Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my fuel filters last night which turned out to be a pain in the butt. The instructions I had which I got from this great website said to jack the driver side axle up to move the drive shaft out of the way enough to gain access to the filter on the frame rail. Well tried this with no success, so I ended up just dropping the front drive shaft which made it alot easier and in no time had both filters changed. My truck seems to run alot better now they are changed. Is it normal for the truck to surge a little after changing the filters? It did it for a while but now has seemed to stop.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
My guess is, some air got in. The system would eventually purge itself and run correctly (which it sounds like it did).

I'm wondering if you couldn't have cycled the key a few times allowing the electric pump to prime the lines again and prevent the air from causing problems.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have never jacked up or removed the driveshaft to change mine. It is a little tight but not that bad:dunno:.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know I have a LWB F350 and could not get the ratchet in there to loosen the drain plug.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im about to change my fuel filters on my 06-F350. Im trying to find the how to thread thats on the forum. Can any of you kind gents point me in the right direction. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks!!! I just found it.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not have a 36MM socket so I used a crescent wrench to take the cap off. Kind of a pain but it can be done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I plan on picking one up for the next time that wrench was a pain.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
strokerX did a thread about changing ur filters also...

·
Registered
160 Posts
thanks. Whats the best to use on the 36mm. a socket and ratchet? Looks pretty easy and i am about ready to change mine for the fist time ever! Does one get fuel all over the place? Should i put a tray under before removing the plugs?
That was my next question. How much fuel comes out when you remove the plug?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah you will need something to let the fuel drain into. The directions I had said let it drain for about 30 seconds or until all the water is gone and only clean fuel is coming out. I did not have much water in mine at all just let it drain for 30 seconds.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah you will need something to let the fuel drain into. The directions I had said let it drain for about 30 seconds or until all the water is gone and only clean fuel is coming out. I did not have much water in mine at all just let it drain for 30 seconds.
About how much water/fuel comes out in that 30 seconds. I trying to figure out how big of a bucket I need.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will not need a big container not much comes out just stick small container under there I used a little bucket I had laying around the house. You could use a coffee can or cut the top off a two liter and drain it in there.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I did not have a 36MM socket so I used a crescent wrench to take the cap off. Kind of a pain but it can be done.
I'm gonna buy a socket today. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
For a socket, check your local autoparts stores in the filter wrench section, they make a 36mm short socket that is 3/8" drive and it works great!!!

It runs about $8 or $9.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
For a socket, check your local autoparts stores in the filter wrench section, they make a 36mm short socket that is 3/8" drive and it works great!!!

It runs about $8 or $9.
So, a short socket is better for this job?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You will not need a big container not much comes out just stick small container under there I used a little bucket I had laying around the house. You could use a coffee can or cut the top off a two liter and drain it in there.

Thanks!!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts