Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded for a 2000 f350 6-speed the other day. The guy indicated that he had a new set of glow plugs but they needed to be installed. So after checking the relay to make sure, I went ahead and changed them out tonight. Now it starts great but it's running really rough. Almost like its only running on half of the cylinders. I'm sure I plugged everything back up. All I had to disconnect was the main plug on the drivers side valve cover, and the 2 plugs attached to the dip stick bracket going to the a/c and the rubber line going from the intake to the sensor module thing near the heater hoses on the passenger side. I re-installed everything so the only other thing I can think of is maybe I bumped some other sensor or something causing the rough idle.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I bet there are some UVCH wire or connectors loose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that doesn't stand for Under Valve Cover something

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
under valve cover harness

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I hope that's not the case. What a brilliant idea putting a wiring harness under each valve cover -_-

Also, there's no CEL on but I hooked the diagnostics up to it just for kicks. The only thing it's throwing out is P0603 - PCM Processor Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what all does the UVCH control? I know glow plugs and injectors. All of the new glow plugs seem to be doing fine but if I had an injector unplugged, wouldn't it throw a code?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
you have to have a harness under the cover for gp's and injectors, like you said.
There might be one side of it not plugged in well outside the cover.
Usually it'd throw a code.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok well at least I know the procedure for removing the valve covers now so it shouldn't take me as long as It did the first time. I'm still hopeful that it's just an unplugged harness outside of the VC's or something. If not and I do end up having to dive into this again is there anything else I need to do while I'm in there? I read somewhere to check the torq on the rocker arm and injector brackets. I'll do that and the 50 cent mod but if there's anything else I should do or look for please let me know. I don't really want to take off all of this stuff 3 times in one week.

Also the only code I'm throwing is

P0603 - PCM Processor Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

Which from my understanding is from having the batteries disconnected. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had to do the 50 (25) cent mod after my local diesel shop worked on mine for a miss. Told them to check the harness but they insisted it was an injector and put one in. When I picked it up late that night it still had the miss, or at least had it back, they said it didn't miss when they backed it out. They wanted to put in some other $500 part so I told them to take the injector back out and give me my $600 check back. After a standoff/shouting match of sorts I won. ;) 200,000 miles I've been toting that stupid quarter around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed my new clutch assembly tonight so I didn't get a chance to take the valve covers back off. I was thinking about something though. Right now the only code I'm getting from the diagnostics is what I previously mentioned. I thought before tearing it all back down, I might unplug each pigtail and run the diagnostics again. If it throws a code after I unhook the pigtails then it should be throwing the same code right now if the pigtails aren't communicating correctly correct?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys a little update. I got the valve covers back off on my lunch break. As of right now I don't see anything disconnected or loose or anything like that. All of the plugs are tight and I see no indications of a problem. I am going to make sure all of the rocker and injector brackets are torqued down correctly and do the 50 cent mod. Other than that I don't know what else I can do under the covers.

I priced some new gaskets from the local parts house. $86 each. I don't want to be out $200 on new gaskets if that's not the problem. I have a volt meter and knowledge of how to use it. Is there a write up or anything anywhere on what to test to make sure the gaskets are good? Maybe which pins on the connector to check the ohms on or something to ensure the UVCH is still okay? I still think I might have bumped a sensor or module or something somewhere the first go round but I'm glad I took the covers back off for some reassurance.

I'll try to take some pics when I get home and post them up maybe you guys will see something I don't?

Thanks again guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts