolant out, don't just drain the radiator. You need to remove the 8mm allen plugs at the rear of each side of the block too. The passenger side requires starter removal to access.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You might wanna use the ford system iron flush in it before putting new coolant in it. 2 quarts about 10 bucks a piece.
JER-1
:icon_ford::thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Yeah but you also need to remove the thermostat to use that, there is a flushing procedure TSB regarding this.

Iron cleaner is part number VC-9

Can't remember the tsb number off the top of my head at 11:30 on a friday night, sorry guys :D

*clang*

·
lost in space
1,387 Posts
The passenger side requires starter removal to access.
nah...you can get a 1/4 drive universal joint in thru the framerail holes, i have a pic somewhere when i did mine, lemme go find it...

·
lost in space
1,387 Posts
here they are...

...no starter removal needed, the caveat being perhaps later model trucks dont have the same framerail holes?!? :thumb:

·
Registered
483 Posts
What is iron flush? Is that some sort of flush for the cooling system that is supposed to clean the all the passages and areas like the EGR and oil cooler. Should one add that RM 125 coolant system treatment that Diesel
site sells when changing the coolant in a 6.0? I got a flush coming up soon and was hoping to get some answers as well :crazy:.

·
lost in space
1,387 Posts
I have ford gold coolant and distilled water .
also...the gold coolant isnt exactly all that great since (as i understand it) it does not have enough cavitation protection out of the bottle. this is why a bunch of us have gone ahead and gone to an ELC coolant (among other reasons) :icon_ford:

·
Registered
642 Posts
here they are...

...no starter removal needed, the caveat being perhaps later model trucks dont have the same framerail holes?!? :thumb:
This is why I love this site.....:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Is that a 6.0 or a 7.3?

Looks kinda like a 7.3 to me. Especially since you're using a 1/4 drive universal adapter to undo it, whereas the 6.0 is an 8mm hex.

Because I just dropped those plugs on a 6.0, doing head gaskets, and the starter solenoid was in the road of the RH side one.

·
lost in space
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the information everyone . :thumb: I am going to give it a go later today when it warms up some .

·
Registered
483 Posts
Can somebody elaborate on what the iron flush is? And what is an ELC coolant?

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
You keep saying gold coolant, I went to I-H house and ask for coolant for my 6.0 and it's red in color? It's the long life Shell Rotella. Is this going to be OK to use. My truck now has 54.000 miles on it.
Doug

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Ford spec's a gold antifreeze for the 6.0.

Iron Cleaner is VC-9 Cooling System Iron Cleaner. It's nasty ****, don't breathe the fumes. Cleans the cooling system out real nice though.

·
lost in space
1,387 Posts
Can somebody elaborate on what the iron flush is? And what is an ELC coolant?
see above for iron flush, never heard that one before. i flush with about 20 gallons of distilled water from wally world for 59 cents each :thumb:

ELC is extended life coolant...good for about half a million miles. plus it does not require checking/adding/maintaining cavitation additives, which you have to do even with Fords gold stuff ;)

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
My IH dealer told me to use the Fleetrite Red. It is an ELC.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,416 Posts
My IH dealer told me to use the Fleetrite Red. It is an ELC.
Many folks that talk w/ International are going to the ELC coolant. Just be aware that Ford is VERY picky about paying for things under warranty an may not approve of the ELC. The ELC talks about being good for 500,000 miles, but many are skeptical.

Also Zerex G-05 has received the ASTM D6210 rating that is recommended by International folks (and is why many switched to the ELC - because the Ford Gold does not have this rating - yet). The Motorcraft Premium Gold is supposed to be the same as the G-05. You do need to periodically check the nitrites with this coolant and a flush every 50k miles is a good idea. It does have adequate cavitation right out of the bottle. It just does not seem to last the 100k miles (apprx) that Ford initially thought it would.

·
lost in space
1,387 Posts
Many folks that talk w/ International are going to the ELC coolant. Just be aware that Ford is VERY picky about paying for things under warranty an may not approve of the ELC. The ELC talks about being good for 500,000 miles, but many are skeptical.

Also Zerex G-05 has received the ASTM D6210 rating that is recommended by International folks (and is why many switched to the ELC - because the Ford Gold does not have this rating - yet). The Motorcraft Premium Gold is supposed to be the same as the G-05. You do need to periodically check the nitrites with this coolant and a flush every 50k miles is a good idea. It does have adequate cavitation right out of the bottle. It just does not seem to last the 100k miles (apprx) that Ford initially thought it would.
good point with the warranty, i think it would depend on the issue being warrantied...but i will defer to the experts on this one :thumb:

however...i will disagree on the gold coolant and its cavitation capabilities. when it came time for me to flush my system i did some askin, readin, and questioning. i stumbled into more than one comment about the questionability of the gold colant so i ran my own test. i have a good friend or two at the local ford dealer and i made a bet with em...if an off the shelf bottle passed the test strips i would dump my ideas of going to an ELC and buy the gold on the spot...if it didnt, then they had to buy my coolant of choice...

...long story short, i have CAT ELC in my truck now and it didnt cost me a dime, as the gold had about HALF of the ideal PPM. we did the calcs that same day and it woulda taken two bottles of additive to get them into acceptable range...and that stuff aint cheap either :crazy:

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,416 Posts
good point with the warranty, i think it would depend on the issue being warrantied...but i will defer to the experts on this one :thumb:

however...i will disagree on the gold coolant and its cavitation capabilities. when it came time for me to flush my system i did some askin, readin, and questioning. i stumbled into more than one comment about the questionability of the gold colant so i ran my own test. i have a good friend or two at the local ford dealer and i made a bet with em...if an off the shelf bottle passed the test strips i would dump my ideas of going to an ELC and buy the gold on the spot...if it didnt, then they had to buy my coolant of choice...

...long story short, i have CAT ELC in my truck now and it didnt cost me a dime, as the gold had about HALF of the ideal PPM. we did the calcs that same day and it woulda taken two bottles of additive to get them into acceptable range...and that stuff aint cheap either :crazy:
Really - none of them had 800 ppm Nitrite? ..... or were you shooting for a higher value? This is the first I have heard of the initial charge being questioned.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts