Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the shift tube on my 06 F250. Everything seemed fine until I tried to turn the steering wheel and found it was still locked. The steering wheel remains locked while the truck is running and the vehicle is in gear. The shift lock detent is moving with the key and I think its working because I can't shift with the key off.

What can be causing this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The new shift tube is a Dorman and not a factory Ford part.I noticed that the oval slot where the shift pawl moves in and out of was smaller on the Dorman.I tried enlarging it but it didn't change anything.

I walked away from it and then went back and cycled the key a few times and noticed that the key mechanism was sticking every second or third cycle.I can see the plastic linkage moving in the column when I turn the key. I've never taken the ignition switch out before but I will try to clean and lube this system.

I sprayed some dry graphite inside where the key goes and now it seems worse. I'm thinking that my problem is related to the switch and has nothing to do with the shift tube I replaced.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Dorman is a 99% walkaway from product. I know Ford and other brands are $$$ but that's the reason. I only have one example of a dorman product working and a dozen where it was nothing but issues... Dorman vac pumps for my truck, dorman sensors, dorman switches all failed/partially didn't work out of the box or within a few months. The only time its worked is for a junk car that needed window regulators. I would explore a oem part and try again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. I pulled the ignition lock assembly and the actual switch from under the column. The lock assembly was definitely sticking and as a temporary measure I cleaned it and sprayed it with some silicone lube. It now moves way more freely. The electrical switch works fine and moves freely. the two plastic pieces that connect the key to the electrical switch both move freely and actuate the shifter pawl at the top of the column.

With the lock assembly out the steering wheel remains locked. What mechanism locks the wheel? How do I check it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I'd close this one out by listing what was found.

I had replaced one of the broken strap with a home made one due to the fact it was a weekend and I would have had to order and wait for the bracket. This homemade one was squeezing the shift tube just enough to cause this locked steering.

I'm still using the Doorman shift tube and once I put some washers under the bolts that hold the strap down everything works as it should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts