Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I bought my 6.0 used from a guy I’ve worked with for quite a few years and he took very good care of it. The only thing he never “took care of” if I should put it that way, was changing the trans fluid and filters. He thinks it may have been done one time but years ago, it has almost 164k on it and right now I do not have a tune on it (still have to contact sct). I was wondering if I should stick with the dipstick recommended Motorcraft brand Mercon LV or use another brand like Vavoline that is equivalent? I’m going to just get the normal 6.0 pan filter, and in line and not do the 08 upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Edit: Also, I’ve heard that the pan gasket is re-useable, and also labeled as so on the trans oil pan. I was going to just get a new one anyway if it still is original 😬

·
Registered
134 Posts
The filter inside the pan is more of a screen than anything else. There is no need to drop the pan if you're not going to be doing the '08 better filter and pan conversion.

Everyone I've ever seen reccomends going with the motorcaft fluid and nothing else.

Personally, if it hasn't been fully changed I'd recommend that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,676 Posts
Motorcraft brand Mercon LV isn't that expensive compared to a new transmission. If you drop the in-pan element you are looking at close to a case of fluid anyway.
If you are spending money on a new gasket and older in-pan element why not see what a new '08 pan costs?? I mean you are like 2/3's of the way there...

New gasket, new fluid, new filters......why not a new pan?? Just price it out. Pretty sure the in-pan elements are pretty close in cost too. So that's a wash.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I recently changed mine with valvoline max life. Also upgraded to the 08 pan and filter. Mine was pretty bad. Also think about changing your transfer case. Mine was black like oil when I changed mine. It was long over due.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you're dropping the pan, a good call would be changing out the trans temp sensor while you're at it. It's under the in-pan filter.

Mine went bad two weeks after changing the fluid. I had to drop the pan again to swap it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I paid $45 for the 6.4 filter and $36 for the 6.4 upgraded pan from Riffraff Diesel last fall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just did mine (6.4 pan/filter swap and new gasket). I couldn’t find good enough info on using other brand fluids. So I stuck with newer Mercon LV (even though it says to use SP). Amazon had a case at the cheapest price/shipping. Left you with 2 extra quarts for your transfer case. A few thousand miles on the LV and no probs. Definitely piece of mind with the 6.4 filter in there. Be sure to change out the exterior filter/toilet paper roll as well. Use an impact on that guy, I tried using a socket wrench originally and snapped some of the metal off the filter case trying to torque it off.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just did mine (6.4 pan/filter swap and new gasket). I couldn’t find good enough info on using other brand fluids. So I stuck with newer Mercon LV (even though it says to use SP). Amazon had a case at the cheapest price/shipping. Left you with 2 extra quarts for your transfer case. A few thousand miles on the LV and no probs. Definitely piece of mind with the 6.4 filter in there. Be sure to change out the exterior filter/toilet paper roll as well. Use an impact on that guy, I tried using a socket wrench originally and snapped some of the metal off the filter case trying to torque it off.
My toilet paper filter was a real pain too. I tried using the impact and it damaged the cup. Thinking it might be loose I grabbed onto it with a socket and a breaker bar and snapped the thing clean off.

Let's just say some things came out of my mouth that wouldn't normally come out.

I ended up having to use an air chisel to turn it. Replaced the cup and the seal gasket and all seems to be good.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
You can only get about half the fluid at a time. If you want new fluid because its been in there so long, consider the expensive dealer flush.

Some other vehicles you can run the truck and drain fluid a quart a time from the cooling lines. That does not work on this truck.

Some would be reluctant to change fluid that old because they feel the transmission is worn out but some of the grit in the fluid give the clutches the friction it needs to engage. IMO, if your transmission went bad after getting rid of this 15 year old fluid, then the transmission was on its way out anyway.

·
Super Moderator
9,676 Posts
Awhile back it was being suggested to NOT use the dealership to do a full transmission flush with the machine. People were reporting trans issues after the work was done. Some people resulted to cutting the transmission fluid change interval in half, draining the pan, and just adding fresh fluid to the correct level. So it was like a 60k drain and fill, versus the 120k full flush....something like that.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,999 Posts
Ford suggests servicing the transmission fluid and filters every 30k miles.

I have been doing a drain/fill process repeated 3 times - every 30k miles and it has worked well.

Here is a DIY way to flush the transmission:

Reactions: ChrisSki

·
Registered
355 Posts
I went with the 6.4 pan and filter and stayed with the Motorcraft LV fluid. The conversion to the 6.4 pan and filter was not that expensive and since automatic transmissions live and die based on the cleanliness and quality of the fluid I figured it was money well spent. I did my change then ran the truck for a week then did another drain and fill then repeated it one more time after that to get all of the fluid changed out. When I bought my truck it had 256K on the trans and I didn't have good service records either. I'm up to 281K now and the trans is doing great. I will be doing a drain and fill every 20K miles as my truck is a F550 an is always loaded heavy.

Reactions: 007matman

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Ford suggests servicing the transmission fluid and filters every 30k miles.

I have been doing a drain/fill process repeated 3 times - every 30k miles and it has worked well.

Here is a DIY way to flush the transmission:
I really like that idea and think I’ll use it. 3/4“ Outside Diameter hose and some longer transmission bolts to let the hose get routed through the top of the pan so it can go from the transmission filter hole to a bottle holding five quarts of transmission fluid.

Much easier than the heat The grannies fluid with a water heater at your house.

Could probably adapt this for my other vehicles to keep from removing the transmission cooler lines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with the Mag Hytec transmission pan it has more fluid capacity than stock. I also had changed my filter etc. & I upgraded my stock trans cooler to the Mishimoto one that is larger & it’s custom made to fit our superduty trucks. Using correct motor craft fluid. I do a lot of towing with it. I feel a lot more confident now when towing. My trans temp is a lot cooler than it was. My truck is an 05 SD

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I’d like to hear back from you after a few times towing for before and after

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,999 Posts
I have never seen the need for a larger cooler. Perhaps as these trucks age, there can be reduced performance (clogged cooler, loose fan belt, etc), but I haven't seen it yet.

The benefit of the 08 (6.4L) pan is the better filtration.

From posts from ex Ford employees (paraphrased):
"Additional fluid in the pan does not help improve cooling, it does somewhat delay the temperature rise, but it also delays the temperature fall".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok will do I just installed this setup in March. I like it so far. I do a lot of wrenching on Fords & one thing is for sure these newer type transmissions love clean & proper operating temp trans fluid & clean weatherproof electrical connections for the sensors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts